Dubai Taxis

Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:47 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Taxis

Are they actually getting worse rather than better? My wife called for one at 1pm this afternoon to take her and our daughter to Modesh Fun City...by 3.30pm no sign. The other week, a friend called for one to collect her from a restaurant at 7pm...an hour later, none had arrived, so she was forced to look elsewhere. What is wrong with these people?
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:48 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Taxis

not enough taxies and crowded roads.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:15 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Are they actually getting worse rather than better? My wife called for one at 1pm this afternoon to take her and our daughter to Modesh Fun City...by 3.30pm no sign. The other week, a friend called for one to collect her from a restaurant at 7pm...an hour later, none had arrived, so she was forced to look elsewhere. What is wrong with these people?
so many fares out there they aren't bothered if people complain or don't get them, so many people need them.

What is this fun city?? I got some free tickets for it from work for some odd reason, maybe they think I'll take my cat?
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:20 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
so many fares out there they aren't bothered if people complain or don't get them, so many people need them.

What is this fun city?? I got some free tickets for it from work for some odd reason, maybe they think I'll take my cat?
that would be fun....
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:22 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

And too many of them are just willing to cancel the message thing and ignore it if:
  • They don't like the location of the collection address
  • They don't find the address with 10 secs of starting to look for it
  • They see some-one else at the side of the road
  • Any other reason that suits them, i.e. can't be arsed, going to breakfast, talking to their mates, smoking a fag etc etc

There have been numerous cases recently where I have called taxis to go the airport in the morning for them then not show up. I then either end up driving round trying to find one, normally within a couple of minutes then go back to the house to drop my car off (not a huge issues but none the less inconvenient and stressful when you are meant to be travelling) or alternatively I have to take my car to the airport and pay parking fee's.

The concept behind the booking system is great but like so many things the implementation of the concept sucks….
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:53 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
that would be fun....
do you want to come with us?
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:55 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
do you want to come with us?
can I bring my kittens...
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

She eventually got a taxi at 3.45pm at the local supermarket, then had to wait 40 minutes for a taxi home! Modesh Fun City is strictly for kids, Spugsy.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

we've had a fairly recent thread on this...dubai transport is shiter than shite, it puts a dampener on most nights out cos of the stress of the sodding taxi not turning up...

MM, xx
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

It's obvious there is only one solution.
Find a good taxi driver and get his mobile number.
That's what we have done, so doesn't seem too much of an issue now.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 8:49 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Spare a thought for the poor bloody drivers, though. They have to pay for their own visas, they have to pay for their own uniforms, the salaries and the hours are terrible, and the RTA just loves any excuse to fine them. I was talking to a driver recently who picked someone up just inside the Sharjah-Dubai border (he said he was the right side of it), was spotted doing so by someone from the RTA who decided he was actually the wrong side of it, and was fined 1000 dhs. That's such serious money to a taxi driver that I think it's out of all proportion.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:05 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
the RTA just loves any excuse to fine them. I was talking to a driver recently who picked someone up just inside the Sharjah-Dubai border (he said he was the right side of it), was spotted doing so by someone from the RTA who decided he was actually the wrong side of it, and was fined 1000 dhs. That's such serious money to a taxi driver that I think it's out of all proportion.
I appreciate its not an easy job but if it is the job you accepted then do it right.... also play by the rules and you don't get fined....
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:43 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welivehere View Post
I appreciate its not an easy job but if it is the job you accepted then do it right.... also play by the rules and you don't get fined....
Its the RTA people should complain about...for example in conference season I've been in taxis where the screen flashes with a message for all taxis to go to the trade centre or face a 500dh fine.

And I guess when a lot of these drivers took the jobs they didn't expect the cost of living to go like it has...and now they are stuck with the job, it's not like they are going to get headhunted for a better position.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad View Post
Its the RTA people should complain about...
I agree but in conjunction with the employee's, it is sometimes too easy to just blame the organization, the staff should also be held accountable if they do not perform.

for example in conference season I've been in taxis where the screen flashes with a message for all taxis to go to the trade centre or face a 500dh fine.
I don't see the issue with this, the software utilized is intelligent enough to recognize if a fare is onboard or if the taxi is en-route to a predefined collection. If it is not on one those tasks then effectively it is free and why should they not be called to an area that has demand? As the closer taxis reach there and alleviate the problem the ones coming from further out will then be released and can go back to cruising.

And I guess when a lot of these drivers took the jobs they didn't expect the cost of living to go like it has ...
Neither did any-one else to be honest

and now they are stuck with the job, it's not like they are going to get headhunted for a better position.
Admittedly but compared to some they do have a relatively (and I use that word objectively) easy job compared to others. They expect to get paid each month therefore it not really a huge ask to expect them to at least cover the basic functions of what they are paid for, within the rules outlined.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:37 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welivehere View Post

I don't see the issue with this, the software utilized is intelligent enough to recognize if a fare is onboard or if the taxi is en-route to a predefined collection. If it is not on one those tasks then effectively it is free and why should they not be called to an area that has demand? As the closer taxis reach there and alleviate the problem the ones coming from further out will then be released and can go back to cruising.

Admittedly but compared to some they do have a relatively (and I use that word objectively) easy job compared to others. They expect to get paid each month therefore it not really a huge ask to expect them to at least cover the basic functions of what they are paid for, within the rules outlined.
I think you overestimate the intelligence of the software - or rather the people who implement/use it.

As for getting paid - as far as I knew they have to bring in a minimum amount each month just to cover rental costs for the taxi, and then anything above that is earnings. This means covering a lot of fares just to break even, perhaps why they are not keen to take somewhere on a relatively small fare through traffic that could take an hour or more.

It does p1ss me off at times when waiting, but I do sympathise with the drivers, lets face it ~5000 taxis for a place of Dubai' population and not any real alternative in terms of public transport is not ideal to start with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.