Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai is terrible because.....

Dubai is terrible because.....

Old May 19th 2005, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai is terrible because.....

Dubai is terrible because:

(1) Total apathy by the Labour Dept (worse still the respective country's consulate staff do absolutely nothing to help) towards the plight of the poor workers (labourers who work 12 hours a day and don't get paid ...living under inhuman conditions)- every day I read about their plight in the newspapers and it makes me depressed. I have witnessed first hand how an employer is given better treatment in case of a dispute.

(2) Traffic is a nightmare. It's rush hour traffic all the time!

(3) Weather - It's too hot to take my kids out - I shudder to think of how I'm going to keep them entertained come summer vacation. :scared:

(4) I have a serious problem with the schools here - although I am told there are some good schools (unfortunately not being UK citizens does not entitle them admission to these schools). We shall be moving out of the UAE as soon as my elder kid is in grade 7-8. Any recommendations on good schools gratefully accepted now.

More later. I have to think of the good things, before I am labelled a Troll!!

Cheers
Anya
Old May 19th 2005, 2:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
(4) I have a serious problem with the schools here - although I am told there are some good schools (unfortunately not being UK citizens does not entitle them admission to these schools). We shall be moving out of the UAE as soon as my elder kid is in grade 7-8. Any recommendations on good schools gratefully accepted now.
There are US schools as well...
Old May 19th 2005, 3:06 pm
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of

I think it's goodmorning to you right? Hi there Bob.
Old May 19th 2005, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

Dubai is terrible because:

(1) Total apathy by the Labour Dept (worse still the respective country's consulate staff do absolutely nothing to help) towards the plight of the poor workers (labourers who work 12 hours a day and don't get paid ...living under inhuman conditions)- every day I read about their plight in the newspapers and it makes me depressed. I have witnessed first hand how an employer is given better treatment in case of a dispute.

(2) Traffic is a nightmare. It's rush hour traffic all the time!

(3) Weather - It's too hot to take my kids out - I shudder to think of how I'm going to keep them entertained come summer vacation. :scared:

More later. I have to think of the good things, before I am labelled a Troll!!

Cheers
Anya
Don't need to be UK citizens to get into most of the English curriculum schools here Anya. There are 1 or 2 notable exceptions where they like to create an artificial bubble not representative of the rest of the city, but you get that sort of folk everywhere!

The school my son goes to (Jumeirah Primary School) has kids from over 40 different countries. Last year he had no other Brits in his class - this year he has 1. He loves it there so if he's happy, so am I.
Old May 19th 2005, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by LakesLassie
Don't need to be UK citizens to get into most of the English curriculum schools here Anya. There are 1 or 2 notable exceptions where they like to create an artificial bubble not representative of the rest of the city, but you get that sort of folk everywhere!

The school my son goes to (Jumeirah Primary School) has kids from over 40 different countries. Last year he had no other Brits in his class - this year he has 1. He loves it there so if he's happy, so am I.
Some schools are licenced to admit only UK passport holders and has nothing to do with the management prefering it that way. It is UAE law when a new school opens that wishes to offer an English Curriculum without segregation of boys and girls that they adhere to accepting only UK passport holders but the law has been by-passed by many schools. Some schools are not taking chances and stick to the law.

If you need any help with schools, just post on www.expatwoman.com.
Old May 19th 2005, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Just read the posts on here. Just out of curiousity how many of you have friends who are arabs and go to their homes, etc, or do you tend to just hang out with Brit expats?

Last edited by Mercedes; May 19th 2005 at 7:34 pm.
Old May 19th 2005, 7:33 pm
W10

I know lots of Arabs, and a couple of nationals.

I've been out with the arabs a lot, but locals don't tend to mix with us so much on a social basis (and I guess vice versa) which is a shame.

Old May 19th 2005, 7:37 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

I hang out with all sorts and work for Saudis.

Unless u have, its hard to explain the rigors of work out here.

trin
Old May 19th 2005, 7:45 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Just read the posts on here. Just out of curiousity how many of you have friends who are arabs and go to their homes, etc, or do you tend to just hang out with Brit expats?
I only met arabs as other parents in my son's school, they don't mix alot.
Old May 20th 2005, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
Some schools are licenced to admit only UK passport holders and has nothing to do with the management prefering it that way. It is UAE law when a new school opens that wishes to offer an English Curriculum without segregation of boys and girls that they adhere to accepting only UK passport holders but the law has been by-passed by many schools. Some schools are not taking chances and stick to the law.

