Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Visa Question

Dubai Visa Question

Old Dec 22nd 2012, 8:38 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold
Default Dubai Visa Question

My kids have Saudi resident visas in their Croatian passports. We intend to go to Dubai and on entry I will use my kids Irish passports because these don't need visas. These are reasonably new and have no stamps. If queried, I will explain the dual citizenship. Any issues?
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Visa Question

Holding two passports is generally disapproved of in Saudi and the Gulf States. Take both passports with you and be prepared for fun and games.

It might be easier just to get Emirati visas before you go for the Croatian passports.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:00 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scot47
Holding two passports is generally disapproved of in Saudi and the Gulf States. Take both passports with you and be prepared for fun and games.

It might be easier just to get Emirati visas before you go for the Croatian passports.
It's 700Dhs I'd rather not pay plus the hotel is taking 7000Dhs per visa security deposit. It's a lot of dosh.

Is it illegal or what is the issue?
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Saudi "Jawazat" does not like you having two passports.

Last edited by scot47; Dec 22nd 2012 at 9:28 pm. Reason: typo - again
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:12 pm
Banned

Saudi "Jazawat" does not like you having two passports.
What will Jawazat have to do with entering UAE on a different passport? Kids will leave KSA on Croatian passports with regular visas and return to KSA on Croatian passport. Then when we land in UAE I will put their Croatian passports in the pocket and produce their Irish passports. The rule of the game is to enter and leave the country on the same passport. I've done it several times including in the ME.

Besides, they have a nationality change procedure for Iqama I just have no time for this now.

Last edited by Desert Dubliner; Dec 22nd 2012 at 9:23 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It might work but the UAE guys might ask why you have no exit stamp from KSA and vice versa the Immigration Officer on arrival in KSA (ie the man from the "Jawazat") might ask the same about leaving UAE.

If you feel the hassle is worth 700 SR ............

You asked about "issues". I said - "Possibly" and now you take umbrage ?

If you get a Saudi or Emirati immigration officer who is having a bad day he could hold you up or make problems.

I wish you luck. I lived with my dual national daughters in KSA for 6 years and also had passport-juggling problems (British and Bulgarian).

Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by scot47; Dec 22nd 2012 at 9:33 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:41 pm
Banned

No umbrage, mate. Just teasing out the detail.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 5:12 pm
Banned

So we did it and it worked but only just. I checked in online to minimise hassle at the airport. However when checking bags in the guy wanted to see all passports. I presented the ones with KSA visas only and when queried about kids visas I did not come up with the Irish passports. Instead I convinced the guy kids didn't need visas. Amazingly it worked. In Dubai I presented kids Irish passports and no questions asked we were let in. To conclude the only hassle is with airline check and this can go either way. In any case this is exceptional for me and I will not repeat this exercise.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I suppose when (if) Croatia is admitted to the EU, travel on Croatian passports will be easier.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 6:22 pm
Banned

I suppose when (if) Croatia is admitted to the EU, travel on Croatian passports will be easier.
Don't know and don't care to be honest. We all have Irish citizenship and my only issue is that kids have KSA visas in Croatian passports. Gonna change that and ditch Croatian passports.

From your experience, have ME countries changes the stance on Bulgarian passport when Bulgaria joined? Don't think so but could be wrong.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 6:32 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Don't know and don't care to be honest. We all have Irish citizenship and my only issue is that kids have KSA visas in Croatian passports. Gonna change that and ditch Croatian passports.

From your experience, have ME countries changes the stance on Bulgarian passport when Bulgaria joined? Don't think so but could be wrong.
Seriously, your kids (and thus presumably spouse or ex) have Croatian passports and you don't know or care about Croatia's EU accession (which was decided over a year ago btw) even though it has enormous impact on every aspect of their lives and legal relationship to you, regardless of the fact that they already have EU passports? I guess you have revealed yourself to be a remarkably facile thinker with most of your other posts so perhaps no surprise there....
Old Jan 1st 2013, 6:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Seriously, your kids (and thus presumably spouse or ex) have Croatian passports and you don't know or care about Croatia's EU accession (which was decided over a year ago btw) even though it has enormous impact on every aspect of their lives and legal relationship to you, regardless of the fact that they already have EU passports? I guess you have revealed yourself to be a remarkably facile thinker with most of your other posts so perhaps no surprise there....
No, the question was about travel and visas and I don't know and don't care whether the travel will or won't become easier with a Croatian passport. This was not about the wider implications of accession of Croatia and it should be easy enough to figure that out simply by following the thread and avoiding getting one's knickers in the twist over trivia.

Last edited by Desert Dubliner; Jan 1st 2013 at 6:48 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:19 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I came to KSA recently and my kids have got dual Thai - UK citizenship . My experience ( limited ) so far has been that the Saudi immigration don't seem to care too much about where you have come from etc , they only want to see the correct visa in the passport . Like someone said though airline check-in can be the problem . Leaving Bangkok recently it took a while but no major problems . If it's not illegal to have dual nationality the only thing that can happen is that it holds you up a bit , so allow extra time at the airport.