Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai - Salary levels relative to UK

Dubai - Salary levels relative to UK

Old Feb 7th 2010, 3:31 am
Banned

i-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nice
Default Re: Dubai - Salary levels relative to UK

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
DrBert,
as you suggest its an almost impossible question to answer

I know a lot of people in AD that are comparable or worse gross salaries to the UK. The advantage is that they dont pay tax and the sun shines. The disadvantage is that they work longer hours

I know similar people who are 50 per cent more better off than they would be on in the UK

I know some who are on double what they would be on in the UK and are laughing all the way to the bank

Though people on here will disagree and say its down to how good you were in the UK, a lot has to do with the luck of the draw and who your employer is. I have worked with some super qualified and very good guys who are now working for diddly squat in AD rather than go home to nothing.

Your package whether physical or in cash is on top of that but hours can be longer than the UK dependent upon your chosen career

So there you have it, a post which offers no useful information whatsoever
I do not understand this ( sun shines), could you please tell me?
thanks
Old Feb 7th 2010, 4:08 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by i-like-tea
I do not understand this ( sun shines), could you please tell me?
thanks
it's literal - the sun shines almost every day in this part of the world (barring the few days of rain and sandstorms), and many British people consider this a great "plus", considering that in the UK, sunny days are rarer (and I contest anyone who suggests it's always grey in the UK!)
Old Feb 7th 2010, 4:22 am
Banned

i-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
it's literal - the sun shines almost every day in this part of the world (barring the few days of rain and sandstorms), and many British people consider this a great "plus", considering that in the UK, sunny days are rarer (and I contest anyone who suggests it's always grey in the UK!)
i got it
thanks
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

DrBert is an unknown quantity at this point

My iphone tells me is currently 3 degrees and cloudy here, (didn't actually need the phone to tell me the cloudy bit though..) and Dubai is 23 degrees and sunny Thats a plus.. When it gets to 50 degrees though, I may not be so sure.. I may metl if the A/C fails..
Old Feb 7th 2010, 12:51 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrBert
My iphone tells me is currently 3 degrees and cloudy here, (didn't actually need the phone to tell me the cloudy bit though..) and Dubai is 23 degrees and sunny Thats a plus.. When it gets to 50 degrees though, I may not be so sure.. I may metl if the A/C fails..
I think your iPhone has failed you! lol! It's been cloudy here in Dubai all weekend... the 23 degrees part is right though... a bit nippy really - I had to wear a long-sleeved top yesterday.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

A bit nippy? LOL..

I'm sat in my flat waiting for a central heating engineer to arrive and fix my boiler - bloody thing failed last night just as we are due some more snow.

At least the big fleece I bought for the ski trip I'd planned and just had to cancel is being used. Though not quite for the reason I'd planned..
Old Feb 7th 2010, 1:28 pm
ex-expat

A bit nippy? LOL..

I'm sat in my flat waiting for a central heating engineer to arrive and fix my boiler - bloody thing failed last night just as we are due some more snow.

At least the big fleece I bought for the ski trip I'd planned and just had to cancel is being used. Though not quite for the reason I'd planned..
well, we had a little dust/sand-storm on Thursday which was horrid, if that is any consolation - dust-filled wind that just covers anything in a nice layer of dirt, as well as getting in you eyes, nose and mouth. I was walking back home with the kids - another reason to get one of those cover-all buggy sun-covers!

It's highly ironic that I'm more of a cold-weather person myself, so by the end of March I'm sweltering out here.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Same here, if its cold I can always put a fleece on.. I'm starting to wonder why I'm interested in a move.. Must be nuts..

I've driven through the Sahara in a sandstorm so I know it gets everywhere. Absolutely everywhere..
Old Feb 7th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Talk to loads of people to get a balanced view. You could chat to someone who is still wetting themselves with excitement about getting their car washed every morning for a few quid a month and waking up the sun every day to those who have fallen foul of the banking institutions and cant wait to get out of the place and consider it the worse place on Earth.
Ah yes! You mean the ones that have the rose tinted glasses on! I watched this last year when all the ALOR redundancies were happening - now let's see how it went - "my ...... is OK they are just getting rid of dead wood !" Of course others who had been in ME a few years knew it was time to ship out and most of the rose tinted wearers are still in AD but working for a pittance and earning less than they were in UK.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

No need for a diesel if petrol is cheaper than water..

Since I could do with some winter sun, I'm tempted to head to Dubai for a good look around before I even talk numbers and get interested in a move. Talking to some expats for sure is on my list of things to do..
You are right running and owning a car is cheaper... but that is about the only thing in this place that is!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
You are right running and owning a car is cheaper... but that is about the only thing in this place that is!
Damm, there was me thinking the streets were paved with gold.. Well, they look golden(ish) anyway. If a little dusty

Having seen a few videos on youtube of the driving over there, any thoughts of a high end Porsche have been replaced by wishing for a LandRover with big bull bars..
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Damm, there was me thinking the streets were paved with gold.. Well, they look golden(ish) anyway. If a little dusty

Having seen a few videos on youtube of the driving over there, any thoughts of a high end Porsche have been replaced by wishing for a LandRover with big bull bars..
Everything costs more here than you would imagine. Apart from a couple of things, but that mainly relates to prostitues and nann breads.

Yes, a land rover, or something big from toyota is the way forward!

Good luck with your visit. You may find it cold here in the winter - it's 23oC but we have a very cold wind which makes it feel cooler.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Cheap naan breads, excellent. I'm hoping the local food will be similar to what I know of Iranian and Lebanese food.

If its just McD and KFC, just let me know gently now and I'll look elsewhere for a job.

As for the other... Err.. I'd rather hoped I could make some friends and not need to resort to professional assistance

Having driven a Nissan Patrol through a fair bit of Africa, I don't mind a little bit of assertive driving. You tube has some interesting links though if you like crashes. As with the UK, the slightest bit of rain or fog seems to bring out the special needs cases..
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:44 pm
ex-expat

Cheap naan breads, excellent. I'm hoping the local food will be similar to what I know of Iranian and Lebanese food.

If its just McD and KFC, just let me know gently now and I'll look elsewhere for a job.

As for the other... Err.. I'd rather hoped I could make some friends and not need to resort to professional assistance

Having driven a Nissan Patrol through a fair bit of Africa, I don't mind a little bit of assertive driving. You tube has some interesting links though if you like crashes. As with the UK, the slightest bit of rain or fog seems to bring out the special needs cases..
sorry to break it to you, but the take-out is crud - mostly. And expensive.

Still, that's only a reason not to get take-aways...

As for the rain, well, it doesn't effect drivers here: you can still drive at 120kmph, just stick your hazard lights on!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sorry to break it to you, but the take-out is crud - mostly. And expensive.

Still, that's only a reason not to get take-aways...

As for the rain, well, it doesn't effect drivers here: you can still drive at 120kmph, just stick your hazard lights on!

Have to disagree with you there... We have found an excellent Indian take away here.

Chinese is another story, but I find them variable at home too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.