Dubai v Kuwait

Old May 4th 2012, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

paulgw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai v Kuwait

Hi all,

I have been offered two positions in the Middle East; one based in Kuwait, the other in Dubai. All of the research I have done so far suggests that whilst the cost of living in Kuwait is lower than Dubai, it is more conservative and not as 'fun' a place to live as Dubai.

I really would appreciate some feedback from those already living in either country.

Kind regards

Paul
Old May 4th 2012, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai v Kuwait

Hi Paul,

hmm - I can't wait to see some of these responces.

I wonder how much research you have done if you don't already know the answer to this one?

I believe Kuwait is known for its moonshine and smuggling of alcohol and pork, dubai is known for its brunches and hookers- its a pretty good indicator I would say.

It's living costs are lower for a reason!
Old May 4th 2012, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

If you need to ask...
Old May 4th 2012, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paulgw
...All of the research I have done so far suggests that whilst the cost of living in Kuwait is lower than Dubai, it is more conservative and not as 'fun' a place to live as Dubai...
You are correct, Kuwait is not as fun a place as Dubai.
Old May 4th 2012, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies so far guys, obviously my original post is not very clear.

I am not inetersed in the alcohol, hookers or bacon sandwiches (all of which are well covered in the research I have done). I am interested in what it is actually like to live in Kuwait / Dubai - politically / culturally etc.
Old May 4th 2012, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies so far guys, obviously my original post is not very clear.

I am not inetersed in the alcohol, hookers or bacon sandwiches (all of which are well covered in the research I have done). I am interested in what it is actually like to live in Kuwait / Dubai - politically / culturally etc.
Kuwait is a much more conservative country, and politically, well, reasonably stable, but prone to the odd upset from those upset by the American presence. Culturally speaking, Kuwait has nothing at all to offer, as anything interesting the Kuwaitis have demolished on the grounds of 'progress'.
Living in Kuwait is to move from one bubble to another, with very little integration with Kuwaitis, who view themselves above such irritations. Your most likely way of meeting a Kuwaiti is when he has rammed your car at 160 kp/h. As far as fine dining goes, if you like burgers, you'll be fine, anything else, and you need a 'plane ticket to the Emirates. The weather isn't as humid as Dubai, but is just as hot, and prone to sandstorms.
Old May 4th 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Some time since I was in Kuwait -Leaving aside the life style, drink, restaurants I think culturally kuwait has only one Marks and Spencer whereas you can find 3 or 4 in Dubai. And the parking spaces at Ikea in Kuwait are smaller than in Dubai.

They are both shopping centres surrounded by sea and sand.
Old May 5th 2012, 7:15 am
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

Kuwait is dusty , prone to suffocating sand storms and while good for saving your hard earned - that's because there's nothing much to actually do here!

Dubai is far more vibrant, much less dusty and if you're in Kuwait (as we are) the destination of choice for regular 'sanity breaks'.
Old May 5th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

It is very difficult to fly direct to many places from Kuwait so bear that in mind if you need to get home often and don't live in London! Kuwait IS an expensive place to live and I don't think it's cheaper than the Emirates except maybe for accommodation. Petrol works out at about 15p a litre..... Will you be coming out with your family?
Old May 5th 2012, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Some time since I was in Kuwait -Leaving aside the life style, drink, restaurants I think culturally kuwait has only one Marks and Spencer whereas you can find 3 or 4 in Dubai. And the parking spaces at Ikea in Kuwait are smaller than in Dubai.

They are both shopping centres surrounded by sea and sand.
Agree with the above! But just to update you - there are now two Marks and Spencer stores in Kuwait and both are excellent - much better than the my local one in UK! Personally I prefer shopping in Kuwait - less crowded and no tourists (yet!)
Old May 5th 2012, 10:52 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

M&S!!

reading this post with interest as about to take a job in Doha - leaving Auckland to do so... ikea and M&S are a distant memory here and you guys are discussing parking spaces and how many of the stores exist !!!

Loving it!... you consumer eating brand lovers... how many starbucks did you visit last week?!?!?!
Old May 5th 2012, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

I remember the first M&S opening in Dubai in 1998 - heaven sent back in those days. Now they are everywhere! Plenty of Costas and starbucks too - they are substitute pubs in Kuwait!
Old May 5th 2012, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

If your idea is to save money then Kuwait is your best option. In Dubai there is a lot of things to spend money on when out and generally is an expensive (Housing and Food) place.
Old May 5th 2012, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the responses, your feedback is appreciated.

I will be moving out on my own but the intention is to fly back to the UK once a quarter.

Glad to know that Starbucks is the hub of social activity as both jobs are with them!
Old May 5th 2012, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the responses, your feedback is appreciated.

I will be moving out on my own but the intention is to fly back to the UK once a quarter.

Glad to know that Starbucks is the hub of social activity as both jobs are with them!
Oh, bloody hell....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.