Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Marina - Tower Living

Dubai Marina - Tower Living

Old Jun 17th 2015, 8:44 am
Just Joined

cabbery is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Marina - Tower Living

Hi Guys, I'll be moving to Dubai in August and looking for a Studio in Dubai Marina and am looking for some advice on which towers to go for, and which to avoid like the plague. Our Budget is up to 75k, what would be the nicest tower we could find a studio in for that price?

Build quality, fittings and finish and maintenance issues would be the key areas of concern.

Have read very bad things about the following towers:
Marina Diamond
Manchester Tower

Unsure Zumurud Tower
Yacht Bay
Royal Oceanic
DEC Tower (Mostly negative rumblings about this)
Marina View

Hoping some others can provide some thoughts on other towers, and/or confirm my suspicions above! Cheers
Old Jun 17th 2015, 11:48 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Marina - Tower Living

I suppose it is down to whether you enjoy living in a termite mound, with parking problems and the traffic jams the Marina has at peak periods. Not forgetting the propensity that high rise blocks here have for catching fire due to the very attractive (but very cheap) cladding.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 12:59 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea why so many people choose to live in The Marina. The buildings nearer Mina Seyahi are a better as they are not so closed in and you avoid the worst of the traffic, but the main part is just tower block after tower block.

There are other options, even on a very low budget. I'd suggest looking elsewhere and you'll get a 1 bed rather than having to live in just one room. Off the top of my head - Tecom, Motor City, DSO and JLT.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot View Post
I suppose it is down to whether you enjoy living in a termite mound, with parking problems and the traffic jams the Marina has at peak periods. Not forgetting the propensity that high rise blocks here have for catching fire due to the very attractive (but very cheap) cladding.
Is that any tower I particular or are you lumping them all together. .
Old Jun 17th 2015, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
I have no idea why so many people choose to live in The Marina. The buildings nearer Mina Seyahi are a better as they are not so closed in and you avoid the worst of the traffic, but the main part is just tower block after tower block.

There are other options, even on a very low budget. I'd suggest looking elsewhere and you'll get a 1 bed rather than having to live in just one room. Off the top of my head - Tecom, Motor City, DSO and JLT.
Closer to the beach, basically.
was considering JLT too, same question applies to the towers there, any to avoid and any to go for?
Old Jun 17th 2015, 1:33 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Where will you be working?
Old Jun 17th 2015, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Where will you be working?
I know traffic will be rubbish, that's basically not even a consideration to be honest. I'll be working all over Dubai. Just after your folks thoughts on some Marina towers what to go for and what to avoid..
Old Jun 17th 2015, 1:39 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabbery View Post
I know traffic will be rubbish, that's basically not even a consideration to be honest. I'll be working all over Dubai. Just after your folks thoughts on some Marina towers what to go for and what to avoid..
Working all over?

My point is, it's sensible to live sort of close to home, it's an easier life. I have commuted the bad way from Business Bay to JLT / Internet Shitty for 4 years. It's soul destroying at times.

Getting in and out of the marina from JLT can take as long as it would for me to get home.

Lots of the towers are dog shit, lots are alright, some are lovely. Emaar ones seem nice on appearance and seem to have decent finishes.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Working all over?

My point is, it's sensible to live sort of close to home, it's an easier life. I have commuted the bad way from Business Bay to JLT / Internet Shitty for 4 years. It's soul destroying at times.

Getting in and out of the marina from JLT can take as long as it would for me to get home.

Lots of the towers are dog shit, lots are alright, some are lovely. Emaar ones seem nice on appearance and seem to have decent finishes.
IT business, clients will be all over Dubai pretty much, so it's hard to say a specific area. Will be driving.
Doubt Emaar is within my budget.

Any thoughts on what towers may be dog shit, and what might be alright?
Old Jun 17th 2015, 1:50 pm
WWLLCJD?

IT business, clients will be all over Dubai pretty much, so it's hard to say a specific area. Will be driving.
Doubt Emaar is within my budget.

Any thoughts on what towers may be dog shit, and what might be alright?
For 75k there are very very few in budget. Opal Tower might be, a mate lives there.

Other than that, I don't know. You'll find plenty in Sport City, Motor City, Business Bay, maybe Barsha etc.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Not much in the way of beaches out in the desert where I am ;-) But you cannot go on the beaches in summer anyway, unless you are a masochist.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 1:57 pm
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by mikewot View Post
Not much in the way of beaches out in the desert where I am ;-) But you cannot go on the beaches in summer anyway, unless you are a masochist.
There are none in Business Bay either but I'm on one of dozens in under 12 mins
Old Jun 17th 2015, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I could never live in studio with a partner. We'd kill each other before the end of the week.

Marina is all right. More popular than it deserves to be and overrated. The beach is possibly the worst beach in Dubai. Traffic is a mare. JLT has a bunch of new inexpensive restaurants opening up that are more interesting than almost anything on offer in the Marina, and when you want the Marina all you need to do is to pop across via the metro bridge.

If my budget was 75K max I'd also look into TECOM for a proper 1-bedroom that is still only five minutes from the Marina. I might even be able to afford a 1-bedroom in the Greens next door.

Where ever you elect to live be aware of district cooling charges, which means you pay separately for AC usage, even when it's not on! It means places like JLT and Motor City are more expensive than they might appear to be. Marina isn't district cooling, outside of JBR, so your AC is free. Same for TECOM and Greens, and the differential can be as much as 10k across the year for a 1-bedroom. Too many people ignore this when making their decision on where to live.

Hi Guys, I'll be moving to Dubai in August and looking for a Studio in Dubai Marina and am looking for some advice on which towers to go for, and which to avoid like the plague. Our Budget is up to 75k, what would be the nicest tower we could find a studio in for that price?

Build quality, fittings and finish and maintenance issues would be the key areas of concern.

Have read very bad things about the following towers:
Marina Diamond
Manchester Tower

Unsure Zumurud Tower
Yacht Bay
Royal Oceanic
DEC Tower (Mostly negative rumblings about this)
Marina View

Hoping some others can provide some thoughts on other towers, and/or confirm my suspicions above! Cheers
Old Jun 17th 2015, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Then why did you move to Business Bay to begin with?

Tens of thousands of apartments in Marina, JLT, TECOM, Greens and Barsha yet you picked the other side of town?

Working all over?

Old Jun 17th 2015, 6:19 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily. I lived there for 1 1/2 years, and chose the location carefully (I was just opposite Barasti, 1 block back from the beach road). To and from SZR in 5 mins. I enjoyed it there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.