British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai School Principal Sacked (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-school-principal-sacked-716372/)

John7 May 24th 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Dubai School Principal Sacked

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9385384)
I have. In fact, I have read Qur'aan many times. And I think if one applies common sense to it all, and implements selectively, it can be a good thing.
Of course, all that goes totally against all what the "enlightened ones" (scholars) preach.

Which is the case with Christianity and Judaism as well. I would even go as far to say that every religion does more harm than good if followed by the written word.
Too many people interpret as it suits them.

I do agree with you Alexa, few Scholars or Priests might be in some cases bad examples for the religion they follow

Norm_uk May 24th 2011 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by John7 (Post 9384161)
Again you are deviating from the main subject, but if you want to open a debate on these issues is fine:

1. Isn't Christians and Churchs destroyed Europe in the name of Christ and Church during the dark ages
2. Isn't Christians whom they are the one supported Mojahideen in Afghanistan ( weapons & training) including Osama Bin Laden against Russia
3. Isn't the Christian allies whom they invaded Afghanistan after Russia and until date the killing is not stopped
4. Isn't the Christians armies are invading countries in Asia, Africa & Middle East with daily killings
5. Isn't a Christian army through the Atomic bomb over Japan
6. Isn't The Christians whom they are supporting the Zionist Regime ( Israel) occupying the Palestinian Land
A lot of references of current and history can be given, but can we give an excuse to others to show that Jesus teached these Christians to do such things !!!!, and Jesus is a terrorist, no way of course.

So pls. when you write such comments be fair, and don't spread your poisons

Your comments of "When Muslim armies marched into Byzantine Jerusalem and built a couple of mosques over the ruins of the holiest site in Judaism what exactly where they defending themselves against?" is totally wrong, Firstly: When Muslims entered Jerusalim They entered peacefully and the keys of Jerusalim submitted wellingly to by the priests to muslims, Secondly: The current Mosques sites in Jerualim is not built on the holiest site in Judaism, simply because that Israel ( the Zionists) failed to prove that this is the location since more than 60 years !!!, despite all the extensive researches and demolitions on daily basis done from their side

Your response to my post (which is factual and I challenge you to disprove it) is to bring up US foreign policy as "Christian".

Let me enlighten you with a quote from the Americans themselves....
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."
- Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli - which was in response to unprovoked attacks on US shipping by Muslims resulting in the US building a Navy and handing their arses to them on a plate.

Or you could go straight to their Constitution, the cornerstone of their entire political structure:
"Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances" 1st Amendment.

Nothing you mentioned has been done in the name of Christianity or because Christianity calls for it. The same cannot be said of Muslim aggression over the last 1400 years.

Feel free to actually respond to my points rather than bring up perceived wrongs in other countries which is so typical in your culture of blame and denial. No one is perfect for sure but we at least admit when we are wrong...and we don't demand respect without earning it.

N.

Norm_uk May 24th 2011 11:24 pm

I have. In fact, I have read Qur'aan many times. And I think if one applies common sense to it all, and implements selectively, it can be a good thing.
Of course, all that goes totally against all what the "enlightened ones" (scholars) preach.

What's the point in that?

These books, especially the Koran, are VERY clear that you cannot pick and choose, that you must accept by faith and you cannot change anything because it's the eternal word of god.

Picking and choosing what's in the Koran is like picking the few sensible verses in Mein Kampf...why just do away with it and pick up something by Confucious, Gandhi, or perhaps Jefferson's Bible?

If you were a member of a political party that had as many crimes against humanity committed in it's name as most religions have, wouldn't the moral response be to leave that party completely and condemn it? Why persist in membership and support of any kind (even just "making tea for the Fuhrer" as it were) if you know it's rotten and evil? (well I know why...this "party" proscribes death for those who leave it).

Which is the case with Christianity and Judaism as well. I would even go as far to say that every religion does more harm than good if followed by the written word.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam are based upon the written word. Not following it makes it pointless to be a part of really.

Also, the more fundamentalist a Jain becomes the more safe the world is...the more like Jesus a Christian becomes the more safe the world is. The most Orthodox of Jews are often pacifists - in Israel they are exempt from military service for example...

The more like Muhammad a Muslim is...well, do I need to list why that would be a major problem in the 21st Century?

Too many people interpret as it suits them.

You've just said that it's possible to pick and choose nice stuff then condemned people who interpret scripture as it suits them :confused:

Who gets to say what the "correct" interpretation is? Surely a good system will be easy to understand by most people and not open to gross abuse?

Sure it's better to do away with anything that contradicts what we know to be moral in the 21st Century - slavery, child abuse, the inequality of women, infant genital mutilation, intolerance of people solely based on them subscribing to a different faith or no faith, a lack of rule of law, historical revisionism etc etc.?

N

Norm_uk May 24th 2011 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by John7 (Post 9386244)
It never happened, when I have replied earlier on other threads to show that when we critisize others / insult them, based on religions, race or colour, the other parties may reply back in the same form. Any discussion in any subject should be done in a professional manner. Why do we need to critisize others just for the sake to prove that we are right only !

We don't need to do anything of the sort, especially when the response to any charge or statement is to quote scriptures or simply find fault in the other person.

