Dubizzle Story

Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road
Default Dubizzle Story

I have put our old gas cooker for sale on Dubizzle It's on sale for 800 dirhams which is an OK price considering it was purchased for 1800 dirhams and has only had one year's use, however people obviously want to negotiate the price downwards.

Now, in the UK or the States, there is a certain level of politeness you just get used to as a matter of course. I'm not even saying that you automatically would expect a 'please' or a 'thank you' these days, but there is just a level of common courtesy you expect.

Here in la-la land, you just don't get that.

If someone wants to email me to see if I am willing to drop the price you would be pretty amazed if it read 'I read your advert on dubizzle regarding the sale of your gas cooker. Please could you let me know if you are willing to drop the price? Thank you'. What you learn to live with are messages which I have received which simply read 'what is your final price'. No more, no less, just 'what is your final price'. That's pretty normal.

However I just had to laugh at the latest message (and bear in mind the sale price) which read in its entirety:

'400'.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubizzle Story

Your response should be:
'No'
Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

haha, my brother's advice was to reply in very large letters:

'800. 8-0-0. EIGHT HUNDRED'.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:14 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Should have said "OK" then given him an address miles away from where you are.

Then report him for a bad buyer.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:34 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

450?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

At least you had the courtesy to end your 450 with a question mark!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 4:34 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shandolier
I have put our old gas cooker for sale on Dubizzle It's on sale for 800 dirhams which is an OK price considering it was purchased for 1800 dirhams and has only had one year's use, however people obviously want to negotiate the price downwards.

Now, in the UK or the States, there is a certain level of politeness you just get used to as a matter of course. I'm not even saying that you automatically would expect a 'please' or a 'thank you' these days, but there is just a level of common courtesy you expect.

Here in la-la land, you just don't get that.

If someone wants to email me to see if I am willing to drop the price you would be pretty amazed if it read 'I read your advert on dubizzle regarding the sale of your gas cooker. Please could you let me know if you are willing to drop the price? Thank you'. What you learn to live with are messages which I have received which simply read 'what is your final price'. No more, no less, just 'what is your final price'. That's pretty normal.

However I just had to laugh at the latest message (and bear in mind the sale price) which read in its entirety:

'400'.
yeah I had loads of that, don't mind a wee bit of haggling when they come and see it, but get loads of arabs adn indians who ring and say 'best price'?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:07 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
yeah I had loads of that, don't mind a wee bit of haggling when they come and see it, but get loads of arabs adn indians who ring and say 'best price'?
and then ask if you can deliver it?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:42 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai or AD?

I need a new cooker.

Actually i need bloody everything.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

if you ask 800 of course they're going to offer 400... it's standard practice in the middle east... whatever the asking price is, offer 50% (i'm not even joking)
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

If you've been here long enough to be selling things, you should be aware of the ****ish way these things are done.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

I may well have a 1 bedroom apartment's full furniture and white goods available on Sept 4 if you are interested.

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Dubai or AD?

I need a new cooker.

Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Dubai or AD?

I need a new cooker.

I have a cooker and dishwasher available next week.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:30 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I have a cooker and dishwasher available next week.
What does she look like?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
450?
I'm with Bahtatboy on this...

go back and say 425. He agrees, say you have had a re-think and you need 450 but can deliver it.

Let him down on the delivery, and tell him he needs to come to you (with directions for somewhere miles away) and give him a mobile number (not yours of course).

When you get the email the next day, you start the process again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.