Due tax payment advice

Old Jun 19th 2022, 4:05 pm
A2D
Just Joined

A2D is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Due tax payment advice

Hi,
I prefer to summarise my case as follows
  1. I was working full time in a permanent job in England before taking a leave to move to Dubai in January 2020 to start a new full time job.
  2. My wife and my kid remained in England.
  3. Moved back to England in April 2020 while continuing my Dubai job remotely. I had to move back to England due to the pandemic but also to support my wife as her health started to deteriorate; I have medical notes to support my claim.
  4. I was summoned to move back to Dubai in September 2020; I had no option but to leave my family behind.
  5. In November 2020, I informed my line manager that I must go back to England to support my wife; she ended up accepting while requesting that my family moves to Dubai once my wife completes all her medical tests.
  6. In January 2021, I moved back to Dubai along with my family
  7. In August 2021 , I moved back to England . I resigned from my UK job in September. I have been living in Dubai alone since then.
I have not contacted the HMRC since I first left England in January 2020. I was overwhelmed especially with the deterioration of my wife's health, the pandemic etc.
Any advice on how to resolve my case with the HMRC? Is there any good financial adviser in Dubai who can help me completing all the paper work? If not much asking how much tax I have to pay? I presume I have to pay tax on all my income in the fiscal year 2020-2021. Is there any chance for the HMRC to waive this as I was forced to go back to England.

The council at my home address is still considering me a resident as my only (mortgaged) house, according to them, is in England. I gather I can't stay more than 30 days in England otherwise I'll have to pay the full tax in my income here, right?

Thank you
Old Jun 20th 2022, 10:20 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Due tax payment advice

Hi A2D,

The rules surrounding residence are complex especially since the introduction of the Statutory Residence Test (SRT) by HMRC with effect from the 2013/14 tax year.

Your circumstances would need to be looked at in detail.
Old Jun 20th 2022, 2:36 pm
A2D
Just Joined

A2D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Due tax payment advice

Originally Posted by TopNik
Hi A2D,

The rules surrounding residence are complex especially since the introduction of the Statutory Residence Test (SRT) by HMRC with effect from the 2013/14 tax year.

Your circumstances would need to be looked at in detail.
Many thanks @TopNik for your response. Do you know any good financial adviser to approach? Thank you.