Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Water Activation?

Dubai Water Activation?

Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:37 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai Water Activation?

I just rented an apt for a year in Dubai Marina from a british landlord. I got the keys from the security hut and went up to the apartment. The water appeared to be turned off, nothing came out of any spigots when i turned it on.

I called emrill (property manager) and asked them why this was, they said i needed to go to DEWA and activate my water and electricity (the electric was on when i first went up there, but i put it in my name). I went to DEWA today and did what I was supposed to do, and i'm going to stop by the apt after work to make sure the water is working now.

Does DEWA actually disconnect the water to the unit when there is no name on the account, or is this something to do with this unit, requiring a call to the property manager to resolve?
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai Water Activation?

Dewa actually turns everything off. By the way, if the electricity is off when you go back to the flat (as long as DEWA have confirmed they have activated the account) all you need to do is find the trip switch for the whole house - it saves you waiting for hours for a DEWA person to come out and flick the switch. As you are probably the first tenant in there keep an eye on your first bill as well. Recently DEWA tried to charge me for a load of electricity dated from before I moved in.
With the water they need to activate your account.
Hope this is of some help.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:40 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Water Activation?

Thanks nevi, that's good to know, hopefully the water is activated by the time i get there tonight. It has never been lived in, so there is quite a bit of dust around that i need a cleaning crew to come in and take care of, which they will obviously need water to do. There was an 800 dhs balance on the account from, i assume, workers and other people in there since it was completed and before i rented it. I'm just going to pay it and take it out of the second rent check (in 6 months) to the british landlord, you brits are pretty easy to work with if you are all like her. I figured out the trip switch when i went in there the first time, and left it on (with all the lights off).

By the way, i learned rather easily that broker comissions are negotiable, just make sure you don't pay him until after the deal is signed, you can get quite a nice discount.