Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai: where to live?

Dubai: where to live?

Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of
Default Dubai: where to live?

Hi everyone,

I have been working for Dubai from the UK. In the last year I made a few short trips to DXB. I always asked to stay in Deira and Bur Dubai as I like walking and getting to know the old Dubai. I have also been to Trade Centre, Marina, and a few other places but never looking to rent. I know how to use the search function in the forum but looking for new feedback, new opportunities.

Now the time came for us to move to Dubai for a few years and I will be looking for accomodation for me, wife, daughter and a nanny who is family for us (not a maid). We would like three bedroom and while we could pay over 200K, we really would like to settle for the 170K mark. I am ready to negotiate hard and I am not in a rush as employer could provide upto 2 months of paid accomodation.

I will be working in Trade Centre and I hate driving. Our first option was Arabian Ranches but now they started to look a little to far for us, specially with a baby and a nanny. My wife is hoping to find a job despite the crises. We trust my employer wasta for that.

What other options do we have for 170K and not too far from Trade Centre. Mirdif? Any chance to find a non-noisy villa? Also thought the new apartments in Downtown Dubai but are there any families there? It looked to me like there were only single and young professional couples with no kids there... but I have not been there in a few months. Also, in the UK we live in a house but we have lived before mostly in apartments.

Any advise is welcomed. I have read the explorer and know quite a lot about Dubai from the economic point of view because of my job but now looking for a place to live. Ideally, it would be to start in May or June.

Cheers,

Klaus

PS: Mantronic does not need to answer.
PS2: would like to join some footie after the summer months are over.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dubai: where to live?

Originally Posted by klaus3974
I will be working in Trade Centre and I hate driving.
Barsha and Jumeirah 1/Al-Wasl for villas and atmosphere. The Burj Dubai area for convenience and soulless-ness.

Mirdiff is not a 'quick' commute to Trade Centre, unless you can get to the BB crossing from your villa in 5- 10 mins - for most, it takes longer just to get out of Mirdiff.

Or you could live on the Palm and employ a driver
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:56 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Mirdiff is definately in that price range and it wouldn't be a bad commute and you would get more for your money over there. I have been looking recently for stuff in the Al Wasl area but nothing seems to come at 170k but if you have time to wait I am sure they will drop a bit more by the summer time. Good luck Klaus.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:01 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

oo, well... if you're looking to move in in the next couple of months, we've got a lovely 2 bed apartment in JBR that'll need some tenants!

ok, so I admit it's not exactly the 3 bed place near the Trade Centre you're looking for, but it's a great location... 35th floor, marina view... er... walls are white... er...

If anyone else is interested, please do PM me.

oh, and I won't charge agency fees... and the landlord is ace!

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Mar 12th 2009 at 8:03 am. Reason: getting desperate on the sales-pitch. Must stop now.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:03 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
oo, well... if you're looking to move in in the next couple of months, we've got a lovely 2 bed apartment in JBR that'll need some tenants!

ok, so I admit it's not exactly the 3 bed place near the Trade Centre you're looking for, but it's a great location... 35th floor, marina view... er... walls are white... er...

If anyone else is interested, please do PM me.

oh, and I won't charge agency fees... and the landlord is ace!
90K?? 12 cheques?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:33 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

If you work in Trade Centre and hate driving, why were Arabian Ranches and Mirdiff your inital choices? Why not Downtown Burj Dubai or whatever they call that new area behind Dubai Mall? Much closer to work.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

there are 4 bed villas coming on the market now in jumeirah and um suquiem for 190/200k...these areas would be ideal for you...

someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you may have problems sponsoring the nanny...??

MM, xx
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:47 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
there are 4 bed villas coming on the market now in jumeirah and um suquiem for 190/200k...these areas would be ideal for you...

someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you may have problems sponsoring the nanny...??

MM, xx
I am not 100% sure but it depends on the nationality
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Thanks all for the replay.

I liked Mirdif when I visited cause did not look too artificial. However, we lived in NYC close to the airport and did not like the experience. Are there parts of Mirdif plane/russian cargo free?

Lionheart, we thought first about the Springs but we did not like the villas: too small and too run down. Some colleagues live in Arabian Ranches and they looked nice to us but very far... we may consider old town cause it is convinient but we prefer a Villa so Mirdif or Jumeirah could be a good match.

Thanks for the concern about the nanny. Fortunately my job is government related (I met THE big boss on my first day in Dubai) and they told me they will get authorization for whoever I want. Nice, right?

Happy to hear more recommendation. Never thought of Al Wasl. Thanks!

BTW... this is my post number 100!!! What do I get?

Cheers
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:22 am
Concierge

sent you some karma

I would hang on a bit and wait and see if prices come down, failing that get the Big Boss to find you somewhere
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the Karma.

I think you know where I work... so it is normal to see Mo around at least once a month. Too bad he only shakes hand and smile... never a Villa or something
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:33 am
Concierge

Thanks for the Karma.

I think you know where I work... so it is normal to see Mo around at least once a month. Too bad he only shakes hand and smile... never a Villa or something
spiteful eh! he has plenty of them as well
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

The DEWA bill will take half my salary if I have to water his gardens...
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:52 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck there... heard some interesting stories about it from consultant friends of mine who've worked on projects with them.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by typical
Good luck there... heard some interesting stories about it from consultant friends of mine who've worked on projects with them.
Hahaha... maybe the same kind of stories I heard... and that is why I have never accepted a job in the GCC as a consultant. I am in a different kind of "business".