Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai vs Abu Dhabi vs Qatar

Dubai vs Abu Dhabi vs Qatar

Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai vs Abu Dhabi vs Qatar

Hi folks

I've popped over from the Malaysian forum as hubby is considering a job in the Middle East.

We've been in Asia for 6 years (4 years in Singapore and 2 years in Malaysia). I used this forum a lot when we were moving between those two and found people very helpful. I've continued to use it and try to help others in the same situation so I hope you'll forgive my total newbie questions!

Most of the work would be in Dubai but the employer does not mind where we locate ourselves so considering Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Qatar.

We are a family of four - two kids aged 9 and 6. Hubby and I are mid 40s. Can you please give me your opinions on:

1. Which of the three countries you'd choose and why.
2. Best area to live in these countries - we don't like to be right in the city.
3. The old schools question. Preferences? Probably looking for an IB school.
4. Housing costs and cost of living costs?
5. Is bringing a pet (in our case a dog) into any of these countries straightforward?
6. Head is swirling at the moment but can't think of any other relevant questions although I'm sure I have many!

Off to do more research but would greatly appreciate any insider info you can offer.

Thanks.

Bocat.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai vs Abu Dhabi vs Qatar

If most of the work is in Dubai, then that makes most sense. Probably the most pet friendly. Unless you're working in Qatar, discount it as a non starter - even people working there scoot to Dubai to decompress!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks OleJanx. I know Dubai probably makes more sense but I get the impression it might get a bit much after a while (a bit like Singapore). We're looking for a long term move as I really don't want to move the kids again if we can help it.

Very difficult when I've never been to either country. At least Mr Bocat has been to Abu Dhabi (briefly though).
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bocat
Thanks OleJanx. I know Dubai probably makes more sense but I get the impression it might get a bit much after a while (a bit like Singapore). We're looking for a long term move as I really don't want to move the kids again if we can help it.

Very difficult when I've never been to either country. At least Mr Bocat has been to Abu Dhabi (briefly though).
Qatar is small and sometimes claustrophobic - hence people escaping to Dubai. If you look carefully, you don't have to be right in the middle of everything in Dubai. Some like it, others not, but it still offers a great deal more than Qatar. Abu Dhabi is somewhere between the two, more staid than Dubai, more laid back than Qatar, but housing and rents in AUH are a bit unpredictable at the moment.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Qatar sounds a bit like Singapore then. I loved our time there but it's ridiculously expensive and does get a bit claustrophobic after a while.

I need to do a lot more research but appreciate any info you can give - thank you.

Excuse my ignorance - AUH??? Abu Dhabi?

Just to give another piece of info - we liked Singapore more than Malaysia (we're in Johor not KL) as we liked to mix with both the locals and expats and found the locals there very very friendly - especially with kids. In Malaysia I feel like we live in a bit of an expat bubble (which is not so appealing) and although people are always talking about how friendly Malaysians are, I've yet to find one! (A friend I spoke to yesterday said the same thing so I know it's not just me!!)
Old Jul 24th 2014, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Qatar sounds a bit like Singapore then. I loved our time there but it's ridiculously expensive and does get a bit claustrophobic after a while.

I need to do a lot more research but appreciate any info you can give - thank you.

Excuse my ignorance - AUH??? Abu Dhabi?

Just to give another piece of info - we liked Singapore more than Malaysia (we're in Johor not KL) as we liked to mix with both the locals and expats and found the locals there very very friendly - especially with kids. In Malaysia I feel like we live in a bit of an expat bubble (which is not so appealing) and although people are always talking about how friendly Malaysians are, I've yet to find one! (A friend I spoke to yesterday said the same thing so I know it's not just me!!)
AUH is the airport code for Abu Dhabi - like LHR for Heathrow. Sorry, Too used to people knowing the Gulf airport codes. Singapore doesn't sound too dissimilar to Qatar, both good and bad. Malaysia sounds more like Kuwait...( not so good -aloof locals, dismal country, corruption rife)
Going back to the subject in hand, Dubai is more relaxed and accomodating than anywhere else in the Gulf. Bahrain is stuck in the past, and Oman is looking more and more uncertain.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

