Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai...where to live?

Dubai...where to live?

Old Sep 14th 2015, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

super_hans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai...where to live?

Well, looks like I shall be leaving Jeddah behind and heading to Dubai.

Would appreciate peoples opinions on best place to live. I'm a typically cynical, bad tempered,white middle aged male whose family live in the UK. Just looking for a 1 bed place, reasonably priced so I can wring some extra out of the accommodation allowance. Don't need to be at the centre of things or living any kind of dream but neither do I want to slum it.

Opinions appreciated.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai...where to live?

Where do you work?

What's your actual budget?

If office is in south end of Dubai (Jebel Ali) there's cheap housing in Jebel Ali village that's decent enough. Jumeirah Village Circle has reasonably priced apartments. As does Sports City. All within easy reach of JA although the traffic can be a mare.

If you're willing to spend up to 80K then you can find a basic one bedroom in the Marina or JLT, which would be even easier for Jebel Ali due to the traffic and be a decent base for the family when they come over to visit.

Originally Posted by super_hans
Well, looks like I shall be leaving Jeddah behind and heading to Dubai.

Would appreciate peoples opinions on best place to live. I'm a typically cynical, bad tempered,white middle aged male whose family live in the UK. Just looking for a 1 bed place, reasonably priced so I can wring some extra out of the accommodation allowance. Don't need to be at the centre of things or living any kind of dream but neither do I want to slum it.

Opinions appreciated.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, I was looking to spend 80-90K, had noticed Sports city seems to have some sensibly priced places.
I've been living in Jeddah, traffic don't scare me anymore.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 9:39 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I was looking to spend 80-90K, had noticed Sports city seems to have some sensibly priced places.
I've been living in Jeddah, traffic don't scare me anymore.
It's not the scare factor, it's the time factor. Make sure that you know the traffic situation at your likely travel times before signing on the dotted line. And don't trust the estate agents, although I guess you knew that already.

I lived next to JLT for a couple of years--was good, but not the best bang for your buck.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Just the estate agents? I don't trust anyone.

So where would recommend for maximum bang for your buck? I shall be working on the east side of Dubai.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

It's changed a lot from when I left Dubai in 2012 and was pretty surprised upon returning this year. Lots of new reasonably priced restaurants and cafes covering all sorts of cuisines. I rather like it, even more than the Marina. Quiet and easier to get in/out yet the Marina is an easy walk. It's the district cooling that I don't like

But agreed on the traffic comment. The access links to the major residential communities and workplaces are so badly designed in Dubai that it's gridlock everywhere you go unless you organise it very carefully.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
It's not the scare factor, it's the time factor. Make sure that you know the traffic situation at your likely travel times before signing on the dotted line. And don't trust the estate agents, although I guess you knew that already.

I lived next to JLT for a couple of years--was good, but not the best bang for your buck.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Just the estate agents? I don't trust anyone.

So where would recommend for maximum bang for your buck? I shall be working on the east side of Dubai.
whats the east side of Dubai?
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
The desert....
Old Sep 15th 2015, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mission
Fujairah?
Old Sep 15th 2015, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Well, thanks for your help. Oh hang on, I think I might be confusing help with smart arse comments. Never mind.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 6:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Well, thanks for your help. Oh hang on, I think I might be confusing help with smart arse comments. Never mind.
'East Dubai' is about as helpful as saying your office is in 'Dubai'.

So...where is your office? Then I can try and suggest some good home locations.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

But you still haven't said exactly where in Dubai you will be working. You can get plenty of value for your buck around Dubai Creek, but that's no good if you are working in JLT.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 6:43 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

We're not obliged to help, sunshine. The banter's happened whilst waiting for you to give us the information so we can actually help.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 8:17 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
We're not obliged to help, sunshine. The banter's happened whilst waiting for you to give us the information so we can actually help.
we do try but people don't make it easy for us not to descend into bun fights and thread hijacking
Old Sep 15th 2015, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Well sunshine, at what point did I infer that anyone was obliged to do anything? I made a perfectly civil request, got a couple of helpful answers for which I was grateful.

As for location, well it is on the eastern edge of Dubai about level with the airport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.