Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

DUBAI the undefined future !

DUBAI the undefined future !

Old Sep 16th 2010, 5:19 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DUBAI the undefined future !

Originally Posted by MacScot
When reports are written for Arab countries it is the Arabian Gulf.
When reports are written for Iran it is the Persian Gulf.

similarly,

When reports are written for the UK it is the English Channel.
When reports are written for France it is La Manche.

depends on who or where you are, I suppose…
Similarly when Andy Murray is doing well he is British but when he is crap he is Scottish
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NaimTakieddin
Well, most of the professional workers within the financial markets did not expect the unprecedented amazing growth in Dubai till 2008 would encounter certain severe impacts in the aftermath of the world financial crisis nor the economical experts out there shed the light on the weight of the prospective economical deterioration in Dubai which affected almost every life`s aspect!

There had been such a brilliant plans at the past which ensured prosperous sustainable future for this little emirate! but it failed to reach the on-going dilemma!

1- concurrent constant lowering salaries
2- lay-off for many executives
3- higher households expenses
4- re-shaping institution hierarchies

Now, since a lot of you if not the majority live there Id like to ask you ;

Are you optimistic regarding the future of DUBAI ?? Do you consider moving elsewhere within the coming short scope is quuite reasonable?

Cheers
Dubai has great hard infrastructure: airports, airlines, hotels, shipping ports, public transit, hospitals, residential and commercial housing stock, financial, technology and media clusters, entertainment (malls, country clubs, etc). Soft infrastructure needs work.

It's the most livable city in the middle east. Safe, comfortable, and now affordable. Within a 2 hour flight of Dubai there are more than a billion people for whom Dubai represents a great living opportunity. I've been to most countries in the region and none of them are as comfortable and safe as where we are. I find KSA, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar to be extremely boring and oppressive.

As things improve in the rest of the world, they'll improve in Dubai. Not overnight by any means, but eventually.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I've noticed an uptick in job offers over the last few months. Not sure if I've noticed any other positive signs? Nobody believes Dubai will return to the boom times, but it seems to be evolving into a normal and livable city.

For career reasons, I'm always considering other destinations. But as I do, I realize that we have a good thing here and I guess we'll stick around till we're lured onwards?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
For career reasons, I'm always considering other destinations. But as I do, I realize that we have a good thing here and I guess we'll stick around till we're lured onwards?
You and me both. Life here is pretty easy once you have settled in but I know it's the wrong thing to do!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
You and me both. Life here is pretty easy once you have settled in but I know it's the wrong thing to do!
I'm in the same boat. However, the only issue over being here for a number of years is that one simply 'loses' those years from the career - if I go back to the City now, my Dubai experience would be heavily discounted, if considered relevant at all.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shehryar
I'm in the same boat. However, the only issue over being here for a number of years is that one simply 'loses' those years from the career - if I go back to the City now, my Dubai experience would be heavily discounted, if considered relevant at all.
correct. especially now the place is hardly booming too.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Are you optimistic regarding the future of DUBAI ?? Do you consider moving elsewhere within the coming short scope is quuite reasonable?

Cheers
I can give you a very simple comparison to have an idea about what will happen here:

If you look at a compound with western management and a compound with f.x. indian management you will see after just a few years a big difference:
while the compound under western management is well maintained and constantly improved, the compound under the said indian management is run down, no improvements, any maintenance or servicing is just done in patches with big band-aids instead of proper repair.

Now the ME countries started to replace expansive western employees. There is a kind of brain-drain going on. So just wait and see, what will happen in the next couple of years.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

NaimTakieddin will become famous soon enoughNaimTakieddin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Dubai has great hard infrastructure: airports, airlines, hotels, shipping ports, public transit, hospitals, residential and commercial housing stock, financial, technology and media clusters, entertainment (malls, country clubs, etc). Soft infrastructure needs work.

It's the most livable city in the middle east. Safe, comfortable, and now affordable. Within a 2 hour flight of Dubai there are more than a billion people for whom Dubai represents a great living opportunity. I've been to most countries in the region and none of them are as comfortable and safe as where we are. I find KSA, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar to be extremely boring and oppressive.

As things improve in the rest of the world, they'll improve in Dubai. Not overnight by any means, but eventually.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I've noticed an uptick in job offers over the last few months. Not sure if I've noticed any other positive signs? Nobody believes Dubai will return to the boom times, but it seems to be evolving into a normal and livable city.

