British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai Marina - is it nice to live there? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-marina-nice-live-there-861832/)

VHB Jul 14th 2015 7:48 pm

Dubai Marina - is it nice to live there?

Hey there,

I'll be relocating to Dubai with the Mrs (no kids) this October; considering Marina for accommodation. will be working out of internet city; Mrs will probably end up working at DIFC, still looking.

Have read about the traffic situation, since the advent of tram. can someone give an insight into the real deal?

Currently, we live in Canary Wharf, London; we are after a similar environment/water view. and hence thinking about Marina. Any other recommendations of places equally chic? 175-180K budget - 2 bedroom apt. Downtown, JLT, Palm?

Thanks.

Millhouse Jul 15th 2015 7:28 pm

Re: Dubai Marina - is it nice to live there?

I would rather staple my eye lids to my scrotum than live in the marina.

Darren of Arabia Jul 15th 2015 7:46 pm

Where is recommended as I am also possibly moving to Dubai would be working sheikh zagged road where is recommended?

TGFKASE Jul 16th 2015 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Darren of Arabia (Post 11700401)
Where is recommended as I am also possibly moving to Dubai would be working sheikh zagged road where is recommended?

Where on SZR would be helpful, its a long road...

TGFKASE Jul 16th 2015 4:54 am

Originally Posted by VHB (Post 11699433)
Hey there,

I'll be relocating to Dubai with the Mrs (no kids) this October; considering Marina for accommodation. will be working out of internet city; Mrs will probably end up working at DIFC, still looking.

Have read about the traffic situation, since the advent of tram. can someone give an insight into the real deal?

Currently, we live in Canary Wharf, London; we are after a similar environment/water view. and hence thinking about Marina. Any other recommendations of places equally shit? 175-180K budget - 2 bedroom apt. Downtown, JLT, Palm?

Thanks.

I've corrected that for you....

NorthernLad Jul 16th 2015 5:34 am

Originally Posted by VHB (Post 11699433)
Hey there,

Currently, we live in Canary Wharf, London; we are after a similar environment/water view. and hence thinking about Marina. Any other recommendations of places equally chic? 175-180K budget - 2 bedroom apt. Downtown, JLT, Palm?

Thanks.

I work in DIC and live on The Palm, you'll get a Shoreline 2 bed apartment within that budget. Maximum 10 minutes drive to DIC, 15dh in a taxi.
There is more development going on here, currently 5 beach clubs (one of them, Riva, you need to pay for), quite a few mini-marts, and a bar/restaurant in each beach club.
Personally I'd never go for The Marina, traffic is awful.

mission Jul 17th 2015 6:07 am

i've lived the past 8 years in the Marina (bar 1 year of that which was in jlt) and i absolutely love it.....i'd probably avoid JBR, but the Marina side is perfectly fine traffic wise.

VHB Jul 17th 2015 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11700379)
I would rather staple my eye lids to my scrotum than live in the marina.

And why is that? if you could share the reasons, that'd really help. thx.

VHB Jul 17th 2015 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11701422)
i've lived the past 8 years in the Marina (bar 1 year of that which was in jlt) and i absolutely love it.....i'd probably avoid JBR, but the Marina side is perfectly fine traffic wise.

any recommendations for the towers (marina side)? thx.

VHB Jul 18th 2015 12:14 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 11700613)
I've corrected that for you....

would you care to elaborate as to why is it shit? thx.

Millhouse Jul 19th 2015 5:24 am

Originally Posted by VHB (Post 11702031)
And why is that? if you could share the reasons, that'd really help. thx.

Other than the fetish side, I find the marina far from anywhere, dreadful traffic, souless and all the towers are too packed in. All newbies want to go to the marina, but the truth is it is not as great as it first looks. I'd take JLT over the marina if I was forced.

TGFKASE Jul 19th 2015 5:54 am

Originally Posted by VHB (Post 11702038)
would you care to elaborate as to why is it shit? thx.

See below.....

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11702619)
Other than the fetish side, I find the marina far from anywhere, dreadful traffic, souless and all the towers are too packed in. All newbies want to go to the marina, but the truth is it is not as great as it first looks. I'd take JLT over the marina if I was forced.

:goodpost:

themajor Jul 19th 2015 6:29 am

I would imagine that all those critisizing the MARINA complex have never lived in a Marina. That is the difference. I always want a marina view (having lived aboard cruising for 10 years) and if not possible for a Marina view then a very good sea view of ships and yachts at sea.

I might be wrong about the bad comments though?

mdm26 Jul 19th 2015 1:51 pm

Marina is fine! Ok, the JBR side is often a nightmare but if you stick to the Marina side by SZR you wont have a problem. Having lived in London as well you wont find the traffic an issue here at all, only if you decide to live in JBR and have to drive.

(FYI - I live in Dubai Marina, SZR side and have never had issues with traffic...)

mission Jul 20th 2015 9:21 am

Originally Posted by VHB (Post 11702036)
any recommendations for the towers (marina side)? thx.

sure - you could try the following:

Opal Tower
Cayan/Infinity Tower
Orra Marina
Jewels
Dorra Bay
Park Island - 3 towers (although some of the 1 bed units are a little small, but you get some great views of the marina)
Marina Promenade - 3 towers
Elite Residence
Ocean Heights

the above builds are some of the premium buildings in the marina and so the units will be more than some of the other buildings in the marina