If you need any help with schools, just post on www.expatwoman.com.
Sorry PT but I don't think that's strictly true. 1 school in particular has been here at least as long as many others and is well known for its Brits only policy. If it was the case as you describe, how come the old school that's been there for years is still Brits only but their new school opening later this year is not? Doesn't add up I'm afraid.
Old May 20th 2005, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry PT but I don't think that's strictly true. 1 school in particular has been here at least as long as many others and is well known for its Brits only policy. If it was the case as you describe, how come the old school that's been there for years is still Brits only but their new school opening later this year is not? Doesn't add up I'm afraid.

Thanks LL and PT for you responses! I shall check out JPS (but it sounds like it only has a primary school section - until what grade is that? My kid will be going into Grade 6 this year) - she already goes to a British curriculum school.

I tried to send some K, it says I have to spread it around, what does that mean

Cheers
Anya
Old May 20th 2005, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

It might not add up, just like many things in the Middle East. Don't you just love the lack of laws? LOL. Jokes aside, it is obvious which school you are referring to but as I explained it has to do with their licence and particularly because they have been around for so long in those days there weren't many option on licences. British, American, Indian, Local, Arab. It is extremely awkward and time consuming to change existing licences which has an implication on transfer certificates and schools prefer not to bother and obtaining such a British licence is also much easier than arguing its ways through the Ministry to obtain any other licences. Only some schools realize that filling up places with such a licence isn't so easy and resolve to filling up with other passport holders too. They obviously TRY to stick to English speaking nationalities so as not to make it too obvious and all the others who seem foreign looking just like in our case are obviously either UK/Canadian/US/Australian/NZ/South African, just to name a few, passport holders and make the school look truely international. As the owners of JPS for example are Indian, they might well have a different licence.

I have had a fair bit of insight into the education system here as I am usually very interested in that direction.
Old May 20th 2005, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks LL and PT for you responses! I shall check out JPS (but it sounds like it only has a primary school section - until what grade is that? My kid will be going into Grade 6 this year) - she already goes to a British curriculum school.

I tried to send some K, it says I have to spread it around, what does that mean

Cheers
Anya

Hi Anya

I should leave answering about JPS to LL but as I have friends at JPS and will be sending my own children to a GEMS school, I can hopefully help out too and if not, I am sure LL will help me out.

JPS is from FS1 (3years) to Year 4 and then they move on to JC (Jumeirah College) from Year 5. I have no idea what spaces are like for JC but believe there is a waiting list. JPS is practically impossible to get into but doesn't mean people can't try.

Personally, I would place my children at JPS (wasn't that keen 2 years ago, I must admit but things can change). I have now opted for what I hope will be a good alternative which is Wellington International School and will be almost identical on its academic side to JPS with newer facilities as it is only under construction. I was very fortunate to have a personal meeting with the principal apart from the official once and I am 100% confident about the whole set up. The only thing to bear in mind, we are living in a fast world and none of us has guarantees as to what can happen in future and must allow for pitfalls along the way. I chose a school for my children which I believe is excellent but sadly received unfounded and unexpected bad publicity and obviously affects them one way or another. The current school has been excellent so far and might proof to be for many but for personal reasons and preferences, I feel my children are ready to be part of a larger school with more opportunities to be part of the modern world and Wellington seems to fit the bill for me exactly. For now that is and I will always keep an open mind at other opportunities that might come along the way.

Check out the following websites and read all the info on there carefully. I find that people just open the front webpage and can't be bothered to go through them step by step, hence missing out on a lot of detailed information.

www.wellingtoninternationalschool.com
www.gemseducation.com

By the way, there are a few on this site who are sending their children there in September.

Good luck with your research.
Old May 20th 2005, 5:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
Check out the following websites and read all the info on there carefully. I find that people just open the front webpage and can't be bothered to go through them step by step, hence missing out on a lot of detailed information.

www.wellingtoninternationalschool.com
www.gemseducation.com

just added that to the faq's, I'm sure there's more here that I could add as bulleted points but I'm to tired to make sense of it right now, but if there's anything that would be really helpful, then point it out, or pm it and I'll add it tomorrow
Old May 20th 2005, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
just added that to the faq's, I'm sure there's more here that I could add as bulleted points but I'm to tired to make sense of it right now, but if there's anything that would be really helpful, then point it out, or pm it and I'll add it tomorrow
I have just made a contribution. I am so proud.

Are you allowed to add the following link? It has a good summary of schools.

http://expatwoman.com/profiles.php?ID=46

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.