Ok, cool, But we can`t deny that the main incentive of every foreigner to come Dubai is the remuneration factor; I mean everyone knows this. if economic recovery picked up again then there will not be any distinctive packages for foreigners as what was going on before the omnious year 2007.
But hey I like the fact you are impressed by the infrastructure of Dubai as this feature of Dubai makes a lot of people adhered to Dubai.

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

NaimTakieddin will become famous soon enoughNaimTakieddin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shehryar

Hey, are you sure about this point, you meant if you or I spent 4 or 5 years working like a RoBoat in where we are in this area of the world then our experiences would be disregarded or despised or diminished!!!!!!

Do not let me book my flight ticket within 2 hours from now buddy!

Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
hahahaaaa, you got it perfectly here as one of life defenition in KSA is ; live easy everything is attainable and accessible. i ll Tell ya something funny;; me being deprived from a decent vehicle in where i ve been along with watching my pocket cautiously but now I can articulate that I got spoiled 100% probably because in KSA there is no social life especially for a white single half european person like me ; so alternatively the tiny elements of civilized living as like the decent car and accommodation became the most precious and valuable things which oblige you to stick you here...

seriously I am starving to live among an open society NO KIDDING
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dilmun
I can give you a very simple comparison to have an idea about what will happen here:

If you look at a compound with western management and a compound with f.x. indian management you will see after just a few years a big difference:
while the compound under western management is well maintained and constantly improved, the compound under the said indian management is run down, no improvements, any maintenance or servicing is just done in patches with big band-aids instead of proper repair.

Now the ME countries started to replace expansive western employees. There is a kind of brain-drain going on. So just wait and see, what will happen in the next couple of years.

Yup I noticed this inclination taking place in where I am working, there is a joke spred widely here;

An american worker went to work in KSA and he got a dispute with the HR regarding the salary then he started bragging he is american and he can go wherever he wants....A manager approached him saying ; your flexible mobility without barriers should not abide you to come here but rather to go america freely ..
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Hmph.

Cost of housing has declined dramatically so it's practically a bargain these days - when compared to 2008. Otherwise housing is still quite expensive.

All other cost of living indicators have gone up.

Salaries are largely flat and many have had benefits cut.

There seems to be a shift away from hiring western expats to hiring other Arab nationals (particularly Mediterranean Arabs/Turks) and South Asians who are willing to accept smaller packages.

The new Khalifa port will steal quite a bit of Dubai's thunder.

As long as DXB is a very transient city with expats coming and going all the time, and with most people only here for a few years to make some $ before moving on, Dubai will always have a limited potential.

My prognosis: Dubai will muddle along but it'll never reach the same heights of glory it did between 2002 and 2008. Power and economic influence is steadily draining towards Abu Dhabi and AD is the city of the future in the Arabian Gulf, not Dubai.
total concur
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the "remuneration factor" ––
I've been getting moderate interest from recruiters lately (3-4 JDs per week). The packages offered are attractive even by 2007 standards. You can still make money here, and with the cheaper rents you can save more of it. I'm not saying I know what happens next, but at the moment it's okay.

Regarding the infrastructure ––
The Dubai metro makes the city quite livable. No other city in the region can compare. Hell, there are a lot of American cities that can't compare to Dubai in this respect. The airports and flight availability compares favorably to other major centres. This stuff matters.

I really don't mind living here. Even less so when I compare it to other options in the far east or USA. I don't even consider EU or UK as remote possibilities.

Ok, cool, But we can`t deny that the main incentive of every foreigner to come Dubai is the remuneration factor; I mean everyone knows this. if economic recovery picked up again then there will not be any distinctive packages for foreigners as what was going on before the omnious year 2007.
But hey I like the fact you are impressed by the infrastructure of Dubai as this feature of Dubai makes a lot of people adhered to Dubai.

Cheers
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

expo09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking back now it is pretty obvious that the way Dubai was going there was always going to be problems. A lot of the projects going on were just dreams that were unsustainable. So many massive projects had been planned and they were not all going to work out. Some have and some haven't.

I do think, though, that Dubai still has a string future, but things will have to be considered a bit more carefully and any potential problems thought about.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

after nearly 8 happy years I'm becoming weary.... there's no reason why things can't work properly and people be reasonable and a lack of tax only hides that for so long

still love the sunshine mind
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

I just received some bad news about new wave of lay- off s there in Dubai after yesterday `s declerations of an extended scope shrinking of the on-going investments.

any comments from the dudes there!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.