Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Tennis Championships

Dubai Tennis Championships

Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:00 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dubai Tennis Championships

Well since I wont be around to attend the mens or womens tennis tournaments I hope that some of u will......... there is a good line up for the event as usual!

"Henman accepts wild card for Dubai tennis championships
By A Correspondent

15 February 2005

DUBAI — Britain’s Tim Henman will bid to make amends for his shock first round exit from the 2004 Dubai Tennis Championships when he makes a welcome return to the premier men’s event in the Middle East next week.

The British No. 1 has accepted a wild card from tournament owners and organisers Dubai Duty Free and is eagerly looking forward to battling it out with the world’s best at the state-of-the-art Dubai Tennis Stadium.

Last year he was stunned 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 by unsung Czech Tomas Zib to continue what has been a surprisingly frustrating event for the French and US Open semi-finalist.

Colm McLoughlin, Managing Director of Dubai Duty Free, said: “Tim has always been a crowd favourite in Dubai and I’m sure there will be plenty of tennis fans out there who will be very pleased to hear he is returning for another shot at the Men’s Open title.� We are looking forward to welcoming him back and hopefully seeing him progress further than he did last year.�
Prefers hardcourts

While everyone assumes that grass is Henman’s best surface because of the headlines surrounding his many years of success at Wimbledon, in fact the 30-year old from Oxford prefers hardcourts. But he has not been able to convert his liking for the courts at the Dubai Tennis Stadium into anything like the success he has enjoyed elsewhere.

His loss last year followed another opening round defeat in 2003, when he slumped out in an equally tight 5-7, 7-6, 6-4 clash with Attila Savolt. In 2002 he did better, reaching the quarter-finals before conceding to the recently-crowned Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson. He also reached the same stage in 1999, going out to eventual champion Jerome Golmard.

But in the two years before that he also fell at the first hurdle.

In 1997 he was beaten in straight sets by Martin Sinner, and in 1998 he came second against another German, Boris Becker, losing 7-5, 6-0.

Now, with just four wins in six appearances, Henman is determined to put things right. He will join World No. 1 Roger Federer, reigning Australian Open champion Marat Safin, tennis legend Andre Agassi and fellow Brit Greg Rusedski when the $1,000,000 ATP Tour event gets under way on February 21.
Star cast

The Dubai Tennis Championships, which is held under the patronage of General Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and UAE Minister of Defence, then continue on February 28 with a Sony Ericsson WTA Tour event that features a star-studded cast of champions.

Big name players include French Open champion Anastasia Myskina, US Open winner Svetlana Kuznetsova, superstar sisters Serena and Venus Williams, and current World No. 1 Lindsay Davenport."

I want some of u to go down there and tell those of us that arent in Dubai what it was like. Its gr8 fun! Trust me.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:27 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dubai Tennis Championships

Here is the website if u need more info:

http://www.dubaitennischampionships.com/

Bob- another one for the lifestyle FAQ.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by Face81
Here is the website if u need more info:

http://www.dubaitennischampionships.com/

Bob- another one for the lifestyle FAQ.

You should print your own FACE EXPLORER. There another happy face, Happy FACE?!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:36 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
hmmmmmm.......... maybe I shud......... that way this Face wud always have a happy face! LOL

oh no......... wot have i started now??? ........ my m8's here cant stop thinking up ways to use my name in a pun. lololol
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:37 pm
The Oracle

I think I will name the book:

Dubai at Face value!

wot do u think?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

I think I will name the book:

Dubai at Face value!

wot do u think?

Magnificant!!!!

Have just checked photoposts, that Tarak guy must love himself?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:44 pm
The Oracle

Magnificant!!!!

Have just checked photoposts, that Tarak guy must love himself?
either that or he completely IT illiterate. LOL

Did u see the many faces of Face? haha
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

either that or he completely IT illiterate. LOL

Did u see the many faces of Face? haha

YES. Never dull and boring. Keep us posted, nice to look at some young fresh flesh!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:54 pm
The Oracle

YES. Never dull and boring. Keep us posted, nice to look at some young fresh flesh!
lol......... I am the one making the sacrifices...... u cant sacrifice The Oracle....... no mutinies...... please...... u r on my side! LOLOLOL
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:56 am
The Oracle

is no1 going to watch the tennis? Its so much fun to watch!

from todays papers....

"Sport | Tennis
Published: 20/2/2005, 10:57 (UAE)

Agassi promises Dubai a fulfilling week of tennis

By Alaric Gomes, Staff Reporter
Dubai: Andre Agassi has promised tennis lovers of the UAE a fulfilling week here at the Dubai Duty Free Men's Open this week.

Andre Agassi hits during his afternoon practice at the Dubai Tennis stadium yesterday.

"There are a lot of stars and the fans here definitely need a great week of tennis," Agassi promised after practising on centre court yesterday afternoon. "I will try and play my best here," he added.

Arguably the most charismatic player of his generation, the American, 34, is a definite hot favourite wherever he goes. And Dubai is no different.

He arrived at Dubai International Airport late on Friday and headed straight to the centre court of the Dubai Tennis Stadium for a practice session with his coach Darren Cahill.

Yesterday, he was on centre court again hitting against Germany's Rainer Schuettler in the afternoon heat. Agassi returned at 5 pm to continue his practice session with Schuettler.

