Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

DUbai media, Wikipedia... you can't handle the truth...

Wikiposts

DUbai media, Wikipedia... you can't handle the truth...

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 6:00 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default DUbai media, Wikipedia... you can't handle the truth...

Interesting to see Wikipedia and the media in Dubai. Full of accurate facts... just goes to show how trusted Dubai's media and Wikipedia as a research source should be...

7DAYS is an English language newspaper published from Dubai, United Arab Emirates with a circulation of 75,000 copies per day. Launched in December 2004, it is the UAE's first tabloid newspaper, and is well-known for its irreverent style and bold reporting.

Published by Al Sidra Media, it is the only newspaper in the UAE that is not beholden to special interest groups, whether it be major business families, or the government, and as such has become a trusted source of news in Dubai, where the majority of its distribution takes place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7DAYS

Gulf News is a daily English language newspaper published from Dubai, United Arab Emirates with a daily readership of 91,000. The paper was founded in 1978 as a tabloid format newspaper, and was relaunched as a broadsheet in 1985.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_News

Khaleej Times is a daily English language newspaper published from Dubai, United Arab Emirates with a readership of 450,000 people around the world (!!!!!) {citation needed}. It is one of the highest read English newspapers in the Gulf region with distribution in UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar and Pakistan. The newspaper is published by Galadri Printing and Publishing Llc. Gulf News is its main competitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaleej_Times

and the most interesting entry for last....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dubai_Enquirer
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 7:43 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DUbai media, Wikipedia... you can't handle the truth...

Originally Posted by Autonomy
just goes to show how trusted Dubai's media and Wikipedia as a research source should be...
FWIW, some serious comparative research was done fairly recently which concluded that Wikipedia was on a par with the Encyclopaedia Britannica for factual accuracy when it came to science topics.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 11:50 am
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Autonomy
and the most interesting entry for last....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dubai_Enquirer
Christ that needs some cleaning up - didn't they even bother to get a grasp of basic wiki-editing guidelines?

They keep using that quote from me as some kind of trophy - despite the fact it never referred to the publication, but their behaviour in an interview with Gulf News where they needlessly exposed and ridiculed someone who had written to them.

The sad thing is that the blogging community, including me, all gave them support and encouragement (and publicity) at the start, then they just shat on a member of the community and insulted a load of others.

I still stand by my original opinion that the publication itself is clever and funny, I just think it's run by a load of wankers. I know who several of them are, but I continue extending them the courtesy of anonymity that they failed to show to the person they ridiculed.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Integrity is so boring - SPILL THEIR NAMES!!!

Originally Posted by secretdubai
I know who several of them are, but I continue extending them the courtesy of anonymity that they failed to show to the person they ridiculed.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:00 pm
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Integrity is so boring - SPILL THEIR NAMES!!!
I can't! It's something I feel really strongly about, protecting people's anonymity online.

That said most people don't realise how Google-able they are. And when you start registering domains, you really need to pay for a third-party anonymiser service.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:27 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

And when you start registering domains, you really need to pay for a third-party anonymiser service
Heh. So now if I'm ever introduced to **** ****** I'll be able to tell him that the Dubai Enquirer is okay, but not as funny as it thinks it is.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I see what you mean.. it's not to hard to find out whois behind that site, huh?
I was hoping it would be someone more interesting.

I can't! It's something I feel really strongly about, protecting people's anonymity online.

That said most people don't realise how Google-able they are. And when you start registering domains, you really need to pay for a third-party anonymiser service.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:06 pm