Duties and Taxes

Old Jun 29th 2017, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

kevork1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Duties and Taxes

Hi All
Hoping someone can help me with a random query and apologies if it has been answered already elsewhere, any signposting would also be appreciated.

I have been out in the Middle East for around 3 years and when I arrived I shipped a number of belongings, nothing of too much value and not a huge container, only about 5cbm in total.

I understand that if I was to ship belongings back to the UK that I may be liable for duties and taxes.

My question is, is this true for things that I brought out from the UK in the first place, and how would I evidence this.

Also, does it make any difference if I am shipping it back to the UK and returning as a resident or if shipping back to the UK and staying out in the Middle East.

Any thoughts, very welcome.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duties and Taxes

I'm not sure..... but I would say if you are shipping used items then there would be no duty.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

my mate relocated back to the UK and shipped back a lot of furniture which he had brought over from the UK. i don't think he paid any import duty, otherwise i am sure he would have mentioned it to me.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

so my mate just confirmed you wouldn't pay any import tax/duty because they are your personal belongings.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

That's god to know. Thank you.
What if I was staying as non-resident but just sending my personal belongings home to family?
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The rules have changed fairly recently and you need to apply for TOR to avoid taxes on your personal items.

Info here and it isn't complicated. If you fail to do this however, you could experience delays and even additional charges.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...r-relief-tor01
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
The rules have changed fairly recently and you need to apply for TOR to avoid taxes on your personal items.

Info here and it isn't complicated. If you fail to do this however, you could experience delays and even additional charges.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...r-relief-tor01
Well done Meow, that's great advice. This new rule passed me.

(I know above sounds sarcastic but it genuinely isn't)
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Meow
It looks like this is for transferring residency but what if you are just sending your belongings back to the uk but not moving back there to be a resident?
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:02 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevork1984
Thank you Meow
It looks like this is for transferring residency but what if you are just sending your belongings back to the uk but not moving back there to be a resident?
It still applies.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Meow.
I spoke to the VAT and customs helpline this morning and they advised that you can bring in goods up to the value of 390GBP but will have to pay excise duty and VAT on anything above that.
Does that sound right to you or did I get a bad rep
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Can anyone advise on how long the TOR form process takes.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

wouldn't the shipping agent/company be able to confirm/verify if you have to pay any taxes and how much? My mate said, the shipping company he used they gave him a quote which included everything, but he didn't pay any taxes (this was almost 2 years ago).
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:53 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by kevork1984
Can anyone advise on how long the TOR form process takes.
I understand it can be done online in most cases and it is only taking a few days.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:54 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by mission
wouldn't the shipping agent/company be able to confirm/verify if you have to pay any taxes and how much? My mate said, the shipping company he used they gave him a quote which included everything, but he didn't pay any taxes (this was almost 2 years ago).
As I said, the rules have changed. The responsibility is on the individual to do thing properly. Is your mate some kind of removal or tax expert?
Old Jun 29th 2017, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
As I said, the rules have changed. The responsibility is on the individual to do thing properly. Is your mate some kind of removal or tax expert?
err no, i was just pointing out what he did, and i did say this was TWO FRIGGING YEARS AGO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.