British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   dubai transport... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-transport-510809/)

Eeyore Feb 1st 2008 11:35 am

Re: dubai transport...

Originally Posted by scarletfan (Post 5868010)
We had a nightmare last night. We had booked at Madinat at the seafood restaurant... Then we made the stupid mistake of driving down there. How stupid were we. No chance of parking anywhere nearby

Did you try the Al Qasr trick?

If the Madinat parking is jammed, just use the valet parking next door in Al Qasr (you might have to pretend to the guy on the gate that you're going in to use Al Qasr's facilites - just say you're going to Al Fayrooz or Koubba or something like that) and then take one of the guest abras over to the Madinat.

Just don't tell everyone about this :thumbup:

MataHari Feb 1st 2008 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by angelynv (Post 5868571)
thanks Inse, Ill search the forum re leasing cars.. i think my husband will be doing the driving though!

why would that be...by not driving yourself you are limiting your freedom...never a good thing

angelynv Feb 1st 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5869280)
why would that be...by not driving yourself you are limiting your freedom...never a good thing

i totally understand MH - girl power and all that! i think mostly coz of what you have all told me about drivin in Dubai im scared sh*tless to do it! ha ha! plus Dubai-ans drive on the wrong side of the road..

MataHari Feb 1st 2008 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by angelynv (Post 5869305)
i totally understand MH - girl power and all that! i think mostly coz of what you have all told me about drivin in Dubai im scared sh*tless to do it! ha ha! plus Dubai-ans drive on the wrong side of the road..

No need to be scared...just start driving as soon as you come here....the longer you wait, the less you will dare..and you will regret it...and it's not as if you are safer in a taxi....
I mean it.

angelynv Feb 1st 2008 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5869315)
No need to be scared...just start driving as soon as you come here....the longer you wait, the less you will dare..and you will regret it...and it's not as if you are safer in a taxi....
I mean it.

yes ma'am! *click heels and salutes*

Inselaffen Feb 1st 2008 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by angelynv (Post 5869305)

its not all that difficult. just drive defensively and don't assume that other drivers actually know how to drive.

MataHari Feb 1st 2008 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5869324)
its not all that difficult. just drive defensively and don't assume that other drivers actually know how to drive.

it's easier I find...cause you can get away with everything and more...

Madam Medusa Feb 1st 2008 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 5869148)
Did you try the Al Qasr trick?

If the Madinat parking is jammed, just use the valet parking next door in Al Qasr (you might have to pretend to the guy on the gate that you're going in to use Al Qasr's facilites - just say you're going to Al Fayrooz or Koubba or something like that) and then take one of the guest abras over to the Madinat.

Just don't tell everyone about this :thumbup:

or use Mina Al Salaam, same thing, and you can walk to the madinat...

MM, xx