And especially to anyone who subscribes to a system where criticism is usually met with scorn, punishment and death...

N.

Paracletus May 25th 2011 12:19 am

Just wondering Norm, do you apply Godwin's law to all your debates/arguements?

Alexa May 25th 2011 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9386818)
What's the point in that?

These books, especially the Koran, are VERY clear that you cannot pick and choose, that you must accept by faith and you cannot change anything because it's the eternal word of god.

Picking and choosing what's in the Koran is like picking the few sensible verses in Mein Kampf...why just do away with it and pick up something by Confucious, Gandhi, or perhaps Jefferson's Bible?

If you were a member of a political party that had as many crimes against humanity committed in it's name as most religions have, wouldn't the moral response be to leave that party completely and condemn it? Why persist in membership and support of any kind (even just "making tea for the Fuhrer" as it were) if you know it's rotten and evil? (well I know why...this "party" proscribes death for those who leave it).

Judaism, Christianity and Islam are based upon the written word. Not following it makes it pointless to be a part of really.

Also, the more fundamentalist a Jain becomes the more safe the world is...the more like Jesus a Christian becomes the more safe the world is. The most Orthodox of Jews are often pacifists - in Israel they are exempt from military service for example...

The more like Muhammad a Muslim is...well, do I need to list why that would be a major problem in the 21st Century?

You've just said that it's possible to pick and choose nice stuff then condemned people who interpret scripture as it suits them :confused:

Who gets to say what the "correct" interpretation is? Surely a good system will be easy to understand by most people and not open to gross abuse?

Sure it's better to do away with anything that contradicts what we know to be moral in the 21st Century - slavery, child abuse, the inequality of women, infant genital mutilation, intolerance of people solely based on them subscribing to a different faith or no faith, a lack of rule of law, historical revisionism etc etc.?

N

You are right. I really don't know what else to say at the moment. I will give it some more thought, and get back to you.

Norm_uk May 25th 2011 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 9386912)

I would be very impressed (and concerned for your social life) if you had read even half of my debates let alone all of them.

I think the reality is that you haven't read most of my debates and really only asked is to insinuate fallacy in my arguments (for which using Godwin's law would be useless as it just suggestions Nazi comparisons show a lack of imagination/knowledge of other evil groups and persons) or possibly just to appear clever in the absence of anything useful to post.

Of course this is just my guess and I will happily eat my words if you can come up with a good reason as to why you asked that question.:)

N.

Millhouse May 25th 2011 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 9386912)

Not all of them Paracletus... I think if you use the search function correctly, and carefully, you can find a thread somewhere in May 2009 where Godwin's law doesn't apply.

Norm_uk May 25th 2011 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9387436)
Not all of them Paracletus... I think if you use the search function correctly, and carefully, you can find a thread somewhere in May 2009 where Godwin's law doesn't apply.

Another one who is trying to be clever or who thinks Godwin's law is a proof of fallacy?:blink:

N.

John7 May 27th 2011 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9386753)
Your response to my post (which is factual and I challenge you to disprove it) is to bring up US foreign policy as "Christian".

Let me enlighten you with a quote from the Americans themselves....
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."
- Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli - which was in response to unprovoked attacks on US shipping by Muslims resulting in the US building a Navy and handing their arses to them on a plate.

Or you could go straight to their Constitution, the cornerstone of their entire political structure:
"Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances" 1st Amendment.

Nothing you mentioned has been done in the name of Christianity or because Christianity calls for it. The same cannot be said of Muslim aggression over the last 1400 years.

Feel free to actually respond to my points rather than bring up perceived wrongs in other countries which is so typical in your culture of blame and denial. No one is perfect for sure but we at least admit when we are wrong...and we don't demand respect without earning it.

N.

It seems to be that you didn't get the clear message of my comment, which is if we generalize acts of Muslims ( as persons) and we start insulting Islam as a religion, others can do the same to us, in which any act of countries suxh as US. UK..etc which are in principle a " Christian" nations, all the acts resulted from these nations can be diverted to Christians " in general" as they belong to these nations.

To clarify it more if any act done by a certain person, we shouldn't critise the whole nation / religion that he belongs to.......

Norm_uk May 28th 2011 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by John7 (Post 9393268)
It seems to be that you didn't get the clear message of my comment, which is if we generalize acts of Muslims ( as persons) and we start insulting Islam as a religion, others can do the same to us, in which any act of countries suxh as US. UK..etc which are in principle a " Christian" nations, all the acts resulted from these nations can be diverted to Christians " in general" as they belong to these nations.

Thank you for clarification.

Generalising Muslims is one thing..."insulting" Islam is another. Islam does not tolerate people saying bad things against it and punishes them with beatings, fines, prison or even death. I have always found this a sign of insecurity and weakness...no other religion I know of states in it's "holy book" that someone who converts to another religion should be killed.

Originally Posted by John7 (Post 9393268)
To clarify it more if any act done by a certain person, we shouldn't critise the whole nation / religion that he belongs to.......

I would agree that small groups or individuals don't represent entire nations or beliefs. However this does not mean we cannot questions their actions and motivations...or say bad things about what they believe in even if it is wrong.

N.

Norm_uk May 28th 2011 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9387436)

Only a Nazi would say something like that...it was June not May :p

N.