Dubai Old Town

Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:48 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Old Town

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi
Fab! Thanks Bonny Boy
I know it's touristy, but I still think the Big Bus is a great way to get around old Dubai. Hop on and off at your leisure and start at Wafi Mall where you can park easily.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:58 am
Just Joined

shantoosie is an unknown quantity at this point

best thing to do is go to Bur Dubai - park your car wander the souks then cross the creek on an abra 1dhs each way to then go to spice and gold souk.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

yep down by the creek is the best place to take visitors i think, you have abras, the museum and it has a nice atmosphere amongst the souks, stop for some lunch at the restaurant on the creek which has decking looking over the water... Food is cheap and you can climb up to the roof for a few pictures if that takes your fancy...

The "old town" is alright, you have some nice restaurants -Meat Co, Mango Tree plus others and cafes there, the are is nice to wander around and then you can go for a drink at the address hotel (Calabar) sit outside and relax on some beanbags!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:48 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bambs,

It may be worth it to check out the Dubai Mall on the way back to Abu. From what I gather Abu doesn't have malls to compare with Dubai, and the Dubai Mall is worth a wander around if only for the aquarium and its own gold souk, not to mention the rather nice architecture and design.

This city did build its malls to be tourist attractions, after all.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:57 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Bambs,

It may be worth it to check out the Dubai Mall on the way back to Abu. From what I gather Abu doesn't have malls to compare with Dubai, and the Dubai Mall is worth a wander around if only for the aquarium and its own gold souk, not to mention the rather nice architecture and design.

This city did build its malls to be tourist attractions, after all.
apart from the Gold Souk, Dubai Mall is the most boring, uninspired, bland looking mall around...
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:05 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
apart from the Gold Souk, Dubai Mall is the most boring, uninspired, bland looking mall around...
I agree, really don't like that Mall at all.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I agree, really don't like that Mall at all.
i don't agree...i like the fact it has natural light, it has every shop you could ever need, including the most fab bookshop in the world, and, more importantly, it's dead handy for where i live, lol...

MM, xx
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

I agree with MM....BEST bookshop (not that that is saying much in DXB) and being able to walk there is a bonus.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i don't agree...i like the fact it has natural light, it has every shop you could ever need, including the most fab bookshop in the world, and, more importantly, it's dead handy for where i live, lol...

MM, xx
I'm sorry the most fab what?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to behold

Are all the shops open in Dubai Mall yet? I have my eye on a rather nice Anya Hindmarch handbag, but the shop hadn't opened last time I was there.

Oh, and what is Ibn Battuta like? I thought it was just Baby Centre and shops like that, but Lionheart's post suggests it might be more interesting than that.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
I'm sorry the most fab what?
woops, sorry sky blue...but kinokuniya is very, very good...

MM, xx
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Are all the shops open in Dubai Mall yet? I have my eye on a rather nice Anya Hindmarch handbag, but the shop hadn't opened last time I was there.

Oh, and what is Ibn Battuta like? I thought it was just Baby Centre and shops like that, but Lionheart's post suggests it might be more interesting than that.
I loved it and actually your visitors will find it interesting as there are different countries inside and the shops look a bit like little houses. Great shops, loads of UK high street and a great mix of shops, I didn't get round it all because himself had ants in his pants, but I managed to spend a fair bit
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
I loved it and actually your visitors will find it interesting as there are different countries inside and the shops look a bit like little houses. Great shops, loads of UK high street and a great mix of shops, I didn't get round it all because himself had ants in his pants, but I managed to spend a fair bit
Is that Ibn Battuta, the one with the scary balloon outside?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that Ibn Battuta, the one with the scary balloon outside?
Yep...it also has a massive carved elephant and an Arab dhow you can walk through.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:00 pm