Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai is terrible because.....

Dubai is terrible because.....

Old May 20th 2005, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dubai is terrible because.....

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
Hi Anya

I should leave answering about JPS to LL but as I have friends at JPS and will be sending my own children to a GEMS school, I can hopefully help out too and if not, I am sure LL will help me out.

JPS is from FS1 (3years) to Year 4 and then they move on to JC (Jumeirah College) from Year 5. I have no idea what spaces are like for JC but believe there is a waiting list. JPS is practically impossible to get into but doesn't mean people can't try.

Personally, I would place my children at JPS (wasn't that keen 2 years ago, I must admit but things can change). I have now opted for what I hope will be a good alternative which is Wellington International School and will be almost identical on its academic side to JPS with newer facilities as it is only under construction. I was very fortunate to have a personal meeting with the principal apart from the official once and I am 100% confident about the whole set up. The only thing to bear in mind, we are living in a fast world and none of us has guarantees as to what can happen in future and must allow for pitfalls along the way. I chose a school for my children which I believe is excellent but sadly received unfounded and unexpected bad publicity and obviously affects them one way or another. The current school has been excellent so far and might proof to be for many but for personal reasons and preferences, I feel my children are ready to be part of a larger school with more opportunities to be part of the modern world and Wellington seems to fit the bill for me exactly. For now that is and I will always keep an open mind at other opportunities that might come along the way.

Check out the following websites and read all the info on there carefully. I find that people just open the front webpage and can't be bothered to go through them step by step, hence missing out on a lot of detailed information.

www.wellingtoninternationalschool.com
www.gemseducation.com

By the way, there are a few on this site who are sending their children there in September.

Good luck with your research.
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on the point of the Brit passport only school!

One thing I would completely disagree about though is when you say JPS is difficult to get into - I would say from personal experience and speaking to others it's not that bad and much easier than some others. With all the new ones opening though I suspect that the pressure for places will be eased at least for a year or so.
Old May 20th 2005, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by LakesLassie
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on the point of the Brit passport only school!

One thing I would completely disagree about though is when you say JPS is difficult to get into - I would say from personal experience and speaking to others it's not that bad and much easier than some others. With all the new ones opening though I suspect that the pressure for places will be eased at least for a year or so.
No problem, we can agree to disagree. You do disagree about it being difficult to get into JPS? Can you let me know how to by pass the waiting list? I have friends who have been waiting for several month now and are being referred to other schools instead.

It might not be so hard to get into new schools now but existing once are still preferred by many as they can assess better what is to be expected. I suppose it is sometimes pot luck if you get through on a waitinglist or not. I know there are people who 'know someone, who knows someone' to get by-passed.

I also got a place offered two years ago when things seemed hopeless but only for one child and therefore declined as I needed to fit in two.
Old May 20th 2005, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
Hi Anya

Good luck with your research.

Thanks. I am extremely wary of the group you mentioned earlier on. I have had very bad personal experience dealing with them (at their hospital) - shall PM you if you want the details.
Their teachers are very poorly paid, some of the teachers are not even qualified to teach (I know because one of them lived in my building and her background was in advertising/media, and she taught there, and she said there were others like her!). And the school I refer to in this case is supposed to be their flagship/elite Indian curriculum school.

Regards
Anya
Old May 20th 2005, 8:57 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Its too bloody hot today!!
Old May 20th 2005, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Thanks. I am extremely wary of the group you mentioned earlier on. I have had very bad personal experience dealing with them (at their hospital) - shall PM you if you want the details.
Their teachers are very poorly paid, some of the teachers are not even qualified to teach (I know because one of them lived in my building and her background was in advertising/media, and she taught there, and she said there were others like her!). And the school I refer to in this case is supposed to be their flagship/elite Indian curriculum school.

Regards
Anya
Please bear in mind that the group is going through a major revamp and each and individual school needs to be assessed independently as they are ONLY part of the group and allowed to apply different curriculums and choose their teaching staff but I believe a more controlled approach by the group will be in place very soon as that is also the aim of the Ministry of Education. It isn't possible to compare any of the group's schools amongst each other due to their differences in curriculum's, school facilities, managments and fees which are highly reflecting what will be on offer in any given school and depends often on parents personal preferences and options. The group isn't a government controlled body that assures the same standards amongst them but someone who is fascilitating different curriculums to different income groups as there has been a big shortage of schools for several years and through experiences and changing laws the group will learn and progress hopefully to earn a better reputation. Their reputation has crumbled due to parents who had children at one school where they didn't get the kind of education they had expected and people put one school into the same boat as the others rather than keeping it to the relevant schools in question. There are many schools in Dubai who do not pay adequate salaries and often that is reflected in the schools fees. Anyone who wishes for their teachers to be paid more has to be prepared to pay for it.

Each school needs to be assessed individually and some research on managment, teaching staff and parents often reveals very quickly if it is the right (if at all possible) place for someone's child before applying for a place. Often people are faced with no choice where to put their children due to location or income restriction and thankgoodness for schools willing to cater for the lower income brakets.

How can healthcare or education be compared only because it is set up by the same group? My husband is involved in catering, IT and construction and if he was to fail in his services at one of his businesses, it wouldn't be fair to drag the others into it. After all, there are lots of people involved but very often due to individuals things go wrong, so how can one particular group be blamed for it and dragged into disrepute unless problems occur across the board over and over again? Bad news just travels a lot faster than good and ears often like to hear bad news and the mouth loves to spread it further, maybe with a little splashing on.

Feel free to PM me, I always keep an open mind and don't like to close my eyes and ears.
Old May 20th 2005, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

novocainekarma is just really nicenovocainekarma is just really nicenovocainekarma is just really nicenovocainekarma is just really nicenovocainekarma is just really nicenovocainekarma is just really nicenovocainekarma is just really nicenovocainekarma is just really nicenovocainekarma is just really nicenovocainekarma is just really nice

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
too bloody right..
<grizzle>
Old May 20th 2005, 1:39 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Is it........oh I never noticed.................hehe
Old May 20th 2005, 4:46 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

& all my plants keep dying
Old May 20th 2005, 5:31 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

& all my plants keep dying
keep it in the shade ...
Old May 20th 2005, 5:38 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by novita77
keep it in the shade ...
There is none!!!

Hello Nov, u alive?
Old May 20th 2005, 6:13 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

There is none!!!

Hello Nov, u alive?
why? misses me?
Old May 20th 2005, 6:22 pm
Premium Member

why? misses me?
counting the days Nov.....
Old May 20th 2005, 7:15 pm
semarang

counting the days Nov.....
I am That would be exciting.
Old May 20th 2005, 8:26 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

I am That would be exciting.

OOeerrr..........................lost
Old May 20th 2005, 8:54 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by Malteser
OOeerrr..........................lost
Counting the day for my hols malt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.