"I am feeling very good physically and mentally. The travelling has not affected me and I still feel I have the focus to go on," Agassi said.

The American has so far played in two tournaments this year, reaching the quarterfinals on both occasions.

He lost to Roger Federer in the last eight stage at the season opening Australian Open and bowed out at the same stage in the San Jose Open against Austrian Jurgen Melzer.

"This looks like a good arena for tennis. With the field, it looks like we are headed to a great week of tennis," Agassi noted.

Such under-par performances by his own high standards have seen Agassi slip into the 11th spot on the Indesit ATP Race position.

"I want to take one day at a time here," Agassi said.

"If I stick to this plan, I think I will be in a good position to advance in this competition," he added.

The American had a word of praise for all his fans, especially those who have rooted for him during his fantastic career.

"Thank you for all your support over the years," Agassi said.

Known to have Iranian roots, Agassi hoped he can stay here for a longer time. "I can do so only if I continue to win. I hope I can come here many times before the end of my career," he said.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:17 pm
Just Incredible

karenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant future

is no1 going to watch the tennis? Its so much fun to watch!

from todays papers....

"Sport | Tennis
Published: 20/2/2005, 10:57 (UAE)

Agassi promises Dubai a fulfilling week of tennis

By Alaric Gomes, Staff Reporter
Dubai: Andre Agassi has promised tennis lovers of the UAE a fulfilling week here at the Dubai Duty Free Men's Open this week.

Andre Agassi hits during his afternoon practice at the Dubai Tennis stadium yesterday.

"There are a lot of stars and the fans here definitely need a great week of tennis," Agassi promised after practising on centre court yesterday afternoon. "I will try and play my best here," he added.

Arguably the most charismatic player of his generation, the American, 34, is a definite hot favourite wherever he goes. And Dubai is no different.

He arrived at Dubai International Airport late on Friday and headed straight to the centre court of the Dubai Tennis Stadium for a practice session with his coach Darren Cahill.

Yesterday, he was on centre court again hitting against Germany's Rainer Schuettler in the afternoon heat. Agassi returned at 5 pm to continue his practice session with Schuettler.

"I am feeling very good physically and mentally. The travelling has not affected me and I still feel I have the focus to go on," Agassi said.

The American has so far played in two tournaments this year, reaching the quarterfinals on both occasions.

He lost to Roger Federer in the last eight stage at the season opening Australian Open and bowed out at the same stage in the San Jose Open against Austrian Jurgen Melzer.

"This looks like a good arena for tennis. With the field, it looks like we are headed to a great week of tennis," Agassi noted.

Such under-par performances by his own high standards have seen Agassi slip into the 11th spot on the Indesit ATP Race position.

"I want to take one day at a time here," Agassi said.

"If I stick to this plan, I think I will be in a good position to advance in this competition," he added.

The American had a word of praise for all his fans, especially those who have rooted for him during his fantastic career.

"Thank you for all your support over the years," Agassi said.

Known to have Iranian roots, Agassi hoped he can stay here for a longer time. "I can do so only if I continue to win. I hope I can come here many times before the end of my career," he said.
Hi Face,

I am going to the tennis. The first match I want to see is the one between Tim Henman and Greg Rusedksi. I think being a Brit, this match is a must.

I have got tickets for the quarter finals / semi-finals and the finals and I am going to pick and choose any other matches I want to see. Unfortunately, even though the dubai tennis championship website gives the details of the draw for the mens singles, it doesn't give a time when these matches are going to be played.

I enjoy watching Wimbledon even though I have never been lucky enough to get tickets for there and I was not going to go down to London to camp out the night before for tickets. At least now, I have the opportunity to see some, if not all, of the great tennis players, both male and female and I am really looking forward to it.

At least we shouldn't have the old english - ''rain stops play''.........
Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by karenb2
Hi Face,

I am going to the tennis. The first match I want to see is the one between Tim Henman and Greg Rusedksi. I think being a Brit, this match is a must.
Which Brit will you cheer for?
Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:26 pm
Just Incredible

karenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
Which Brit will you cheer for?
I have no idea because I think they are both as bad as each other. (sorry I should be supporting these guys) Tin Henman gets to these matches and then loses his bottle and another tennis title slips away.

I don't mind who wins. I would like it to be Tim but I feel that Greg will win this one.

I just want to enjoy the match regardless of the outcome.

Are you going to the tennis DE??
Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by karenb2
I have no idea because I think they are both as bad as each other. (sorry I should be supporting these guys) Tin Henman gets to these matches and then loses his bottle and another tennis title slips away.

I don't mind who wins. I would like it to be Tim but I feel that Greg will win this one.

I just want to enjoy the match regardless of the outcome.

Are you going to the tennis DE??
I might possibly, I'm not quite sure yet, if I don't go to every match I will go for the final ones
Old Feb 20th 2005, 2:41 pm
The Oracle

u 2 better be sure to wrap up warm for the evening matches....... it gets very, very cold in the stands with all that wind blowing around the stadium. Trust me.... u will freeze if u arent prepared for that sort of cold.........

oh and KB........ i hear there is rain forecast for u lot next week.

keep us all up2date on the matches

oh and match schedules can usually be found in the sports section in the GN or KT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.