Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubailand - The Villa

Dubailand - The Villa

Old Jun 30th 2017, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dubailand - The Villa

A lot of people (all over Dubai) seem to leave their whole house AC on day and night. We only use the a/c in the rooms we are in at that time, and have installed split ACs which cool the room in a minute and are pretty cheap. I don't understand how people can afford to leave the whole house running all the time. 5k for a large house (with a pool/pool pump running) with a/c on in every room 24/7 and then tons of watering for grass would not be a surprise.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
A lot of people (all over Dubai) seem to leave their whole house AC on day and night. We only use the a/c in the rooms we are in at that time, and have installed split ACs which cool the room in a minute and are pretty cheap. I don't understand how people can afford to leave the whole house running all the time. 5k for a large house (with a pool/pool pump running) with a/c on in every room 24/7 and then tons of watering for grass would not be a surprise.
All well and good if your not using the rooms ..... in some circumstances can also be a false economy turning off AC, letting a room get hot then turning it back on at full tilt to chill it rather than leave it on low in the first place ..... of course every home and AC set up is different
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 10:12 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

What amazes me is the number of people who seem to run their AC at 20c and then wonder why it is so expensive.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the best way to run A/C? What temp and to leave it running for longer periods of time or start/stop whenever required?
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taz786
What is the best way to run A/C? What temp and to leave it running for longer periods of time or start/stop whenever required?
24C
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

My apartment is quite large, controlled by two units - one in bedroom, one for living areas.

If you want to be really anal, closing curtains and sealing gaps can help a lot. I don't bother.

We get morning sun to about lunchtime then we're shaded, but with sliding triple doors to main balcony, another balcony with door and window and another window, the lounge / kitchen can take a battering.

I turn off at night when going to bedroom.
I turn on in the day and put on 25 or 26 just to keep air moving. Then when I'm in I generally drop it to 22 or 23 or 24 depending on what's what or how I'm feeling.

I think if you left it at 24 constantly you would be fine but if I don't have it on during the day, coming home means walking into a very hot apartment and it just takes a while to get it cooler, will struggle a bit to get there and then you turn it off and have used it massively for a few hours instead of on/off for a day.

24 is what they all recommend I think. It's fine until I eat, because that makes me hot.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 12:42 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

24 is what they all recommend I think. It's fine until I eat, because that makes me hot.
Who is 'they'?

My AC is set permanently at 26c. That's fine unless I am cooking for ages or on the rare occasion I do some housework. It is left on at that when we are away for the benefit of my cats. It's a perfect temperature.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

24 ish for me. Have it off all day when I am out and on all night until I leave.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
Who is 'they'?

My AC is set permanently at 26c. That's fine unless I am cooking for ages or on the rare occasion I do some housework. It is left on at that when we are away for the benefit of my cats. It's a perfect temperature.
Empower 8 steps to 24
DEWA 24 degree advice

It seems to be the number that gets the hot press as suggested levels you might find comfortable.

Mine is generally cooler, I know lots (like you) who have it higher.

My bedroom is a balmy 20 degrees
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Who is 'they'?

Government utility company
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Will try keeping it on 24 as the wife has an obsession for it to be on.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

She may not when the first bill comes in....haha.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

She may not when the first bill comes in....haha.
She doesn't know the previous bill amounts and don't want to come across being stingy if it makes her life easier and bearable.

But if I can save by keeping a temp at a set amount, I may aswell try. Every penny counts.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

She doesn't know the previous bill amounts and don't want to come across being stingy if it makes her life easier and bearable.

But if I can save by keeping a temp at a set amount, I may aswell try. Every penny counts.
I've just had the summer bill + quarterly standing. Ends up being a really painfully expensive experience. In fact, I haven't paid it yet....
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I've just had the summer bill + quarterly standing. Ends up being a really painfully expensive experience. In fact, I haven't paid it yet....
I just got my first bill after being in for 6months... That was fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.