British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai Mall (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-mall-571130/)

Shadya Nov 4th 2008 1:54 pm

Dubai Mall

Did anybody go to the grand opening? How is it, especially parking and general access? Is the aquarium worth a look? According to gulfnews.com they have penguins there too.

Hello.Kitty Nov 4th 2008 2:11 pm

Re: Dubai Mall

poor penguins!

I'm not a shopaholic and the prospect of fighting through the crowds with a buggy and toddler who wants to walk everywhere herself fills me with dread. MotE is bad enough!

pauldxb Nov 4th 2008 2:50 pm

I was hoping for some info on dubai mall as im back in the UK for a week i heard the aquarium is amazing ! Can anyone confirm this ?

Jeeper Nov 4th 2008 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 6939439)
I was hoping for some info on dubai mall as im back in the UK for a week i heard the aquarium is amazing ! Can anyone confirm this ?

Had a quick looksee....didnt' find the aquarium but the mall was pretty empty really. That was around 5pm.

Live for now Nov 5th 2008 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 6940075)
Had a quick looksee....didnt' find the aquarium but the mall was pretty empty really. That was around 5pm.

According to reports you cannot miss the Aquarium, wonder if its hidden away so they can easily charge in the future?as for being empty at 5 o clock, wait till the weekend, bet you cannot move.

Meow Nov 5th 2008 3:50 am

Isn't it another 'soft opening' ? Many of the major stores aren't due to open until way into next year. Traffic is going to be horrendous as Access 1 is still shut ans virtually all traffic into that area has to go on one road.

I don't like all these aquariums that are opening here (Dubai Mall, Atlantis, the Dolphins at the Creek etc) as they seem to have too many larger species that I just don't think should be in captivity. I know there is much talk of good care and numerous vets, but it just isn't right. And we all know that Dubai doesn't really care as long as something brings in tourist and visitors keen to spend money.

-

NorthernLad Nov 5th 2008 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6941722)

I don't like all these aquariums that are opening here (Dubai Mall, Atlantis, the Dolphins at the Creek etc) as they seem to have too many larger species that I just don't think should be in captivity. I know there is much talk of good care and numerous vets, but it just isn't right. And we all know that Dubai doesn't really care as long as something brings in tourist and visitors keen to spend money.

-

I couldn't agree more - cant imagine the penguins being to happy stuck in shopping mall.
What astounds me is that they keep building more malls (or extending existing ones). There is only so much shopping people will do, we've just had family here and they got bored after a few days.
Surely time/money/effort would be better spent getting amusement parks open to keep the tourists coming back?

Ethos83 Nov 5th 2008 5:46 am

Sshhhh! Don't tell anyone!

Seriously, fact of the matter is that Dubai is a fairly boring place after two or so days. An afternoon in Deira's gold souk, a morning at a mall, an afternoon at the beach, and you've seen what Dubai has to offer. Why bother coming back? At least Las Vegas has gambling.

Which is why Dubai feels the keen pressure to keep building more extravagant hotels and malls and resorts-that's the only way they can keep the tourism industry viable.

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 6941805)
I couldn't agree more - cant imagine the penguins being to happy stuck in shopping mall.
What astounds me is that they keep building more malls (or extending existing ones). There is only so much shopping people will do, we've just had family here and they got bored after a few days.
Surely time/money/effort would be better spent getting amusement parks open to keep the tourists coming back?

Meow Nov 5th 2008 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 6941909)

Seriously, fact of the matter is that Dubai is a fairly boring place after two or so days. An afternoon in Deira's gold souk, a morning at a mall, an afternoon at the beach, and you've seen what Dubai has to offer. Why bother coming back? At least Las Vegas has gambling.

Which is why Dubai feels the keen pressure to keep building more extravagant hotels and malls and resorts-that's the only way they can keep the tourism industry viable.

There is rather more than that to see and do. Bastikiya, trips to the desert, excellent restaurants, galleries, all that goes on by the Creek, etc. Plus everything in all the other emirates. Shame people don't realise there is more to Dubai than the new bits (Emaar/Marina etc).

Don't forget that Dubailand is being built as the UAE alternative to Disneyland.

We certainly don't need any more shopping malls.

-

Spugsy Nov 5th 2008 5:54 am

you're an idiot.

Meow Nov 5th 2008 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6941925)
you're an idiot.

:rofl: Don't hold back now.

-

Spugsy Nov 5th 2008 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6941927)
:rofl: Don't hold back now.

-

Well it's an idiotic thing to say.

Inselaffen Nov 5th 2008 6:40 am

probably won't be long. Singapore is now building them to attract tourists. Interestingly locals will have to pay to enter but non-locals won't :)

Spugsy Nov 5th 2008 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6941998)
probably won't be long. Singapore is now building them to attract tourists. Interestingly locals will have to pay to enter but non-locals won't :)

have you been to 'four floors of whores' yet mate?

Spugsy Nov 5th 2008 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6941998)

bet that'll go down well eh?