Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Temp Driving Licence - anyone applied for one before?

Dubai Temp Driving Licence - anyone applied for one before?

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

rachdubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Temp Driving Licence - anyone applied for one before?

Hi everyone.
Re the Dubai 6 month Temporary Driving Licence - does anyone know if you have to have both your UK licence and an IDP? I'm getting conflicting information when I am researching it.
Thanks for your help
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all
Default Re: Dubai Temp Driving Licence - anyone applied for one before?

Originally Posted by rachdubai
Hi everyone.
Re the Dubai 6 month Temporary Driving Licence - does anyone know if you have to have both your UK licence and an IDP? I'm getting conflicting information when I am researching it.
Thanks for your help
i dont know but u cant hire a car without an IDP. I would recommend getting an IDP - its so so quick and easy - just download the form from RAC website, send it off with ur credit card details, photo and driving licence and for £11 they will turn it around in 2 days. my husband sent it off on monday and it arrived on wednesday. perfect.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Desi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really nice

Hi everyone.
Thanks for your help
You can get an IDP from main (or crown) post offices over the counter in the UK. You will need 2 passport size photos. I think its free (cant remember now)
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.
Thanks for your help

You only need a UK driving licence to get a full UAE licence. would asume its the same for the temp one
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

zabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nice

Hi apologies for being thick but what is an IDP ?
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

rachdubai is an unknown quantity at this point

I was the same when I first read it! It is International Driving Permit. Thanks for the advice everyone
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

i hired a car for 3 months without an IDP or a UAE license..

Just my UK one...FACT
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

haider1 is an unknown quantity at this point

A UK International Driving Permit (IDP) is an internationally recognised document, allowing the holder to drive a private motor vehicle when accompanied by a valid UK driving licence.

cost £5.50
valid for 12 months
available to over 18 years old
pick up an application form from your nearest Post Office® branch
Holders of Channel Islands, Isle of Man or any foreign licence should call the AA on 08705 500 600 for guidance.

How to apply
To apply for an IDP through the Post Office®, simply follow the steps below.

1) Pick up an application form from your nearest Post Office® branch that issues IDPs by using our branch locator and selecting 'International driving permit' from the dropdown list. Alternatively, call our helpline on 08457 22 33 44 for your nearest branch.

2) Complete the application form and return it to your selected Post Office® branch. You must apply in person (no third-party applications) and produce one of the following original valid documents:
your UK driving licence (if photocard licence, photocard and counterpart), or
your UK pass certificate (certificate of competence to drive, valid for two years from the date of your test).
This must be accompanied by a recent passport-approved photograph, which is signed on the back, together with some other acceptable signed proof of identity eg. your passport.

PLEASE NOTE: No more than one permit of each type may be issued to an applicant. If you are unable to produce original UK documents or apply in person you cannot obtain an IDP from the Post Office™. Under such circumstances, please call the AA on 0870 5500 600 for guidance.

Source: Postoffice.co.uk

It won't take more than couple of minutes to get one
Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

I got a 6 month Dubai temporary licence on arrival with just my British Licence, did not need to have an IDP.

But rules hereabouts can be arbitrary, and change from day to day and depending on who you are dealing with.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

You ned an IDP to hire a car, if you have not got an IDP then you can get one here or you can have a 6 month temporary driving license, this is in essence a short measure whilst you are waiting for your resident visa to come through
Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lookinatdubai
You ned an IDP to hire a car, if you have not got an IDP then you can get one here or you can have a 6 month temporary driving license, this is in essence a short measure whilst you are waiting for your resident visa to come through
read my above...do you think i just made it up?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
read my above...do you think i just made it up?
was that before you got your residency?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jvr20
was that before you got your residency?
yup, i never had residence for the first 3 or 4 months (i was on 'probation') not that i would accept that nowadays...but i was new once also

i drove a hire car from a big company on just my GB license...Albeit it was the same Hire car company that my company used...

Definitely didnt have a UAE license (no visa) and only got my IDL last year for working in Korea..
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:10 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally, it is illegal to drive on your IDP once you have your Residence Visa. And in order to swap your licence for a UAE driving licence, your licence must have been issued by the same country as your passport.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
yup, i never had residence for the first 3 or 4 months (i was on 'probation') not that i would accept that nowadays...but i was new once also

i drove a hire car from a big company on just my GB license...Albeit it was the same Hire car company that my company used...

Definitely didnt have a UAE license (no visa) and only got my IDL last year for working in Korea..
exactly. that's how you managed to hire a car on GB licence. You couldn't do it now with your residency.

Which is typical of the 'logic' here - suppose you drive to Immigration to pick up your residency... you can drive there, but not back again...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.