Dubai Living

Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Ticktock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Living

I am currently negotiating package to move to Dubai. I will be moving with wife and two kids, 10 and 7. Having read other posts on this forum I understand that rents for villas are very expensive, schooling is expensive and decent schools have long waiting lists.
What should I be asking for in my package ., i.e rent, school paid for and what about salary – I assume it will be linked to US $ .. what would be a reasonable wage to enjoy life here and save some cash !?? Thanks for any help/
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:27 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Living

Originally Posted by Ticktock View Post
I am currently negotiating package to move to Dubai. I will be moving with wife and two kids, 10 and 7. Having read other posts on this forum I understand that rents for villas are very expensive, schooling is expensive and decent schools have long waiting lists.
What should I be asking for in my package ., i.e rent, school paid for and what about salary – I assume it will be linked to US $ .. what would be a reasonable wage to enjoy life here and save some cash !?? Thanks for any help/
Hi TT, as mentioned before it really depends on what you do, at what level and who you work for.
2 kids probably means a 4 bed villa, rents are coming down but figure +/- $90k, school fees per rug rat +/- $15k per annum; should be able to find places as many have left or are leaving but don't expect schools to beg for your kids, they will tell you they are full.
Salary should be what is comfortable for you, living costs are similar to other major cities with some pros and some cons.

Gotta have a beer now; that was a half way sensible response from me which is weird!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

90K? You can get a big decent 3/4 bedrooms Villa for $60K (220K Dhs) per year and going down...

Take into account that Americans do pay taxes even they go abroad.

Good luck!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:49 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klaus3974 View Post
90K? You can get a big decent 3/4 bedrooms Villa for $60K (220K Dhs) per year and going down...

Good luck!
Aah, yes. I live in Dubai...not the desert. Arabian Rancid, Camel Meadows or International Shitty should provide what you want.

Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

zahirshah is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck!
yes, american are going to pay many taxes
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
Aah, yes. I live in Dubai...not the desert. Arabian Rancid, Camel Meadows or International Shitty should provide what you want.

And you think you are funny... How old are you? Hahaha. Not everyone is a Jumeirah Jane.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:37 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are villas in Jumeira and Umm Suqeim that are now asking around the 250K benchmark for four bedrooms (or USD 67,000). They will be older villas, but odds are that by the time you arrive in Dubai the rents will be even lower.

Springs, Meadows and Arabian Ranches are all very popular with expat families for many good reasons. Comfortably sized three bedrooms plus maid's in the Springs are now around the 150-180K benchmark.

As for your package: get at least 200,000 for housing allowance, payable upfront if you can. The differential will go to pay the Dewa (water and electricity). School fees will be 50,000 AED for the year, per child, at the better schools.

If you can negotiate 300K for housing/schools and at least 300K for base salary, you will live comfortably in Dubai, especially if you negotiate a higher housing allowance and find a cheaper place and pocket the difference.

Keep in mind that Americans are required to pay income tax on all income above 80,000 USD for a single, or 160,000 USD for a married couple. You can play some kind of game with writing off some of your housing allowance, but the IRS isn't as forgivable with this as it once was.

Last bit of advice: when you do come over here and start looking for houses and cars, take your time. Unlike the unlucky people who came over in the last three years, you are in the catbird seat and have the luxury of choosing what you want.

Last edited by Ethos83; Mar 6th 2009 at 6:45 am.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Ticktock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your comments - I really do need to ensure that I get acc, schools, flights etc included in package. Thanks again !
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:28 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also ensure that health insurance is covered.

I would ask your company for the housing allowance payable upfront in one big check, for that gives you lots of leverage. If your company only offers housing allowance on a monthly basis, then you'll have to find a landlord that will accept rent in 3-4 cheques, which is actually becoming the reality these days compared to a few months ago when almost everyone wanted one check per year.

But still try to get the entire housing upfront, as it's something that's not refundable back to the company should you lose your job, and it ensures that you don't need to borrow money from the bank to pay any housing. It just gives you a bit more peace of the mind.

Originally Posted by Ticktock View Post
Thanks all for your comments - I really do need to ensure that I get acc, schools, flights etc included in package. Thanks again !
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:49 pm
If I have to explain...

And you think you are funny... How old are you? Hahaha. Not everyone is a Jumeirah Jane.
No, some are Umm Sequim Sallys....
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:36 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post

But still try to get the entire housing upfront, as it's something that's not refundable back to the company should you lose your job.
really?! Are you sure?!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

No, some are Umm Sequim Sallys....
LOL ! The term Jumeirah Jane i had heard off but i like the Arabian Rancid etc etc comments BUT before i get a lot of :curse: comments i like those areas i guess im a Jumeirah Jane..... is there a male version Ha Ha....
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:35 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

4 bed independent in Jumeirah advertised at 250 yesterday
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:05 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
4 bed independent in Jumeirah advertised at 250 yesterday
Typical...:curse:
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:52 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Typical...:curse:
oh and it had a pool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.