British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   The Dubai question(S)... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-question-s-636059/)

stupid Oct 16th 2009 2:14 pm

The Dubai question(S)...

Hi all,
and thanks in advance to the one that will answer to my questions...

Here's the point :
I'm 32y/o, living in Paris France, single (in a couple of month I guess I'll be).
I was offered a job in Dubai, with an expat status within my company.
The "package" is still not confirmed, but it should be around 40k EUROSper YEAR plus free accommodation, and maybe a free car.
I guess I can ask for a bit more (up to +5k maybe)

I already went into many threads of this forum without succeeding in finding answers to my questions (if you wonder why, just check my name)

1- regarding the package => is it correct to live with ?
Remember I'm 32 and my be willing to go out sometimes (I'm not a party animal)

2- regarding Dubai life =>
Let's be clear... If I sign, I'll go there single, used to the "parisienne" lifestyle... and therefore I expect to have a social life during the 10 to 12 hours out of my office.

That's the most frightening thing for me : the social network !
And when I say "social network", it's more of a 2fold thing : Friends and Girlfriends...

2a : friends... Is it easy to make new friends here ? I heard people cannot drink much alcoohol ? (knowing the brits... I cannot trust that !)
How do you generally party ?
I play the guitar and used to play in a rockband in Paris -> possible in Dubai ?

2b : Ladies...
Of course, I'm not into the "shag" thing, but as every 30y/o young male, I cannot imagine myself 3 years in a place not being able to bring any girl at home :o
What happens when you start having a relationship with, let's say an expat girl in Dubai ?
Should people b very careful when attempting to meet each other or when being in a club or bar ?
What happens when you're into this "1 night thing" with a girl you just met a few hour/ago ?

I may also have some visits of French friends, including girls in my appartment. Some are just friends, others are more...close (let's say) -> is it "legal" or authorized ?

Sorry asking so many (stupid) questions... (although stupid questions don't exist, stupid is the one that not asks !)
Thanks in advance for your answers, and sorry of the part 2 may be a bit direct... :o

I hope I'll red the answers I want ;)

Cheers all !

MataHari Oct 16th 2009 2:25 pm

Re: The Dubai question(S)...

bonjour...

think you'll be fine with regards to going out etc...lots of places to go to, bars, clubs...all can feel like a bit of a holiday, especially if you have a bit of money to spend...

lots of single people here as well, so that shouldn't be a problem either...although it's apparently not always that easy to get a group of friends started, guess it depends on your personality as well...

you can drink loads...just don't go walking the streets shouting and singing and attracting attention to yourself...

it's officially not allowed to share your apartment with someone from the opposite sex, but many do...it's a risk you will have to take...

Euc- Oct 16th 2009 2:40 pm

About your package though, 20k what? Euro, Pound, Yen, Dinar, Dirham, Rand or Zimbabwean dollar?

stupid Oct 16th 2009 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8021585)
About your package though, 20k what? Euro, Pound, Yen, Dinar, Dirham, Rand or Zimbabwean dollar?

Good remark,
I edited my post : >40K Euros per year I guess
=> I estimated a 20K Dirhams per month

Madam Medusa Oct 16th 2009 2:59 pm

you should be fine on that package, as long as accommodation is included...and there's plenty of nightlife, i'm sure you'll have a great time...welcome to british expats, btw...

MM, xx

Hello.Kitty Oct 17th 2009 7:24 am

Well, 40k Euros per year currently works out at 18250 AED a month (219,000 AED per year).

Expect to pay about 100k AED on a nice flat (obviously lots of margin in that, but even on an 80k flat, once you factor in the agent's fees, deposit, etc...), so that'll leave you with 10kAED per month to live and party - a nice 1800-odd Euros.

You know your own finances, so measure up how that compares to what you spend in Paris. You'll have a car to run here (say 2000 AED a month for a hire-car), food shopping (Geant and Carrefour are here so you'll be able to find French brands!), bills... and going out is expensive. Alcohol is expensive (easily 30-60 AED per drink). Eating decent food out is expensive (you could easily pay 500 AED for a meal for 2).

Anyhow... all figures are extremely approximate and just as anywhere, you can save your money or blow it. One thing though - don't be tempted by credit cards.

----------

just read the free accomm and free car bit. Get that in writing! Make sure that it isn't just clever wording by the company - over here they need to break down your salary into "basic salary" and then various allowances for car, accommodation, flights back, healthcare, etc... What often happens is that a job is "sold" on, say "50k per year including benfits/allowances/car/...", so in actual fact, your basic salary is far less that the 50k, cos they don't actually give you a car, they just apportion part of the 50k towards it.

stupid Oct 17th 2009 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8023382)
just read the free accomm and free car bit. Get that in writing! Make sure that it isn't just clever wording by the company - over here they need to break down your salary into "basic salary" and then various allowances for car, accommodation, flights back, healthcare, etc... What often happens is that a job is "sold" on, say "50k per year including benfits/allowances/car/...", so in actual fact, your basic salary is far less that the 50k, cos they don't actually give you a car, they just apportion part of the 50k towards it.

The flat is A PLUS, aside my salary (I strongly checked that with my company ;) )
=> Count 200k AED of "free money"
Regarding the car, I guess that it should not be a problem too, but I removed the 19kAED...
=> lets say 15kAED per month of free money ? (I won't go for less)
(I also may get a 15k €uros "welcome bonus", to be negociated)

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8023382)
Alcohol is expensive (easily 30-60 AED per drink). Eating decent food out is expensive (you could easily pay 500 AED for a meal for 2).

