Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai location help

Dubai location help

Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai location help

Hi,

I’m going to be moving to Dubai at the start of 2010 and have been doing some research into where to live. I’ll be working in Sharjah so obviously it’d be preferable to stay on the ‘Sharjah’ to keep commuting times down. I’ve decided against living in Sharjah itself. I'm looking for a 1 or 2 b/room apartment, with a max budget of circa AED 90-100k, but I'd like to come in under this (I'm Scottish after all!!).

I’m favouring a few areas at the moment – Al Mamzar, Old Town, and Mirdif – and would be particularly interested in anyone’s experiences of living in Al Mamzar. Prices seem relatively reasonable, with some nice developments and the beach close by, the cynic in me tells my there must be a downside but haven’t found it yet…

Any help greatly appreciated and indeed if anyone would like to recommend an alternative potential location feel free.

Cheers
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:27 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai location help

Mirdif is more expat orientated, Mamzar area is mainly locals and the Asian workforce, it would be more of an experience though I have to say. Wait til you get here and then take a good look around.

Another bloody Scot

Welcome to BE from a Geordie
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:54 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

At last, another poster from Gods Country.....

Have absolutely no idea about that side of town, as I work in Jebel Ali and stay in 'New Dubai'...

But, cead mille failte to the board and I can only hope you are a fellow sheep-shagger, (I'm fae Inverurie ma'sel...)..

Stand Free....
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
Mirdif is more expat orientated, Mamzar area is mainly locals and the Asian workforce, it would be more of an experience though I have to say. Wait til you get here and then take a good look around.

Another bloody Scot

Welcome to BE from a Geordie
Thanks Blue Cat.

That was the vibe I got from what I've found. I guess half of what I'm trying to do before coming out is work out where to go look at and where to not bother with. I'd like to get somewhere sorted asap once I'm there, rather than be shacked up in a dodgy Sharjah hotel for too long!!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TGFKASE View Post
At last, another poster from Gods Country.....

Have absolutely no idea about that side of town, as I work in Jebel Ali and stay in 'New Dubai'...

But, cead mille failte to the board and I can only hope you are a fellow sheep-shagger, (I'm fae Inverurie ma'sel...)..

Stand Free....
Hi TGFKASE,

I am indeed a born'n'bred mutton molester. On current form though moving half way around the world to avoid using my season ticket seems like a pretty decent idea.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:19 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx View Post
Hi TGFKASE,

I am indeed a born'n'bred mutton molester. On current form though moving half way around the world to avoid using my season ticket seems like a pretty decent idea.
Shouldn't that be 'born inbred' mutton molester
Welcome.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:31 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva View Post
Shouldn't that be 'born inbred' mutton molester
Welcome.
You say to'may'to, I say to'maa'to...
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

grapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nice

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx View Post
Hi,

I’m going to be moving to Dubai at the start of 2010 and have been doing some research into where to live. I’ll be working in Sharjah so obviously it’d be preferable to stay on the ‘Sharjah’ to keep commuting times down. I’ve decided against living in Sharjah itself. I'm looking for a 1 or 2 b/room apartment, with a max budget of circa AED 90-100k, but I'd like to come in under this (I'm Scottish after all!!).

I’m favouring a few areas at the moment – Al Mamzar, Old Town, and Mirdif – and would be particularly interested in anyone’s experiences of living in Al Mamzar. Prices seem relatively reasonable, with some nice developments and the beach close by, the cynic in me tells my there must be a downside but haven’t found it yet…

Any help greatly appreciated and indeed if anyone would like to recommend an alternative potential location feel free.

Cheers
Sharjah roads a pain. Which area of Sharjah you working in makes a difference.

Mirdiff closer than Old Town. Access from Mamzar might be ok with new flyover. Or buy a boat. Old Town good central spot for Dubai, would be my choice of the three by far, but traffic to and from Sharjah will be tiring. Don't do anything until you get here though - take a one month serviced apartment first and get a feel for the place.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:38 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you lived in Dubai you will be going opposite the traffic, which works to your advantage.

If you genuinely wanted to save money live in Sharjah or even better, Ajman. New and cheap flats.

But if you want a decent expat community, Mirdiff and Old Town are your best bets. Mirdiff is popular with families despite being on the wrong side of the tracks, and Old Town is Dubai's latest pretensions to a young and groovy lifestyle.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I'm coming out on a permanent contract so see this a long term move, rather than a couple of years of trying to save as much cash as possible. As such finding a 'community' to settle into is going to be important.

The idea of getting a months serviced apartment whilst scoping things out appeals though, might look into that further.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Bodach is an unknown quantity at this point

Another sweaty sock here, live in Mirdif, work Sharjah Port Khalid, time is max 40 mins each way.

Bod