If you discount Qatar, as a parent I would choose Dubai over Abu Dhabi. I have been told that housing is less expensive and more choice in Dubai versus AD and more schools and easier to get into in Dubai versus AD.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies guys. Fingers crossed he gets everything signed and sealed soon!
Old Jul 25th 2014, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

we moved back to Dubai last year after nearly 5 years in Singapore.
Dubai is a lot less claustrophobic than Singapore for sure. At lot more space and a lot less reliance on public transport. Cost of living in Dubai is also a lot less than Singapore.

main thing that is missing is the ability to head off to interesting and relaxing locations for long weekends like you can do from Singapore.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your feedback Inselaffen. Sounds like it wouldn't be a bad move for us either. I know what you mean about the holiday options. It's the one regret I'll have if we move as I feel that we haven't visited as many places as I'd have liked to but hey ho - still more than if we'd been at home all this time!

Does anyone have any feedback on Deira International School in Festival City?

Also - what would be your preferred place to live and why?

Thank you!
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

as we liked to mix with both the locals and expats and found the locals there very very friendly - especially with kids. In Malaysia I feel like we live in a bit of an expat bubble (which is not so appealing) and although people are always talking about how friendly Malaysians are, I've yet to find one! (A friend I spoke to yesterday said the same thing so I know it's not just me!!)
You do not mix with the locals in Qatar. The only life in Qatar is to live in an expat bubble.

The only country in GCC where you mix with locals is Oman
Old Aug 16th 2014, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

baylissboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar, Bahrain or Abu Dhabi?

I'm in the process of a job search in the above areas, I've found 3 possible positions, but as I've no experience of living/working in any of the countries I'm hoping you guys will have some good advice for me.
I'll be bringing both my wife & children with me, kids are 7 & 6, so finding good schools will be a big factor.
Assuming that all 3 positions will come with a similar salary & benefits, ie housing allowance, health care, schooling allowance, car, flights home etc which country would you guys suggest as being the most attractive when taking into account quality of schools & general life quality?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 17th 2014, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks

I've popped over from the Malaysian forum as hubby is considering a job in the Middle East.

We've been in Asia for 6 years (4 years in Singapore and 2 years in Malaysia). I used this forum a lot when we were moving between those two and found people very helpful. I've continued to use it and try to help others in the same situation so I hope you'll forgive my total newbie questions!

Most of the work would be in Dubai but the employer does not mind where we locate ourselves so considering Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Qatar.

We are a family of four - two kids aged 9 and 6. Hubby and I are mid 40s. Can you please give me your opinions on:

1. Which of the three countries you'd choose and why.
2. Best area to live in these countries - we don't like to be right in the city.
3. The old schools question. Preferences? Probably looking for an IB school.
4. Housing costs and cost of living costs?
5. Is bringing a pet (in our case a dog) into any of these countries straightforward?
6. Head is swirling at the moment but can't think of any other relevant questions although I'm sure I have many!

Off to do more research but would greatly appreciate any insider info you can offer.

Thanks.

Bocat.
Ive worked in them all and im currently in Qatar and my advice would be Dubai everyday of the week , it's the best place in the Middle East by miles for me.

More choice in every single aspect of your life in The Gulf and that's one of the major things in making your life better here. Qatar has a problem with schools but lots of work so it is basically a trade off. Believe you me Qatar is nothing like Singapore and never will be.

Everything is relative to you though and what you want or what you can get , it's the cash v lifestyle trade off but coming from the Far East you will have a culture shock thats for sure but Dubai would be a good bet .
Old Aug 17th 2014, 8:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of options and things to do there is more in Dubai and housing is still a little cheaper than AD. Note that Dubai and Abu Dhabi are in the same country, just different emirates in the UAE.

There are more schools in Dubai, but quality of life will depend on your salary package, your attitude and what you make of it. The ME is certainly different from Malaysia or SNG, so it would be best to do a recce is you can before making a big decision.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 8:56 am
Just Joined

baylissboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Ive worked in them all and im currently in Qatar and my advice would be Dubai everyday of the week , it's the best place in the Middle East by miles for me.

More choice in every single aspect of your life in The Gulf and that's one of the major things in making your life better here. Qatar has a problem with schools but lots of work so it is basically a trade off. Believe you me Qatar is nothing like Singapore and never will be.

Everything is relative to you though and what you want or what you can get , it's the cash v lifestyle trade off but coming from the Far East you will have a culture shock thats for sure but Dubai would be a good bet .
Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.