Food : let's say 200AED per day, on a 30 day basis (incl some Restaurant and some Carrefour buyings)
=> 6k AED (is it logical ? seems a lot !!! -> 1200€ per month !! I pay ~700€ in Paris with 5 restaurants per month approx and "carrefour" all the rest)

Remains 9kAED => 150 drinks per month !!! I guess it should be enough... I'm not a heavy drinker ;)

I bet getting laid twice a month cannot be up to a 15kAED-per-month option ! (depends on the girls of course !)

How much do you spend during 1 month, in CarrefourFood, Restaurants, Drinks, Nightlife ?

Timmy Molloy - London Boy Oct 17th 2009 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by stupid (Post 8021522)
Hi all,
and thanks in advance to the one that will answer to my questions...

Here's the point :
I'm 32y/o, living in Paris France, single (in a couple of month I guess I'll be).
I was offered a job in Dubai, with an expat status within my company.
The "package" is still not confirmed, but it should be around 40k EUROSper YEAR plus free accommodation, and maybe a free car.
I guess I can ask for a bit more (up to +5k maybe)

I already went into many threads of this forum without succeeding in finding answers to my questions (if you wonder why, just check my name)

1- regarding the package => is it correct to live with ?
Remember I'm 32 and my be willing to go out sometimes (I'm not a party animal)

2- regarding Dubai life =>
Let's be clear... If I sign, I'll go there single, used to the "parisienne" lifestyle... and therefore I expect to have a social life during the 10 to 12 hours out of my office.

That's the most frightening thing for me : the social network !
And when I say "social network", it's more of a 2fold thing : Friends and Girlfriends...

2a : friends... Is it easy to make new friends here ? I heard people cannot drink much alcoohol ? (knowing the brits... I cannot trust that !)
How do you generally party ?
I play the guitar and used to play in a rockband in Paris -> possible in Dubai ?

Of course, I'm not into the "shag" thing, but as every 30y/o young male, I cannot imagine myself 3 years in a place not being able to bring any girl at home :o
What happens when you start having a relationship with, let's say an expat girl in Dubai ?
Should people b very careful when attempting to meet each other or when being in a club or bar ?
What happens when you're into this "1 night thing" with a girl you just met a few hour/ago ?

I may also have some visits of French friends, including girls in my appartment. Some are just friends, others are more...close (let's say) -> is it "legal" or authorized ?

Sorry asking so many (stupid) questions... (although stupid questions don't exist, stupid is the one that not asks !)
Thanks in advance for your answers, and sorry of the part 2 may be a bit direct... :o

I hope I'll red the answers I want ;)

Cheers all !

Looks like you have a bit of surplus rent me ole China. I suggest putting a hefty amount into a high yield offshore retirement savings plan.

klaus3974 Oct 17th 2009 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by stupid (Post 8021522)

Originally Posted by stupid (Post 8023700)

I bet getting laid twice a month cannot be up to a 15kAED-per-month option ! (depends on the girls of course !)

How much do you spend during 1 month, in CarrefourFood, Restaurants, Drinks, Nightlife ?

Are you 32yo or 15yo? Your shag comments made me laugh. Lucky you Dubai is one of the easiest place to get a girl. You just need a flashy car... pump up your car budget... you will spend less than 1,000 dirhams per month in Carrefour (there is also an Auchan).
You will be fine with 20K per month and accommodation, try to save something to show up when you are back in Paris.

stupid Oct 17th 2009 5:02 pm

Thx Klaus and all the others for your answers. :thumbsup:
(I wonder if my carrefour fidelity card works here !)

Now let's see what the HR will offer me...in the final contract... :fingerscrossed:

Thanks again Brits ! (I found more info here than on any French expats forums !!)

Hello.Kitty Oct 17th 2009 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by stupid (Post 8023700)

I bet getting laid twice a month cannot be up to a 15kAED-per-month option ! (depends on the girls of course !)[/b]

you pay the girls?! :p

My circumstances are different to yours - I have a husband and two kids, so don't get to see much nightlife! Still, our food bills are around the 600AED/week mark, restaurants about 500 a pop, take-away for two, say 100AED a go...

Anyhow, if car and accommodation are really taken care of, you're onto a good thing.

What company is it?! :p (don't answer that here!)

stupid Nov 18th 2009 7:15 am

Hey there,
Just a quick reply : The Dubai question now has an answer :
I have another sexier plan in Eastern Europe I will accept very soon.

Nevertheless, thanks again for your replies and keep the good atmosphere here living !

Cheers all !

Hello.Kitty Nov 18th 2009 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by stupid (Post 8106788)
Hey there,
Just a quick reply : The Dubai question now has an answer :
I have another sexier plan in Eastern Europe I will accept very soon.

Nevertheless, thanks again for your replies and keep the good atmosphere here living !

Cheers all !

hehe - you're nuts!
:eek:
:thumbsup:

stupid Nov 19th 2009 11:16 am

Eastern womens are way more ... interesting :p

More serioulsy, the fi.package+job opportunity+position are way more interesting in EasternEurope.

Sorry for Dubai, I'll miss the sun !! :)

Thx again all. I'll check on this forum for British expats in EE.

Spugsy Nov 19th 2009 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy (Post 8023791)
Looks like you have a bit of surplus rent me ole China. I suggest putting a hefty amount into a high yield offshore retirement savings plan.

or spend it on t shirts and sambuca.