Dune Bashing

Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all
Default Dune Bashing

Having got my big shiny 4x4 stuck (albeit until i remembered to put it in 4x4 mode) in the smallest bit of sand driving out to join a desert outing at the weekend. I was wondering if anyone knew of companies that do courses on desert driving (ie bashing)?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dune Bashing

Originally Posted by jrudofsky
Having got my big shiny 4x4 stuck (albeit until i remembered to put it in 4x4 mode) in the smallest bit of sand driving out to join a desert outing at the weekend. I was wondering if anyone knew of companies that do courses on desert driving (ie bashing)?
did you let down the tyres a bit?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

To be fair I am taking the piss out of myself a bit. It was literally pulling off the highway to where we were to leave coaches and cars. I happened to go through a slightly softer bit of sand without engaging 4WD. Sticking that on and wiggling the wheels side to side a bit got me out.

No I hadn't let them down a bit. I sort of understand the theory, but lack confidence and back up to try it in practice.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Britmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really nice

Crash course in desert driving: Engage 4x4 mode, get into second gear and keep your clog down, if it's an auto just clog it. Know your vehicles safe tilt angle and get a tilt meter.

A better idea is to leave the dune bashing to the locals...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair I am taking the piss out of myself a bit. It was literally pulling off the highway to where we were to leave coaches and cars. I happened to go through a slightly softer bit of sand without engaging 4WD. Sticking that on and wiggling the wheels side to side a bit got me out.

No I hadn't let them down a bit. I sort of understand the theory, but lack confidence and back up to try it in practice.
You could try this lot:

http://www.desertrangers.com/Safaris...vingcrouse.asp

I did my course with the Abu Dhabi Nat History Group - but it was a one-off type thing.....
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

That looks like the sort of thing! Thanks...did you find it useful? Ever put it into practice?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like the sort of thing! Thanks...did you find it useful? Ever put it into practice?
Yeah, it was useful..... haven't done a lot of sand driving since because most of the off-roading I do is around Hatta way so it's more wadi than dune bashing - but have used some of the techniques & equipment for pulling people out of the sand.....
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wadi driving? Is that different again? In channel's made by streams when it rains? Haven't managed to get over Hatta way but when I do i'll get some advice on routes?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:52 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

join a 4x4 club, lots of info on both these sites on how to etc. plus great bunch of people from all over to go out with. total newbies are welcome and everyone is willing to teach newcomers the hobby.

www.dubai4x4.com
www.me4x4.com

NEVER go out alone,
ALWAYS have at least 6 ltrs of water per person per day that you are going out for.

tips:
get a pressure guage, ideal is 18-15 psi on front, 12-15 on rear.
dont forget to reinflate when back on tarmac.
get an air pump, max air from ace is good.
get a recovery kit from ace, make sure its rated for the weight of your vehicle.
get a shovel
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wadi driving? Is that different again? In channel's made by streams when it rains? Haven't managed to get over Hatta way but when I do i'll get some advice on routes?
For sure it's different - riding over rocks is not the same as riding on sand; depending on the terrain you may want to increase rather than decrease your pressures. Also you need to watch the weather in the wadis - a few people end up brown bread whenever the rains come....
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shiva
join a 4x4 club, lots of info on both these sites on how to etc. plus great bunch of people from all over to go out with. total newbies are welcome and everyone is willing to teach newcomers the hobby.

www.dubai4x4.com
www.me4x4.com

NEVER go out alone,
ALWAYS have at least 6 ltrs of water per person per day that you are going out for.

tips:
get a pressure guage, ideal is 18-15 psi on front, 12-15 on rear.
dont forget to reinflate when back on tarmac.
get an air pump, max air from ace is good.
get a recovery kit from ace, make sure its rated for the weight of your vehicle.
get a shovel
you forgot sand-ladders....
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:59 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
you forgot sand-ladders....
not essential and a pain to use, also most u can buy are crap.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shiva
not essential and a pain to use, also most u can buy are crap.
You do a lot more off-roading than me - i'll take your word for it. Metal ones suck, but GRP is nice & grippy....
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:35 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
You do a lot more off-roading than me - i'll take your word for it. Metal ones suck, but GRP is nice & grippy....
would love a set of grp ones. cant find anyone who'll sell me less than would kit out an oil rig though
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looks like perhaps a 4hr lesson to get the basics and then trying to get in touch with one of the groups is a good idea. Oh and of course getting all the kit.....which goes without saying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.