Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

dubai transport...

dubai transport...

Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default dubai transport...

...is completely and utterly doing my head in...

Every time i have booked a cab for the last 2/3 months (probably longer in fact), there is a problem...and when you phone to complain, they don't give a shit...

They have told me that it doesn't matter when you make the booking, they only put a call out to drivers 20 mins before the time...so it's tough if there are no taxis available in the area. When asked why they accept a booking, they said that it means "at least you are in the system"...wtf is that all about...

there does seem to be a distinct shortage of cabs now, is that the case all over dubai??

i've got details for a chauffeur service, which i use if i'm going somewhere really important, but he is expensive...does anyone have any details of a reliable cab driver?

and is there anywhere to complain to/is it even worth complaining?? i guess the answer is no though, lol...

MM, xx
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dubai transport...

No point! You can only rely on them for their unreliablility!

I use a driver+vehicle (mostly 4wd, but on occasion a 16 seater Toyota Hiace) for school pick up... He charges about 50 per trip. He is okay, but definitely more reliable than DTC.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:42 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

Every time i have booked a cab for the last 2/3 months (probably longer in fact), there is a problem...and when you phone to complain, they don't give a shit...

They have told me that it doesn't matter when you make the booking, they only put a call out to drivers 20 mins before the time...so it's tough if there are no taxis available in the area. When asked why they accept a booking, they said that it means "at least you are in the system"...wtf is that all about...

there does seem to be a distinct shortage of cabs now, is that the case all over dubai??

i've got details for a chauffeur service, which i use if i'm going somewhere really important, but he is expensive...does anyone have any details of a reliable cab driver?

and is there anywhere to complain to/is it even worth complaining?? i guess the answer is no though, lol...

MM, xx
It's really shocking... try hailing a cab in Oud Metha any day between 5pm and 9pm... no chance for less than 1 hour wait... and calling is a half hour retrying the phone as its engaged then you get through to be told no cabs avail so you shout a bit and then they find one and you thank them and wait and wait and wait and wait then call back 500 times as its engaged and then you get through and they say no cabs answered the call so tough shit so you threaten to slice them up while they sleep and eat there eyes and things and they say not my fault no cabs, what to do- i'll tell you what to do SORT IT THE F^CK OUT!

It one of the worst things in a city with no real public transport that the cab system is so terrible...
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
No point! You can only rely on them for their unreliablility!

I use a driver+vehicle (mostly 4wd, but on occasion a 16 seater Toyota Hiace) for school pick up... He charges about 50 per trip. He is okay, but definitely more reliable than DTC.
oh IG, 50 per trip sounds pretty good...is it a one man band or a company of drivers?? wouldn't mind getting the details...

MM, xx
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Autonomy
It one of the worst things in a city with no real public transport that the cab system is so terrible...
i know...and it's having no alternatives that drives me up the wall...

MM, xx
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

oh IG, 50 per trip sounds pretty good...is it a one man band or a company of drivers?? wouldn't mind getting the details...

MM, xx
No idea - but this chap runs a transport company and has about 7-8 vehicles and a couple of drivers. Not sure whether he does one-off trips, but worth checking. Will pm his details to you........
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
No idea - but this chap runs a transport company and has about 7-8 vehicles and a couple of drivers. Not sure whether he does one-off trips, but worth checking. Will pm his details to you........
fabulous, thanks...

MM, xx
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:27 am
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a nightmare last night. We had booked at Madinat at the seafood restaurant, then started phoning for a cab at 7:15 but the phone was constantly engaged. Then we made the stupid mistake of driving down there. How stupid were we. No chance of parking anywhere nearby, then I had the brainwave of going to Bur Dubai instead. Fantastic move! Ended up stuck in traffic on SZR for an eternity. Finally, at about 9:45 we gave up and ended up in the Italian restaurant in Trade Centre Apartments.
Moral of the story, firstly, leave the car at home on Thursday night, secondly, get hold of a mobile number for a taxi firm, so please help!!!!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:48 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

MM, xx
There's a shortage elsewhere in Dubai, cos they are all hanging out in the Marina or outside the Kempinski.....there must have been 80 of them queued up outside there the other night about 10pm !!!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:48 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BangleMan
There's a shortage elsewhere in Dubai, cos they are all hanging out in the Marina or outside the Kempinski.....there must have been 80 of them queued up outside there the other night about 10pm !!!
it is a nightmare here in Al Barsha too, the best thing is to take the car to the MOE and get one from there
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:57 am
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Blue Cat;5868161]it is a nightmare here in Al Barsha too, the best thing is to take the car to the MOE and get one from there [/QUOTE

Hey BC. How are you?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BangleMan
ok im slightly worried, what about in the mornings day to day, basically when I come over it will take me a while to sort out licence and car etc so ill have to rely on whatever to get to work in the mornings. I will probably live around the marina area or jbr and my work place is Emaar business park on SZ road - can i block book taxis? is there a bus?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:18 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of my wife rang for a cab from JPS, was told 2 hour wait. When she asked why, was told 'madam, we have 3500 taxis and 5000 people calling us for them'.

When you think about it, 3500 taxis is not a lot for a place like Dubai where people have to rely on taxis due to no other viable public transport and the fact that if you drive on an evening, parking is a nightmare.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelynv
ok im slightly worried, what about in the mornings day to day, basically when I come over it will take me a while to sort out licence and car etc so ill have to rely on whatever to get to work in the mornings. I will probably live around the marina area or jbr and my work place is Emaar business park on SZ road - can i block book taxis? is there a bus?
would recommend that you lease a small car for the few weeks you need transport before you get your licence.

I used taxis for 6 weeks and sometimes had to wait up to an hour in the street before being able to catch one.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
would recommend that you lease a small car for the few weeks you need transport before you get your licence.

I used taxis for 6 weeks and sometimes had to wait up to an hour in the street before being able to catch one.
thanks Inse, Ill search the forum re leasing cars.. i think my husband will be doing the driving though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.