British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai Property Crash (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-property-crash-597492/)

Blue Cat Mar 14th 2009 1:02 pm

Dubai Property Crash

http://www.dubaipropertycrash.com/wp...und-predicted/

read this it's very good, I love this comment at the side of the page

LOOKING FOR A JOB IN DUBAI?......... Don't make us laugh!
If you think just searching on google for ‘Dubai jobs’ and then submitting your details to the crummy job agencies who farm for CVs will get you into the five-star tax-free haven of Dubai, forget it....

What makes you special? Nothing. Don’t waste your time. You need an edge. You need inside knowledge. It’s your only chance of successfully landing a job in Dubai during this global slowdown.

Do you want our inside knowledge? If not, so what - we don’t care. We’ve been there and done it. You probably never will.

For your own sake find out what we know, risk free for 60 days, and get the edge. The details are here.

:rofl:

typical Mar 14th 2009 1:33 pm

Re: Dubai Property Crash

"People are loosing jobs all over the world due to the global financial crisis. This is the best time to get a job in Dubai."

.... riiiiight.

Hello.Kitty Mar 14th 2009 2:27 pm

We had a really interesting chat with our landlord - who's a really nice, normal chap with quite a twisted (even British) sense of humour. Anyhow, amid his usual anecdotes of dodgy dealings and tales of woe, he put forward that "they" are predicting a further 30% crash in rentals in Dubai this year, but a 15% increase in AD. Obviously, no concrete sourses, but he's a local... and not overly hopeful.

Border Reiver Mar 14th 2009 3:53 pm

If rents come down that much in Dubai, but go up that much in AD I would expect to see a bit of a levelling out- people will live in Green Community/Dubai Marina/JLT and just commute to work in AD. That will tend to equalise the rents in both places. They are too close together to have such a huge difference.

Blue Cat Mar 14th 2009 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Border Reiver (Post 7378776)
If rents come down that much in Dubai, but go up that much in AD I would expect to see a bit of a levelling out- people will live in Green Community/Dubai Marina/JLT and just commute to work in AD. That will tend to equalise the rents in both places. They are too close together to have such a huge difference.

I agree, DH says he has heard of alot of people who are planning on moving out of AD.

Roadking Mar 14th 2009 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7378825)
I agree, DH says he has heard of alot of people who are planning on moving out of AD.

No, no, no. Last thing we need is all those low class Abu Dhabiites coming to Dubia, would really bring the neighbourhood down. Keep them in their slums where they belong.

I sense the end of an era. Woe, woe is me......:(

bimcnorth Mar 14th 2009 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7378844)
No, no, no. Last thing we need is all those low class Abu Dhabiites coming to Dubia, would really bring the neighbourhood down. Keep them in their slums where they belong.

But we have heard that the streets are paved with Gold in Dubai and you can pick up free cars outside the airport?

Roadking Mar 14th 2009 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7378853)
But we have heard that the streets are paved with Gold in Dubai and you can pick up free cars outside the airport?

Only if you pay the parking fee....

Autonomy Mar 14th 2009 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7378844)

Yeah, some of them might even be able to spell the name of the city they live in correctly....:p

Roadking Mar 14th 2009 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7378953)
Yeah, some of them might even be able to spell the name of the city they live in correctly....:p

:sneaky:

Eva Mar 14th 2009 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7378953)

Admon, he'll call you a pedant for that.
It just makes me lurve you more Morph:wub:
I posted a song on Music thread and Youtube tolerated piece being spelled peice......me no likee .Song's great though:)

The Dean Mar 14th 2009 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7378603)
We had a really interesting chat with our landlord - who's a really nice, normal chap with quite a twisted (even British) sense of humour. Anyhow, amid his usual anecdotes of dodgy dealings and tales of woe, he put forward that "they" are predicting a further 30% crash in rentals in Dubai this year, but a 15% increase in AD. Obviously, no concrete sourses, but he's a local... and not overly hopeful.

