Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai: Tenancy Contract Clause (Rent Committee)

Dubai: Tenancy Contract Clause (Rent Committee)

Old Dec 23rd 2007, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Tenant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai: Tenancy Contract Clause (Rent Committee)

Hello,

I've been renting in the Ranches for a year now. The Landlord (Emarati) wants me out, I've tried to be as accommodating as possible but the rents seem to have shot up since last year. All things considered I'm looking at an extra cost of around 100K Dirhams, for similar place.

I've asked the Landlord to split this i.e. give me 50K to leave but she said no.

I'm considering going to the Rent Committee but was unsure as to how the following clause would be interpreted by them ‘Tenant agrees that next year renewal is subject to the Landlords approval and the Tenant will vacate the property by the end of this contract, if asked by the Landlord’?

I would be grateful for your opinions and/or contact details for any experts/lawyers in this area.

Best regards,
Tenant
Old Dec 24th 2007, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai: Tenancy Contract Clause (Rent Committee)

Depends - has this clause always been there or was it inserted just last year. Why didi you accept the clause? Now that you have accepted the condition and signed, it is unlikely that the RC will look at your case favourably. However, if you could argue that he wants you out just so he can increase the rent you may still stand a chance.

Suggest you take the contract to the RC, they will let you know upfront whether you stand a chance (before you shell out the fees i.e.). Meanwhile, write to the LL and advise him that you wish to renew the lease for a further period.

Good Luck!
Old Dec 24th 2007, 4:41 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

i had the same clause in my contract and it made no difference, take your contract down to the rent comittee and speak to them.
Also use the search function as there is a wealth of stuff on it in here.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 4:41 am

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tenant
Hello,

I've been renting in the Ranches for a year now. The Landlord (Emarati) wants me out, I've tried to be as accommodating as possible but the rents seem to have shot up since last year. All things considered I'm looking at an extra cost of around 100K Dirhams, for similar place.

I've asked the Landlord to split this i.e. give me 50K to leave but she said no.

I'm considering going to the Rent Committee but was unsure as to how the following clause would be interpreted by them ‘Tenant agrees that next year renewal is subject to the Landlords approval and the Tenant will vacate the property by the end of this contract, if asked by the Landlord’?

I would be grateful for your opinions and/or contact details for any experts/lawyers in this area.

Best regards,
Tenant
This is the standard "green" tenancy contract which everyone signs at the start of their tenancy. As Indie says, just give your landlord notice that you wish to renew the contract then speak to the RC, this should go in your favour unless the owner can prove he needs it for himself.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
i had the same clause in my contract and it made no difference, take your contract down to the rent comittee and speak to them.
Also use the search function as there is a wealth of stuff on it in here.

I am glad I'm renting here
Old Dec 24th 2007, 5:10 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
I am glad I'm renting here
lol, its ok indie I'm sure if you were my landlady i wouldnt have to be a complete bar steward of a tennant to protect myself
Old Dec 24th 2007, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

lol, its ok indie I'm sure if you were my landlady i wouldnt have to be a complete bar steward of a tennant to protect myself
I'd make a completely useless landlady (but very useful to tenants) - sometimes I wish I'd bought a couple of villas and apartments in 2002, just to let them out to labourers and bachelors.....
Old Dec 24th 2007, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Indy, Shiva & BB for taking the time to respond. It certainly gives me a bit more confidence going to the Rent Committee.

Is it worth seeing a lawyer/expert to have the case looked at or discussing this face to face with someone in the know?
Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:07 pm

Thanks Indy, Shiva & BB for taking the time to respond. It certainly gives me a bit more confidence going to the Rent Committee.

Is it worth seeing a lawyer/expert to have the case looked at or discussing this face to face with someone in the know?
You don't need one. What type of villa are you in? The rent laws are going to change soon and it looks like rent hikes for those who are paying below the norm.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beebee
You don't need one. What type of villa are you in? The rent laws are going to change soon and it looks like rent hikes for those who are paying below the norm.
I'm in a 6 Bed in Mirador (type 18 I think)
Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:19 pm

I'm in a 6 Bed in Mirador (type 18 I think)
I don't normally deal in the Ranches so i don't know the current rent for yours but just tell your landlord you wish to stay on (by letter) and then fight your case.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by beebee
it looks like rent hikes for those who are paying below the norm.
Nope, that isn't going to happen..... Last thing they'd do with inflation so high and when they're doing nothing but following the US monetory policy blindly. This was only an idea mooted by the chief honcho at RERA(or some such body...) and was anyway rebuffed by the RC.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:27 am
Just Joined

....the plot thickens

Based on the adivce here I made sure that I sent the LL an email and a letter stating that I wanted to renew. Yesterday the LL called me from the Rent Committee (?) saying that she's filling a case against me.

The LL has never replied to any written communication (in writing that is). Bearing in mind that as of today I am staying here without a contract in place what is the best thing to do next e.g. go to the Rent Committee, sit back and wait for the RC to get in touch with me,.... The LL has verbally said that she doesn't want to renew but not confirmed it in writing.

Thanks, Tenant
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:36 am
**** it we'll do it live

which part of
"use the search function"
and
"go to the rent commitee"
dont you understand???
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

which part of
"use the search function"
and
"go to the rent commitee"
dont you understand???

Hey Shiva, do you think they should go to the Rent Commitee ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.