Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Rent Increases

Dubai Rent Increases

Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai Rent Increases

Hi all,

Just had my renewal letter and my rent has gone up 5k for the year so 65-70k in Tecom- I know a few friends having increases as well- are prices generally on the up?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Rent Increases

Check this Rera page out before you sign anything darling.
http://www.dubailand.gov.ae/English/...culatorEN.aspx
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

OO thanks Pats, it says I am not entitled to any increase in rent- so how enforceable is this?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
OO thanks Pats, it says I am not entitled to any increase in rent- so how enforceable is this?
You tell your landlord that according to the RERA rental calculator he is not allowed to put up your rent, nor is he allowed to evict you. Print the page to show him and also tell him that you spoke to RERA about it and they said that if you have any problem with it to get back in touch.
He cannot change the wording or terms of the contract at all. Just be careful that the next contract he tries to make you sign doesn't have a clause stating 'non renewable"
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Wysiwyg will become famous soon enoughWysiwyg will become famous soon enough

It is enforcable, you just need to stand your ground don't let LL intimidate you. They also have to give you 90 days notice if they are intending any change in renewal. Our LL tried it last year, he was insistant that he HAD to increase by 25%, we did as Patsy said and just kept referring him to the RERA site. He eventually got the hint, but not before threatening to sell, needing to move in himself, all the usual tactics.

This year he didn't even try just renewed..... Enough banging his head against a brick wall. It is surprising how many people just cave in to these LL's.

Good luck..
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Dubai Rent Increases

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
It is enforcable, you just need to stand your ground don't let LL intimidate you. They also have to give you 90 days notice if they are intending any change in renewal. Our LL tried it last year, he was insistant that he HAD to increase by 25%, we did as Patsy said and just kept referring him to the RERA site. He eventually got the hint, but not before threatening to sell, needing to move in himself, all the usual tactics.

This year he didn't even try just renewed..... Enough banging his head against a brick wall. It is surprising how many people just cave in to these LL's.

Good luck..
Actually, it's not really that enforceable. Especially if you have been in the place more than two years. A friend spoke with RERA and they basically said 'sort it out amongst yourselves - you can't force him to rent to you'. You can only do what you did - refer them to the website and hope they just accept it.

But Kitty - yes, do push back. Worth a shot.

As for the rents, they are are going up. I'm moving and am going through all of this right now - my observation is that rents (in the ranches at least) have increased between 10-20% over the last 2 years. On what basis I have no idea.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Certainly in our case RERA were great, We included them in the emails to the LL and the info we were given was spot on. I know quite a few people who have had to file a case with RERA, have gone to court and won. So I think you can enforce it. However, if you don't dance to his fiddle so to speak, he can give you 12 months notice to quit, but at least it is still another year.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
Certainly in our case RERA were great, We included them in the emails to the LL and the info we were given was spot on. I know quite a few people who have had to file a case with RERA, have gone to court and won. So I think you can enforce it. However, if you don't dance to his fiddle so to speak, he can give you 12 months notice to quit, but at least it is still another year.
Good to know. I shall bookmark this thread for when I have to deal with my new asshole landlord next year
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Good to know. I shall bookmark this thread for when I have to deal with my new asshole landlord next year
They make life here a little more entertaining...
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:28 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kittykat.

I apologise for saying this but when it comes to you your landlord probably sees 'naïve expat schmuck' written on your forehead.

I took a look at dubizzle. There are adverts for one-bed flats in the highrise towers in the Greens for 70k, including my old building which was considered a premier building. Emaar and all that.

Unless your place is enormous I don't see any excuse for paying comparable rent in Tecom. It should be at least 10-15k less than the Greens. The whole point of living in Tecom is that it's cheaper.

I remember you posting a similar thread about two years ago. At the time I'd nabbed a place in the Fairways for 60k, less than what you were paying, and my place came with Emaar finishings, a fully fitted kitchen inclusive of all white goods and a fantastic pool complex. The landlord is capitalising on you telling yourself you can't be bothered to move or to put up a fight to extract more money out of you. It's up to you to decide if you want to give in or not.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

bunjiman is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a v nice large 1 bed flat that I've furnished v nicely up for grabs in Tecom if anyone is interested.

Apparently rent is down to 51k this year (I'm paying 55k).

I'm leaving 9th Sept when the lease is up - PM me if interested and I can send you pics.

Crown Residence. Nice (small) building, management, security, pool etc
Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

roy1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bunjiman
Just arrived in dubai and looking for an apartment tecom/greens would be interested in yours. Just joined so cannot pm yet. [<snip>
thanks

Last edited by Bob; Aug 12th 2012 at 12:31 am. Reason: make 3 posts and then you can pm, make a intro for a start...
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

bunjiman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roy1234
Hi Bunjiman
Just arrived in dubai and looking for an apartment tecom/greens would be interested in yours. Just joined so cannot pm yet. [<snip>
thanks
PM me when you get a chance. I'm about to start advertising all the furniture etc to sell, but I'll hang on for a bit if you're interested and want to make a reasonable offer...

ps It really is a nice big flat with everything you'll need - too much to describe here, PM me if serious and want to take a look.

Last edited by bunjiman; Aug 12th 2012 at 2:48 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

Just had my renewal letter and my rent has gone up 5k for the year so 65-70k in Tecom- I know a few friends having increases as well- are prices generally on the up?
My rent on SZR rolled over in May without increase.

They did request an AED 1,200 renewal processing fee, but I declined to pay. They backed down.

I can't speak for all areas, but SZR has a lot of empty flats and there's no possibility of increase until the oversupply is addressed.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:57 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
My rent on SZR rolled over in May without increase.

They did request an AED 1,200 renewal processing fee, but I declined to pay. They backed down.

I can't speak for all areas, but SZR has a lot of empty flats and there's no possibility of increase until the oversupply is addressed.
Where about on SZR are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.