Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Marathon-Arrangements?

Dubai Marathon-Arrangements?

Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

moomkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Marathon-Arrangements?

Hopefully starting the DXB marathon in a fortnight and trying to make arrangements. However website has not been updated and I'm confused when/how to get to the start. Website says;

'All participants are advised NOT to attempt to park in the Downtown Dubai area. There will be extensive road closures in place in Downtown Dubai and surrounding areas. If you do drive to the areas surrounding the start and finish you do so at your own risk as this would create extensive traffic congestion and extensive delays in getting to the start. We are exploring the possibilty of the Metro being opened early on Race Day to facilitate the large number of people travelling to the event as participants and spectators. We are also looking at providing shuttle buses from designated locations to and from the start/finish area. There will be a taxi drop off and collection point near the Dubai Mall. Full details will be provided at a later date.'

Please come early to avoid any rush or delays.
'
I've sent them an email without reply. Has anyone got any info whether metro is open, if/where park and ride exists or where/how to get to the drop offs? Any help much appreciated.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:16 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Marathon-Arrangements?

we're filming it so I'll harass my prod co-ordinator tomorrow.

She's a bit useless though, so may take a few days
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks lullabelle, any help much appreciated. Don't really want to have a 5k wander before attempting 42 of them. Most runs send you updates once your signed up but heyho, not DXB. Organisers seem to have been lying low since I signed up.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

mandm65 is an unknown quantity at this point

same here, since i signed up no update, although reg mail did say they will send an update in the 2nd week of Jan along with race number, so this week i suppose?
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

I heard that they are still arguing about the route. The Police want them to go down Al Wasl. Still not been measured either so I hear.

They will let you know on about the Wednesday at a guess.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Couldn't happen anywhere else! I see that they have extended the entry deadline and they are still open. Can't imagine many people deciding to train for a marathon with three weeks to go!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moomkin
Can't imagine many people deciding to train for a marathon with three weeks to go!
Like many things here, it only points to the fact that guy whoever 'running the show' has not got a clue what marathon running is all about!

Secondly its not good advocate for the race as you are giving a clear message that not enough interest generated!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

1500 in the full last year and i'd guess less than 2000 this year.

will be 10000 people running the 10k and telling everyone they are running the marathon.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

maudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant future

that is great of Dubai
Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spartans53
will be 10000 people running the 10k and telling everyone they are running the marathon.
It’s quite common in this part of the world, any distance is a marathon. It was quite shocking when i heard someone saying they are running marathon when i questioned the distance it was 5K....
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

maudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant future

Is it finsih or still yet ?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Dont worry about the route, Turn up at 6.00 am and you will be able to park. Get to the start and run past each K marker till you reach 42. Pick up a medal and an isostar then get so drunk you lose control over your bodies functions.

Then walk around like john wayne for a week.

Job Done
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:55 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about doing the 10K

But dont worry, I won't be telling anyone I just ran a marathon.

Marathons are only worth running after 3.8K of a swim and 180K bike ride.

Good luck and hope the hours of training and blisters pays off
Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Tri's are for kinky people who get off on Lycra. Real men run Ultras lol

Good luck in the 10k
Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:33 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartans53
Tri's are for kinky people who get off on Lycra. Real men run Ultras lol

Good luck in the 10k
Ultra's are for the clinically insane.

I've not signed up for it yet, not sure if I can be arsed, I run more than that every bloody day so it seems a waste of money lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.