British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai Old Town (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-old-town-595332/)

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Mar 4th 2009 3:41 am

Dubai Old Town

My folks are here and we are planning a day trip to Dubai tomorrow. We are going to Atlantis and Madinat Jumeirah and one of the Malls, but I also want to take them to the so-called ‘Old Town’. However, I have never been there and don’t know where it is or what it is like.

Can someone enlighten me, please? Thanks. Also, if anybody could recommend anywhere else in Dubai that might be worth a visit, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

admon Mar 4th 2009 3:47 am

Re: Dubai Old Town

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7343512)
My folks are here and we are planning a day trip to Dubai tomorrow. We are going to Atlantis and Madinat Jumeirah and one of the Malls, but I also want to take them to the so-called ‘Old Town’. However, I have never been there and don’t know where it is or what it is like.

Can someone enlighten me, please? Thanks. Also, if anybody could recommend anywhere else in Dubai that might be worth a visit, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

You mean Burj Dubai old town?
Shk Zayed Road, turn off after Safa Salik toll.
Quite well signposted now.
It's just before all the dusit emirates towers etc.

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Mar 4th 2009 3:51 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7343527)
You mean Burj Dubai old town?
Shk Zayed Road, turn off after Safa Salik toll.
Quite well signposted now.
It's just before all the dusit emirates towers etc.

Is that what it's called? I mean where it is all old and there are old boats and stuff.

admon Mar 4th 2009 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7343534)
Is that what it's called? I mean where it is all old and there are old boats and stuff.

thats called the creek..

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Mar 4th 2009 4:02 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7343560)
thats called the creek..

Oh, right. Is it a nice interesting place to take tourists, do you think? Or is there somewhere else with a bit of history that I could take them?

Bonny Boy Mar 4th 2009 4:03 am

I think you mean the creek area, Bur Dubai and Deira. Visit the museum, take an abra across the creek, look at the trading dhows etc.

Unfortunately, central Bur Dubai is congested and lacking in parking spaces. Your best bet is to head to the area signposted 'Rulers Court' which is alongside the creek, at the British consulate, just to the south of central Bur Dubai with parking (relatively) easy.

From here it is a 15 min. walk to the south Bur Dubai abra station/museum/bastakiya area ('old' buildings).

IndieG Mar 4th 2009 4:05 am

Bambi- lol no, the old town is actually spanking new. Think you have to go to the creek (best to go from Deira creek side - there's more parking (after 2 pm) and nice to walk (behind the Sheraton). Plus you can see all the dhows being loaded and unloaded with stuff headed for Iran, Pak, Africa etc

admon Mar 4th 2009 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7343571)
Oh, right. Is it a nice interesting place to take tourists, do you think? Or is there somewhere else with a bit of history that I could take them?

bastikiya is the small area for a bit of history, there is a museum there.

Used to be a nice walk along the creek from the british embassy down to bur dubai where you could stroll and watch life on the creek, haven't been there for a while but I heard some of the area has been boarded up pending development.

On the deira side of the creek, there is a reasonable stroll creekside towards the sheraton, where you can see the dhows being loaded and a bit of 'life'.

spartans53 Mar 4th 2009 4:45 am

Take them to Jebel Ali Club at about 6pm that will give them a taste of old time life lol

Mike

Ethos83 Mar 4th 2009 4:46 am

Don't forget to check out the Gold Souk. Tacky as hell but fun to visit.

lionheart Mar 4th 2009 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7343534)

Only in Dubai would you find that the Old Town was actually built 18 months ago with much still under construction. It's not a touristy place to visit. Even the genuine "old" part of Dubai around the creek is not very interesting. For a family visit, why not try Ibn Battuta Mall, especially the Tunisian(?) Court area where they have built an artificial sky and the China Court, which is nice too. Plenty of free parking. Not much else worth seeing in my opinion.

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Mar 4th 2009 4:50 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 7343579)
Bambi- lol no, the old town is actually spanking new

Ha, ha, only here :D. Thanks for your suggestions, guys. Bastikiya sounds nice. And the Creek. Are they near each other? And is there parking?

Mike - what is Jebel Ali Club, or were you joking?

Bonny Boy Mar 4th 2009 7:25 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7343584)
Used to be a nice walk along the creek from the british embassy down to bur dubai where you could stroll and watch life on the creek, haven't been there for a while but I heard some of the area has been boarded up pending development.

This development ('Waterfront') has stalled, so you can again walk this section of creek and access the grassed areas. However, there are sections where they lifted the paving blocks before work stopped.

Bambi - Bastakiya is just in from the creek, to the north if the British Consulate on the Bur Dubai side. This, Dubai Museum, the 'old' souq and the abra station to get to Deira are all within a 15 minute stroll of each other.

Coming down SZR, take the Maktoum bridge road and then look for signs to Rulers Court. If you cross the bridge, you have gone too far and are in Deira. No matter, effectively turn left straight after Maktoum bridge - which actually means turning off right and looping round, and you are running north along the Deira side of the creek. Several car parking areas are on the left, alongside the creek, but you may have to look hard for a spot.

busybee2 Mar 4th 2009 7:31 am

is old dubai still there :rofl:

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Mar 4th 2009 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 7343903)
This development ('Waterfront') has stalled, so you can again walk this section of creek and access the grassed areas. However, there are sections where they lifted the paving blocks before work stopped.

Bambi - Bastakiya is just in from the creek, to the north if the British Consulate on the Bur Dubai side. This, Dubai Museum, the 'old' souq and the abra station to get to Deira are all within a 15 minute stroll of each other.

Coming down SZR, take the Maktoum bridge road and then look for signs to Rulers Court. If you cross the bridge, you have gone too far and are in Deira. No matter, effectively turn left straight after Maktoum bridge - which actually means turning off right and looping round, and you are running north along the Deira side of the creek. Several car parking areas are on the left, alongside the creek, but you may have to look hard for a spot.

Fab! Thanks Bonny Boy :thumbsup: