Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

dubai for migrant workers

dubai for migrant workers

Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:58 am
Just Joined

bhoye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dubai for migrant workers

I was wanting a favour of some dubai knowledge….

i know dubai is maybe a great place if you are on a great salary and can enjoy it. but i am sure there is an other side to life there for all the migrant workers which is glossed over and difficult to find information about.

a vietnamese girl I was know is thinking of taking a job in Dubai Duty Free over there, just working in the shops in the airport I think with accomodation provided.
the company have asked for 2000usd up front to cover some costs. they also described tax being deducted but i thought working there was tax free?

her salary after deductions and accommodation taken off is 650usd. is that enough to survive on when accounting for food and living?
i doubt she will be going to the buffet brunches! so maybe 650 is ok.

I’d just read a few stories about poor working and living conditions but that’s maybe for construction labourers.

To be honest I’m a bit worried about her going out there as I don’t have a clue what its like.
she will get paid far better than she would here. I assume you can enjoy it there if you have plenty of money. but probably living costs will be high and she is used to the cheap food etc of vietnam!
the company is Dubai Duty Free so I think its genuine.
Is there much crime and is it a safe place for her and women to live do you think?
all your information is fantastic, please reply. she will make the decision to go in the next few days
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:26 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dubai for migrant workers

Originally Posted by bhoye
I was wanting a favour of some dubai knowledge….

i know dubai is maybe a great place if you are on a great salary and can enjoy it. but i am sure there is an other side to life there for all the migrant workers which is glossed over and difficult to find information about.

a vietnamese girl I was know is thinking of taking a job in Dubai Duty Free over there, just working in the shops in the airport I think with accomodation provided.
the company have asked for 2000usd up front to cover some costs. they also described tax being deducted but i thought working there was tax free?

her salary after deductions and accommodation taken off is 650usd. is that enough to survive on when accounting for food and living?
i doubt she will be going to the buffet brunches! so maybe 650 is ok.

I’d just read a few stories about poor working and living conditions but that’s maybe for construction labourers.

To be honest I’m a bit worried about her going out there as I don’t have a clue what its like.
she will get paid far better than she would here. I assume you can enjoy it there if you have plenty of money. but probably living costs will be high and she is used to the cheap food etc of vietnam!
the company is Dubai Duty Free so I think its genuine.
Is there much crime and is it a safe place for her and women to live do you think?
all your information is fantastic, please reply. she will make the decision to go in the next few days
I'm fairly sure that no-one should EVER pay cash upfront to come over here, she shouldn't pay anything.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:34 am
Just Joined

well they say it is for flights and visa etc. but the flights will be 1000usd max.
i was a bit sceptical.
what about the job and do you believe they would be looked after well?
i actually think the jobs genuine and was advertised in the papers here.
i'm just worried about her safety as she is a pretty vietnamese girl working there with maybe not much support or help and doesn't know anyone.

thanks for your reply.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:43 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Fee's may be for visa but no where near that much and normally is a part of the recruitment cost and yes it should be tax free earning. Deductions may be for housing, maybe food and transport but tax should not be a part of it.

To be honest it all sounds a bit vague, now whether that is the info that is being supplied to her, her to you or you to us is another question but I think there are a more points that need to be clarified if I were her.

Cost of living, there are numerous threads and it really is dependent on who you are and what you want to do.

Sorry to be so vague but your friends may want to understand all the T&C’s of her employment before she starts looking at cost of living….

Good luck though….
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Is she dealing direct through Dubai Duty Free? Or is the 'company' you refer to some middle man agent? I suspect it is an agent given the conditions you mention. In which case proceed very carefully.

It is safe enough for women here - she will be living with lots of her co-workers. Even so, just take the normal big city precautions, that's all.

Working at the airport shops is a pleasant environment compared to many jobs here.

There is a two speed economy in Dubai - yes, there are expensive hotels, brunches, supermarkets etc. But you can also tap in to much lower priced equivalents. People do come here and make a go of it, otherwise they would leave. (Although the balance may be tipping given the way things are going.)

Ask the company if you can speak (privately) with someone (vietnamese?) already out here doing the same job.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:04 am
Just Joined

there was a first screening interview by vietnamese then an interview by some british folk for Dubai Duty Free.
I think its genuine its just the breakdown of costs, but its quite difficult to argue with that if she still thinks its a good chance.
she has spoken to vnese who have done similair work abroad in taiwan and korea and they seemed positive.
thanks for the advice, maybe i'll speak to the company myself to check before she commits.
its a 2year contract so i just hope she isn't unhappy living there if her salary is so little to get by on.
cheers.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bhoye
there was a first screening interview by vietnamese then an interview by some british folk for Dubai Duty Free.
I think its genuine its just the breakdown of costs, but its quite difficult to argue with that if she still thinks its a good chance.
she has spoken to vnese who have done similair work abroad in taiwan and korea and they seemed positive.
thanks for the advice, maybe i'll speak to the company myself to check before she commits.
its a 2year contract so i just hope she isn't unhappy living there if her salary is so little to get by on.
cheers.

was the interview from the DDF people in person?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:37 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't have to worry, my friend. Just tell her to ask for Lionheart at the Irish Village near the airport and I will look after her for youOn a more serious note, if she is already working in the USA or the UK, why on earth would she want to come here?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:49 am
Just Joined

no. working in vietnam. she is vietnamese
i think she was interviewed directly by DDF.
after reading online a few stories i feel like advising her not to go.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm wrong but I did not thinkcompanies were allowed to charge employees for Visa costs.
Sounds dodgy and on the salary she will get it will take a fair time to earn back that amount
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Maybe I'm wrong but I did not thinkcompanies were allowed to charge employees for Visa costs.
Sounds dodgy and on the salary she will get it will take a fair time to earn back that amount
sounds suss to me...and is outrageous given the salary on offer...

MM, xx
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:09 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
sounds suss to me...and is outrageous given the salary on offer...

MM, xx
I agree, if she was my mate I'd be telling her no way.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Employees should not pay any viisa costs at all, she must be going through an agency who are charging these costs
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:12 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be so naive, people.

This is the reality for hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Asian workers in the Middle East. You pay an agent to find you a job - he takes about 3 months salary for flights, visas, fees etc. Then, once they're lucky enough to get the job, they're housed in dormitories or 'staff accommodation', passport collected, and frequently not paid on time etc.

It may shock some of you to see of salaries of 650USD a month - what did you think the Filipina girl on the shop counter was making?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:09 am
Just Joined

to be honest it is probably the vietnamese governement charging these costs, or the company they use as the agent.
it is an agreement between the countries.
she said they were deducting 700usd for housing, which would be two people sharing the same room.
http://www.sovilaco.com/vi/News/86.aspx
obviously the VN government will not look after there overseas workers like other westernised countries.
i read quite a few shocking stories about the passport being confiscated when they arrived.
i believe the job is probably legit, but its just that doubt in my mind if it wasnt. with horrific consequences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.