Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai World Cup - General Advice

Dubai World Cup - General Advice

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Shedinburgh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai World Cup - General Advice

Hi, Firstly I need to admit that I am not relocating to Dubai, only coming for some holiday later this week, but I hope that will not prevent you from sharing any advice, I just thought that it would be better to ask questions from locals!

I have seen the thread ref dress code for the DWC this weekend but am also interested in any other general advice and recommendations that you may have?
Tips on getting there and away?

Thoughts on whether it is worth sticking around for the post-racing concert?

Pro's and con's on ticket choice? If I just get Apron access does that mean we will be on our feet all day or are there plenty of seating, eating and drinking options? We want to make the effort and dress up smart so would this influence where we might want to sit / watch?

Having a flutter - I think that there is no on course betting so how do locals do it? Via the phone, web etc?

Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai World Cup - General Advice

not sure anyone will really be able to give you any advice on this, as it's a totally new set up this year...

be aware in the past it has been a bit of a shambles organisation-wise...this year can only be worse as it's all new and there will be more people...getting home is unbelievably bad...

apart from that, sure it will be great, lol...

MM, xx
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:25 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was already sold out? but saying that it can't be as that place is huge!!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

There are still tickets avail.
For the 1st time in 6 years I am not going, although I have been invited by Jumeirah Group to the Meydan hotel for dinner.
I just think it is going to be a nightmare. The underground carpark is the size of a small village and unless you have "hospitality" tickets you don't get a designated carpark pass and have to park in the general parking area.
The 1 time I went to the races this year it was madness. We spent 20 minutes being directed to wrong areas.
The grandstand isn't finished, the washrooms are inadequate and the whole place was covered in building dust.

Add into the mix that some people will be arriving for the concert as others are leaving I dread to think what the taxi wait time will be!!

Shedinburgh..the apron views will have plenty of seating and choice of venues... the grandstand seating starts at 750dhs but that is just "bum on seat" you have to go and get your own drinks or food from inside the grandstand.
there is more info here
http://www.dubairacingclub.com/dubai...-dining/dining

Funny though, I haven't spoken to 1 person who is going this year or who knows of anybody going. It will be interesting!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shedinburgh
Hi, Firstly I need to admit that I am not relocating to Dubai, only coming for some holiday later this week, but I hope that will not prevent you from sharing any advice, I just thought that it would be better to ask questions from locals!

I have seen the thread ref dress code for the DWC this weekend but am also interested in any other general advice and recommendations that you may have?
Tips on getting there and away?

Thoughts on whether it is worth sticking around for the post-racing concert?

Pro's and con's on ticket choice? If I just get Apron access does that mean we will be on our feet all day or are there plenty of seating, eating and drinking options? We want to make the effort and dress up smart so would this influence where we might want to sit / watch?

Having a flutter - I think that there is no on course betting so how do locals do it? Via the phone, web etc?

Thanks!
Hello Shed, and welcome.

The concert - is that the Elton John/Santana jobby? Elton John used to be superb live, but in recent years he's descended into self-parody. And if he hasn't got his own band with him, forget it.

Now then - you're coming for a holiday - may I ask what sort of deal you've managed to obtain? Hopefully, the economic shambles that is now Dubai is reflected in sharply lower hotel rates, etc, but knowing the place as I do, I fear that this will not be the case............. idiots.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:08 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
There are still tickets avail.
For the 1st time in 6 years I am not going, although I have been invited by Jumeirah Group to the Meydan hotel for dinner.
I just think it is going to be a nightmare. The underground carpark is the size of a small village and unless you have "hospitality" tickets you don't get a designated carpark pass and have to park in the general parking area.
The 1 time I went to the races this year it was madness. We spent 20 minutes being directed to wrong areas.
The grandstand isn't finished, the washrooms are inadequate and the whole place was covered in building dust.

Add into the mix that some people will be arriving for the concert as others are leaving I dread to think what the taxi wait time will be!!

Shedinburgh..the apron views will have plenty of seating and choice of venues... the grandstand seating starts at 750dhs but that is just "bum on seat" you have to go and get your own drinks or food from inside the grandstand.
there is more info here
http://www.dubairacingclub.com/dubai...-dining/dining

Funny though, I haven't spoken to 1 person who is going this year or who knows of anybody going. It will be interesting!
me neither, apart from Justin but he has a runner so he won't miss that, no one else is bothering.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
me neither, apart from Justin but he has a runner so he won't miss that, no one else is bothering.
Oh! How is he? Send him my love....does his nag have a chance?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:41 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Oh! How is he? Send him my love....does his nag have a chance?
I am not sure, I have only been to the racing once this season, went for opening of Meydan. Prince Shaun is his runner, look him up I posted chinese phone no on other thread too.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Shedinburgh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
Hello Shed, and welcome.

The concert - is that the Elton John/Santana jobby? Elton John used to be superb live, but in recent years he's descended into self-parody. And if he hasn't got his own band with him, forget it.

Now then - you're coming for a holiday - may I ask what sort of deal you've managed to obtain? Hopefully, the economic shambles that is now Dubai is reflected in sharply lower hotel rates, etc, but knowing the place as I do, I fear that this will not be the case............. idiots.
Yeah, we were not so convinced about the concert and I am sure that Mrs Shedinburgh's feet will have had enough of standing up in her heels by that time!
So given your comments I am not too sure what we will do as I have not been hit by much enthusiasm! Comments appreciated all the same.

Ref the holiday question I am afraid that the deals were fairly few and far between when we booked given that we are approaching Easter and we thought also that the place was busy due to the DWC. We booked flights and hotel separately the Friday before last. By the Sunday, the flights had doubled in price and the hotel (Grosvenor House) had no availability.

Unfortunately due to pressures back home we were not able to switch our dates to a quieter time, that said, we are just happy to get away from our jobs for a week!

Thanks again for all advice and comments and will let you know if we end up going to the races!