Dubai Questions

Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Danny72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Questions

Hi everyone , I'm a joiner with 25 years experience and am a director of my own small joinery and today was asked about working in Dubai , was told by my customer that my line of work is required out there and the money is very good , he mentioned that I should take a flight out there as his uncle has a construction company out and is currently building a 1000 villas and that he would put me up for $70 for a week in a villa , I have worked in Cyprus before but this seems to be to good to be true

Any advise on what you think and where I could find out any information or contacts would be very helpful

Thanks
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:57 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Questions

Originally Posted by Danny72
Hi everyone , I'm a joiner with 25 years experience and am a director of my own small joinery and today was asked about working in Dubai , was told by my customer that my line of work is required out there and the money is very good , he mentioned that I should take a flight out there as his uncle has a construction company out and is currently building a 1000 villas and that he would put me up for $70 for a week in a villa , I have worked in Cyprus before but this seems to be to good to be true

Any advise on what you think and where I could find out any information or contacts would be very helpful

Thanks
On the whole, most jobs which expats work in, in Dubai, are well paid and I would imagine better paid than in the UK - that's the good news.

The bad news is that carpentry probably isn't one of them. Most construction workers come from Pakistan/Bangladesh and paid peanuts. They are also housed in large labour camps on the outskirts which are not exactly the Hilton.

Similar for maintenance type carpentry in apartment blocks/schools etc.

I would imagine if you were into luxury carpentry such as boat fitting, this might be better paid, but don't know for sure.

I would try to get more specific details from your customer.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 4:21 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Danny and welcome to BE, I agree with the above most skilled tradesmen are Asian expats who work for peanuts. However if your contact is good to his word and maybe looking for a more supervisory position then persue it further. Good luck.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that , I also have experience in construction and joinery management , draughtmans technician and surverying so could I then apply for other positions that are higher and if so where do you find contracts
Old Oct 9th 2013, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I've sent you a Private Message Danny72 with details of a contact who could point you in the right direction. You may need to post a few more times to retrieve message.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've only ever seen marble staircases here.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help , I spoke with my client today and he mentioned that I should see what contract are at the emirates embassy in London and not the one in Dubai .
I have been trolling sites with regards to project manger in joinery installations but every one seems to want someone wit a degree ! Dosent experience count and having knowledge of construction count
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny72
Thanks for the help , I spoke with my client today and he mentioned that I should see what contract are at the emirates embassy in London and not the one in Dubai .
I have been trolling sites with regards to project manger in joinery installations but every one seems to want someone wit a degree ! Dosent experience count and having knowledge of construction count
nope they like to tick their box that says "degree".
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I've only ever seen marble staircases here.
surely they are all gold.