Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai - Salary levels relative to UK

Dubai - Salary levels relative to UK

Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

DrBert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai - Salary levels relative to UK

I think this is going to be an impossible question to answer, but here goes..

Looking for something to help me think through the financial implications of a possible move to Dubai. I'm single, no kids, just turned 40 and would be looking for an apartment to rent, (at least initially - see if I decide to stay long term I guess..)

I realise the days of a couple of years and your UK mortgage will be paid off are long gone, but I have no real idea about how far money goes in Dubai - although the information I've found here and the wiki has helped hugely

So, could anyone suggest a ballpark ratio to apply to a UK salary to maintain the same standard of living, (or better still improve it and save a bit of cash at the same time..). Currently I've a large two double bedroomed bed flat in a city centre about an hour from London, two cars - daily hack and one for when the sun shines Don't think I'd have that problem in Dubai.. Eat out a couple of times a week, (largely because I'm in the office until stupid o'oclock and its too late to cook..). Don't have an extravagant lifestyle, but I do like a couple of holidays a year if I can, week or so sailing and one skiing..

I've got a couple of flats in the UK which if I could I'd keep and rent out, (one is rented now and covering its costs, the other I'm living in now).

The reason for asking is that the facts and figures here are helpful, but still a little abstract for me - probably because I've yet to even visit Dubai.. I know what it would cost me to say relocate to Cornwall or London - Dubai is a whole different matter..

Thanks all..
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai - Salary levels relative to UK

DrBert,
as you suggest its an almost impossible question to answer

I know a lot of people in AD that are comparable or worse gross salaries to the UK. The advantage is that they dont pay tax and the sun shines. The disadvantage is that they work longer hours

I know similar people who are 50 per cent more better off than they would be on in the UK

I know some who are on double what they would be on in the UK and are laughing all the way to the bank

Though people on here will disagree and say its down to how good you were in the UK, a lot has to do with the luck of the draw and who your employer is. I have worked with some super qualified and very good guys who are now working for diddly squat in AD rather than go home to nothing.

Your package whether physical or in cash is on top of that but hours can be longer than the UK dependent upon your chosen career

So there you have it, a post which offers no useful information whatsoever
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have a job offer in hand?

What is your package?

Here are a few basics:

1. 2-bed flats can be found for 75K AED or slightly less if you bargain harder, or 100K in slightly posher areas (mind you we're talking about a km apart).

2. Cars: can buy a cheap 4x4 from an expat leaving. 65K in cash will gross you a nice two year old semi-luxury or 4x4 car free of debt.

3. Cost of living: if you're not extravagant, someone at your age can live on 1,000 AED a week easily. Less if you're more careful.

Exchange rate is 6 AED to the pound. You do the math.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

could do you a very nice Ford Expedition SUV at a reasonable price. Was going to export AD to Bh in a week but just been offered a supercharged Range Rover here and am tempted
Loan free speshall offa
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
So there you have it, a post which offers no useful information whatsoever
Not at all - any and all information is useful as it helps me get to know the reality of the region even from afar..
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

could do you a very nice Ford Expedition SUV at a reasonable price. Was going to export AD to Bh in a week but just been offered a supercharged Range Rover here and am tempted
Loan free speshall offa
Tempting, but still in the UK, and will be for a good while yet..
Old Feb 6th 2010, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Do you have a job offer in hand?

What is your package?

Here are a few basics:

1. 2-bed flats can be found for 75K AED or slightly less if you bargain harder, or 100K in slightly posher areas (mind you we're talking about a km apart).

2. Cars: can buy a cheap 4x4 from an expat leaving. 65K in cash will gross you a nice two year old semi-luxury or 4x4 car free of debt.

3. Cost of living: if you're not extravagant, someone at your age can live on 1,000 AED a week easily. Less if you're more careful.

Exchange rate is 6 AED to the pound. You do the math.
Thanks, this is really useful..

Situation is that I have no offer, but I have a contact who effectively can make a role for me. If that comes off and the numbers stack up, I'll be very tempted. I hadn't planned on a move until this was floated to me, but now I'm looking into it, I'd be tempted to see what else is around..
Old Feb 6th 2010, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

could do you a very nice Ford Expedition SUV
is there such a thing?
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
is there such a thing?
Lmao, you either like em or hate em. Much better than a Surburban but if you dislike expeditions then you probably dislike surburbans

Love mine but the supercharged RR is a bit of a dream car
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:02 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, everyone's goals are different, so people will have different views on this, but...

As a really, really ball-park figure for the minimum required, take your gross UK salary and add on to it what you're looking to have to pay in rent over here and then round it up nicely... say 10%.

That way, assuming your living costs are more or less the same as in the UK (let's say London prices), you'll actually be saving all the money you would have paid in tax.

So, if you were on £40k in the UK and are looking to get a flat for 120k AED (so £20k), you'd be looking to get at least the equivalent of £60k per year as salary (all allowances included)... round it up a bit to account for "risk" and call it £70k... obviously, the more the better.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Love mine but the supercharged RR is a bit of a dream car
Don't know about the others, but the supercharged Rangie is an awesome car. Good friend has one and I've been seriously impressed by it.. Bit heavy on fuel for the UK, but I guess thats less of a problem in Dubai.

Bit of a leftfield option, the VW Touareg 5L TDi is equally impressive, (and the only diesel I've ever been in that does fewer mpg than my TVR!)
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Obviously, everyone's goals are different, so people will have different views on this, but...
Thanks HelloKitty, really helpful.. I realised that it was a difficult question, but a rough ball park figure is what I need just now.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrBert
Don't know about the others, but the supercharged Rangie is an awesome car. Good friend has one and I've been seriously impressed by it.. Bit heavy on fuel for the UK, but I guess thats less of a problem in Dubai.

Bit of a leftfield option, the VW Touareg 5L TDi is equally impressive, (and the only diesel I've ever been in that does fewer mpg than my TVR!)
Not sure if you can buy diesels here!

To answer your original post though, my main advice would be to visit first, and speak to expats when you are here (not just 5 star hotels) - things on the ground are very different!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Not sure if you can buy diesels here!

To answer your original post though, my main advice would be to visit first, and speak to expats when you are here (not just 5 star hotels) - things on the ground are very different!
No need for a diesel if petrol is cheaper than water..

Since I could do with some winter sun, I'm tempted to head to Dubai for a good look around before I even talk numbers and get interested in a move. Talking to some expats for sure is on my list of things to do..
Old Feb 7th 2010, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DrBert
No need for a diesel if petrol is cheaper than water..

Talking to some expats for sure is on my list of things to do..
Talk to loads of people to get a balanced view. You could chat to someone who is still wetting themselves with excitement about getting their car washed every morning for a few quid a month and waking up the sun every day to those who have fallen foul of the banking institutions and cant wait to get out of the place and consider it the worse place on Earth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.