Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai...where to live?

Dubai...where to live?

Old Sep 15th 2015, 8:35 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai...where to live?

In my view that would rule out anything Jebel Ali end of Dubai (eg JLT) because the commute would be an arse. Not familiar with the residential areas closer to where you'll be, but others on here will be.

(shades for UV protection)
Old Sep 15th 2015, 8:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by super_hans
Well sunshine, at what point did I infer that anyone was obliged to do anything? I made a perfectly civil request, got a couple of helpful answers for which I was grateful.

As for location, well it is on the eastern edge of Dubai about level with the airport.
You may have have worked out that Eastern is not a term used around here regarding locations as it doesn't really make any sense in a city of this size and shape. And also, which airport?

Looks to me that people are trying to help but it's rather hard when you won't/can't give some facts. You weren't wrong when you said you were bad-tempered were you?

Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

super_hans is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, I'm having a good day.
Looking at a map Al Khawaneej is the nearest area.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I'm having a good day.
Looking at a map Al Khawaneej is the nearest area.
that's the middle-eastern side
Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Well sunshine, at what point did I infer that anyone was obliged to do anything? I made a perfectly civil request, got a couple of helpful answers for which I was grateful.

As for location, well it is on the eastern edge of Dubai about level with the airport.
Have a look at Silicon Oasis and Mirdif.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice, I had been having a look at what's available in Mirdif and it looks favourite, I'll have a quick scan and Silicon Oasis too.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Thanks for the advice, I had been having a look at what's available in Mirdif and it looks favourite, I'll have a quick scan and Silicon Oasis too.
Silicon is alright. I was there for a short while. It's quiet and lots of half decent apartments. Easy to get on Emirates road and you can be in Downtown in 15ish.

Miridf I know less about, my Mrs teaches in / near Khawaneej and it appears to be purely resi, more villas than apartments but definitely seen some mid rise apartments there.

Just be cautious because you are in / around / under / directly below the flight path for landings in bits of / all of Mirdif. Some say there are better bits that aren't noisy, some say you get used to it, but I couldn't say where is better / worse for the noise.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Silicon is alright. I was there for a short while. It's quiet and lots of half decent apartments. Easy to get on Emirates road and you can be in Downtown in 15ish.

Miridf I know less about, my Mrs teaches in / near Khawaneej and it appears to be purely resi, more villas than apartments but definitely seen some mid rise apartments there.

Just be cautious because you are in / around / under / directly below the flight path for landings in bits of / all of Mirdif. Some say there are better bits that aren't noisy, some say you get used to it, but I couldn't say where is better / worse for the noise.
Lived in mirdif for a year- great place. noise is nothing to worry about - the traffic, however is.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Lived in mirdif for a year- great place. noise is nothing to worry about - the traffic, however is.
If you say so, I have no idea. Some people never seemed bothered, others have. But you get more for your money out there don't you...?
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:12 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

See...we're generally ok.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

I never really doubted it. In way of mitigation for my bad temper this is now my 10th week in Jeddah without escaping and generally my mood can be charted like some form of exponential curve of weeks to bad temper....and Hajj is just about to start, wonderful.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

WTF is well it is on the eastern edge of Dubai about level with the airport

Jeeze dude don't you know the name of the frigging area/s?
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

ok just read the rest of the comments....ain't got a clue where Al Khawaneej is
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

I now take back my previous comment about never really doubting it.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 11:16 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
In some streets the planes go directly overhead and are LOUD. I was at a client's place last week that is directly under the flight path and even they say it's annoying - but stay for a cheap rent.

It may be the equivalent of living on a busy road but surely no one does either if they have a choice? I maintain that some parts of Mirdif are worse then others but agree that the traffic can be a right pain around there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.