I don't follow that............

Forget the comparisons with Dubai - why should Ab Dab rentals rise at all in the current environment?

Ethos83 Mar 15th 2009 4:01 am

I am assuming it's because A-D has a smaller supply of housing, and under current economic conditions, a slightly stronger demand than in Dubai.

I agree rents won't go up, but I don't expect them to decline noticeably, at least within the next six months.

As for people commuting: know a handful myself. It's a long drive, but if you're working in one of the new masterplanned developments just outside A-D and don't have to drive onto the island itself, it's possible to have a Marina-AD commute in under a hour.

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7379342)

Forget the comparisons with Dubai - why should Ab Dab rentals rise at all in the current environment?

B Bear Mar 15th 2009 4:09 am

The whole commute v. rents thing was covered in the National this weekend...

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...127/0/BUSINESS

TA5 Mar 15th 2009 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by B Bear (Post 7380343)
The whole commute v. rents thing was covered in the National this weekend...

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...127/0/BUSINESS

So basically

2004 : Sharjah : Dubai

2009 : Dubai : Abu Dhabi

So Dapper Dubai becomes Shitty Sharjah in less than 5 years?

bimcnorth Mar 15th 2009 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7379342)

ABU DHABI // More than 50,000 homes will be built for Emiratis over the next 20 years, the Abu Dhabi Urban Planning Council (UPC) said yesterday.

Tens of thousands of Emiratis have applied for government housing and the waiting list is up to five years long, so the announcement was warmly welcomed and heralds much needed relief to a housing crisis that has resulted in spectacular rent increases and forced many people to commute from cheaper areas, such as Buraimi in Oman.

About 30,000 houses will be constructed in Abu Dhabi and 20,000 in Al Ain at an initial cost of Dh25 billion (US$6.8bn) in the first three years.

Both cities suffer from an acute shortage of housing, with demand estimated to exceed supply by a third, with the result being that house prices and rents have soared by as much as 80 per cent in 12 months.

ssuh Mar 16th 2009 6:39 am

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7378853)

Clearly some misunderstanding bimcnorth.

There were only ever 11 cars and with 60,000 new arrivals in February alone they have all gone now....sorry :(

Awfully crowded here at the moment as you can imagine...best stay in AD :p

Ronnie Biggs Mar 16th 2009 6:46 am

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7382470)
ABU DHABI // More than 50,000 homes will be built for Emiratis over the next 20 years, the Abu Dhabi Urban Planning Council (UPC) said yesterday.

Tens of thousands of Emiratis have applied for government housing and the waiting list is up to five years long, so the announcement was warmly welcomed and heralds much needed relief to a housing crisis that has resulted in spectacular rent increases and forced many people to commute from cheaper areas, such as Buraimi in Oman.

About 30,000 houses will be constructed in Abu Dhabi and 20,000 in Al Ain at an initial cost of Dh25 billion (US$6.8bn) in the first three years.

Both cities suffer from an acute shortage of housing, with demand estimated to exceed supply by a third, with the result being that house prices and rents have soared by as much as 80 per cent in 12 months.

That's about the size of it - it's a supply and demand issue. Although saying that, the thousand or so who have been made redundant at Al Raha Beach will be clearing a decent sized space in Khalifa City....

Personally I don't see rents rising in Abu Dhabi, I see them levelling off or even going down slightly. A.D. has been affected by the downturn (far more than people some on here seem to realise) so there are many going home and less new businesses coming out here. For the British companies looking to set up in Abu Dhabi the 25% decline in GBP vs AED hasn't made things any easier. Typically a company setting up here is now looking at £250k+ to set up the smallest of operations once you factor in staff salaries for two, sponsors fee, a year's accomodation and a year's office space. That's a lot for any business to swallow in the current climate.....

B Bear Mar 16th 2009 6:49 am

Defeatist talk - let me check the new gudelines for behaviour and cultural norms... :frown: