British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai to Muscat road-trip--any sauggestions? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-muscat-road-trip-any-sauggestions-550099/)

fritztastic Jul 20th 2008 12:52 pm

Dubai to Muscat road-trip--any sauggestions?

Hola,

A friend and I are planning to drive to Muscat for a long weekend.

Does anyone have any recommendation for things to do or sights to see along the drive?

I've heard its a scenic drive, but couldn't much on-line.

Any advice is always appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Fritz

PS: Yeah, I noticed the "sauggestions," but can't figure out how to edit the subject line?!?

Meow Jul 20th 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Dubai to Muscat road-trip--any sauggestions?

My suggestions: fly there.

It is a long and rather boring drive. The scenery is much the same throughout and there is really nowhere to stop. Muscat does have a lot of interesting roundabouts though. :)

Fascinating fact - you will see loads of crenellated bus stops, but Oman has yet to set up a public bus service!

-

Madam Medusa Jul 20th 2008 1:21 pm

meow is right, it's a boring drive, around 4/5 hours...

MM, xx

The Dean Jul 20th 2008 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by fritztastic (Post 6590880)
Hola,

A friend and I are planning to drive to Muscat for a long weekend.

Does anyone have any recommendation for things to do or sights to see along the drive?

I've heard its a scenic drive, but couldn't much on-line.

Any advice is always appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Fritz

PS: Yeah, I noticed the "sauggestions," but can't figure out how to edit the subject line?!?

Stay at the Shangri-La at Bash El Jism......... brilliant hotel, and a lot less than silly Dubai prices.

Just Browsing Jul 20th 2008 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6590908)
Fascinating fact - you will see loads of crenellated bus stops, but Oman has yet to set up a public bus service!
-

There are one or two busses, but they are not public as such. They are mainly used as taxi stops!

Just Browsing Jul 20th 2008 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6590943)
Stay at the Shangri-La at Bash El Jism......... brilliant hotel, and a lot less than silly Dubai prices.

The Chedi has some good deals on at the moment - off the top of my head think its 72 OR per night inc breackie per room. You won't find them on the webiste though, only advertised locally, for local people (Little Britain anyone:rofl:) Anyway, just call them and say your moving house and need a room for a few nights, seems to work!]

Bonny Boy Jul 21st 2008 4:04 am

You have a choice of the coastal route via Hatta/Sohar or the inland route via Al Ain/Nizwa. The inland route is longer, but being through the mountains, more scenic.

Nizwa is an interesting town, and worth a stop to see the fort and mosque - although this is not the best time of year for strolling about or photography. It is worth reading up on the explorer Wilfred Thesiger's visit to Nizwa in the 1950's to realise just how much the region has changed in such a short period of time. Ibri fort and Bahla castle are also on this route. There are hotels in Bahla and Nizwa that I have staid at - Nothing grand though!

In Muscat I stayed in a small hotel on the corniche in Muttrah. The souq is here and is well worth a visit, as well as the port. Also worth seeing the district where the Sultan's somewhat gaudy palace is located.

shiva Jul 21st 2008 4:48 am

Theres plenty to see on the hatta/muscat road.......IF you have your eyes open! Forts, fishing villages, old souks etc. The people you meet in the small villages are brilliant

The road via nizwa and al ain is the way i'd recommend coming back on. Nizwa is definately worth a visit as is Jebel Akhdar and Jebel Shams

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...el-Shams-9.jpg

http://www.ianandwendy.com/OtherTrip...el-Shams-0.jpg

http://www.ianandwendy.com/OtherTrip...zwa-Fort-8.JPG

fritztastic Jul 21st 2008 9:37 am

Thanks so much!!

I think we're going to take the scenic, longer way there through the mountains, and then come back along the coast.

The Shangri La's Barr Al Jissah Resort has a summer promotion, so I think we're going to stay there; unless someone can convince me the Chedi is much better =)

Can't wait for Muscat--went to Musandam a couple months ago, and loved it...Oman's just a nice, relaxing place!

Meow Jul 21st 2008 9:41 am

If your 'friend' is a girl, then the Chedi might suit, but if the friend is another bloke, go to Barr al Jissah - just don't stay in the family hotel as it is full of families with screaming kids.

Just Browsing Jul 21st 2008 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by fritztastic (Post 6593667)
The Shangri La's Barr Al Jissah Resort has a summer promotion, so I think we're going to stay there; unless someone can convince me the Chedi is much better =)

...Oman's just a nice, relaxing place!

Both hotels are very nice, The Chedi is more central with the Shang being a good distance ouside the "main" Muscat districts. Either way, you are correct, Oman is a great country with very friendly people who will stop at nothing to ensure you feel welcome. I have been here only a short time but you soon come around to the fact that you are very lucky to live in such a fantastic country. Enjoy your stay!

JB