Reload this Page >

dutch language lessons in Dubai

dutch language lessons in Dubai

Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:38 am
Just Joined

glengirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dutch language lessons in Dubai

Hi!

I chanced upon this forum,and have spent a good hour reading through the very informative threads! Sorry for the first post being a query- but I was hoping I could get some help here. I am due to move to Rotterdam to study for my MBA next year. Since I do plan to live and work there post my studies- I'd like to learn how to speak and understand dutch to a near fluent level before I leave Dubai. Would appreciate any recommendations/contacts that I can get...thanks!
I have contacted a couple of teachers through google searches,but either the pricing or the timing has proven to be prohibitive...any information gratefully received .
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:45 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dutch language lessons in Dubai

Originally Posted by glengirl
Hi!

I chanced upon this forum,and have spent a good hour reading through the very informative threads! Sorry for the first post being a query- but I was hoping I could get some help here. I am due to move to Rotterdam to study for my MBA next year. Since I do plan to live and work there post my studies- I'd like to learn how to speak and understand dutch to a near fluent level before I leave Dubai. Would appreciate any recommendations/contacts that I can get...thanks!
I have contacted a couple of teachers through google searches,but either the pricing or the timing has proven to be prohibitive...any information gratefully received .
That's one for MH...
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
That's one for MH...
Do you think MH would be willing to teach Glengirl her native tongue?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:29 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Do you think MH would be willing to teach Glengirl her native tongue?
No idea but thought MH at least would know where to start, niet zo?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:12 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

There's a website just for this purpose:

http://www.dutchindubai.com/english/...bai/index.html
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:25 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

From my experience, the Dutch generally speak better English than anybody, including the English, so I'm not really sure that learning their language would be necessary...unless you have nothing better to do.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your replies.
@Macscot- that's the google search I did --prices too high for me
@ lionheart - true-living in the NL does not require dutch, but I've been told by many,including during my admissions interview,that dutch is really necessary in order to gain employment,and makes a difference if you'd want to work in the netherlands after your education.

thing is..ive got a good 9 months before I start my course- and I thought I could get fluent in the language in that time if I put in my bit of hard work and commitment..but the prices i have been quoted are astronomical for the beginners course..and only get more and more unaffordable as you go higher...so thought I could explore options through people's contacts on here ,someone who'd be willing to teach me ,or knew any teachers who taught children in schools, but would be willing to teach adults on a private/group basis.

Last edited by glengirl; Feb 21st 2010 at 11:33 am.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:40 am
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

@ lionheart - true-living in the NL does not require dutch, but I've been told by many,including during my admissions interview,that dutch is really necessary in order to gain employment,and makes a difference if you'd want to work in the netherlands after your education.

thing is..ive got a good 9 months before I start my course- and I thought I could get fluent in the language in that time if I put in my bit of hard work and commitment..but the prices i have been quoted are astronomical for the beginners course..and only get more and more unaffordable as you go higher...so thought I could explore options through people's contacts on here ,someone who'd be willing to teach me ,or knew any teachers who taught children in schools, but would be willing to teach adults on a private/group basis.
Try looking around for "Pimsleur's Dutch", you can download a full course (30 lessons, all in mp3) from their website or scout around for some "evaluation version"... it's enough for moving around, forget about conducting business or higher education, that's not the purpose of Pimsleur's courses (mostly done to hook up with local women) and 9 months are NOT enough, either, for that level.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:49 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

there's little chance of getting fluent in a language when you're not actually living in the country as you need to be exposed to it 24/7...a few hours a week are enough to give you the basics but that's it, if you don't speak it all the time, and hear it around you all the time it's going to be very hard.
There is a Dutch school her in Dubai, Rijnlands Lyceum, that teaches Dutch to native speakers (Dutch expat kids mostely) maybe they can help you or point you in the right direction...
It won't be easy learning Dutch even in Holland as most people speak English and they like to practice their skills on you, so you need to be really motivated.
There is a Netherlands forum here on BE where there are a few more threads about foreigners speaking Dutch etc, have a look there as well to see what they are saying.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:02 pm
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by MataHari
there's little chance of getting fluent in a language when you're not actually living in the country as you need to be exposed to it 24/7...a few hours a week are enough to give you the basics but that's it, if you don't speak it all the time, and hear it around you all the time it's going to be very hard.
There is a Dutch school her in Dubai, Rijnlands Lyceum, that teaches Dutch to native speakers (Dutch expat kids mostely) maybe they can help you or point you in the right direction...
It won't be easy learning Dutch even in Holland as most people speak English and they like to practice their skills on you, so you need to be really motivated.
There is a Netherlands forum here on BE where there are a few more threads about foreigners speaking Dutch etc, have a look there as well to see what they are saying.
Yep, what MH said, after 3.5 years in Holland, I still couldn't speak much. I (used to) understand most of what I heard but you rarely get the chance to speak as all the cloggies wanna practice their English on you (even though most are better than fluent!)
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MataHari
Thanks MataHari, what you say definitely makes sense....I think my dreams of being fluent in dutch as I arrived to school were too loftly lol. But I guess I can start learning the basics..practice them to death..and then probably expand on them once in school..Thanks for the info re Rijnlands Lyceum, would contact them and see what they say..
appreciate the reply and help.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Roadking
Yep, what MH said, after 3.5 years in Holland, I still couldn't speak much. I (used to) understand most of what I heard but you rarely get the chance to speak as all the cloggies wanna practice their English on you (even though most are better than fluent!)
Thanks Roadking..btw just to understand..how did you find the market for non -dutch speakers in terms of jobs when you were there?