Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Information please

Dubai Information please

Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:21 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Information please

Wooohooo!

Shit, where's my popcorn eating gif gone???
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah. I wouldn't mind some popcorn too. And a beer.

Someone's in a bad mood today, and I hate to break it to her. No matter how defensive she gets or how much she likes Mirdiff, in popular Dubai mindset Mirdiff is still....Mirdiff.

Originally Posted by Roadking
Wooohooo!

Shit, where's my popcorn eating gif gone???
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dundonald
ok thx I really apreciate all of the info all you have provided, just one silly question...where is "The Springs", sorry but i can seem to locate that area and anyway no rentals showing up for there. Funny thing is more rentals showing up for Mirdiff than almost anywhere else, I did take a drive round there when I went out for a look and I saw this big brown aparment looking area , looks like the pictures on Better homes website , it was pretty close to the flight path and Iam guess thing they just opened it up for lets/sales given the number of ads.

I am hoping to be coming back out for another look before i get things settled. Anyone got more advice on cost of cars , furnature also, must be some places that sell decent secondhand stuff, I am think of cookers ( if not included) washing machines , maybe dining tables , beds ,fridges I would buy new , but i am curious with the turnround there must be of people what happens to stuff, do people ship home or just dump?

Whats best second hand car or new?

I was joking when I said the Springs... it's probably too far away...
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:31 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

Someone's in a bad mood today, and I hate to break it to her. No matter how defensive she gets or how much she likes Mirdiff, in popular Dubai mindset Mirdiff is still....Mirdiff.
and luckily I really don't give a toss about the 'popular Dubai mindset'...
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:32 am
Account Closed

Mirdiff is fine, really, even if there's a certain uptight Dutch woman living there.

I wouldn't rely on Better Homes as when I was looking I found their advertised rental prices to be on average 20% higher than what the market really was. Check Dubizzle and click on the propert advert section for a much more accurate picture of property prices and availability. Loads of properties in the Springs.

In terms of acquiring stuff in Dubai, Dubizzle and souq.com are your best bet. High turnover so you need to move fast. Many people buy brand new furniture and sell it at huge discounts a year or two later when they need to leave Dubai. It's only worth it to ship furniture if you have an entire villa, otherwise the cost of shipping is probably more than buying new furniture at Ikea, giving it away when you leave and rebuying the identical furniture back home.

Cars - check Dubizzle. Lots of good deals at the moment. Buying new gives you a better warranty, but if you trust your instinct and buy secondhand from a respectable looking western expat, you'll get good deals.

Living expenses - be aware that utilities costs are much higher in villas than in apartments.

ok thx I really apreciate all of the info all you have provided, just one silly question...where is "The Springs", sorry but i can seem to locate that area and anyway no rentals showing up for there. Funny thing is more rentals showing up for Mirdiff than almost anywhere else, I did take a drive round there when I went out for a look and I saw this big brown aparment looking area , looks like the pictures on Better homes website , it was pretty close to the flight path and Iam guess thing they just opened it up for lets/sales given the number of ads.

I am hoping to be coming back out for another look before i get things settled. Anyone got more advice on cost of cars , furnature also, must be some places that sell decent secondhand stuff, I am think of cookers ( if not included) washing machines , maybe dining tables , beds ,fridges I would buy new , but i am curious with the turnround there must be of people what happens to stuff, do people ship home or just dump?

Whats best second hand car or new?

Last edited by Ethos83; Oct 6th 2010 at 11:38 am.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Some cracking houses out that way though. The only thing that really put us off was being able to read the headlines of the newpapers that the plane passengers were reading.

But not all of Mirdiff is like that apparently and the new development was ok.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:33 am
Account Closed

No one cares what you think about the popular Dubai mindset. Mirdiff is just fine. The mall is nice. But the fellow asked a question and we simply gave him an indication of what the attitudes towards Mirdiff can be like.

Originally Posted by MataHari
and luckily I really don't give a toss about the 'popular Dubai mindset'...
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:35 am
Just Joined

dundonald is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Some cracking houses out that way though. The only thing that really put us off was being able to read the headlines of the newpapers that the plane passengers were reading.

But not all of Mirdiff is like that apparently and the new development was ok.
saves buy a daily paper I suppose!!!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:43 am
Just Joined

dundonald is an unknown quantity at this point

Mirdiff is fine, really, even if there's a certain uptight Dutch woman living there.

I wouldn't rely on Better Homes as when I was looking I found their advertised rental prices to be on average 20% higher than what the market really was. Check Dubizzle and click on the propert advert section for a much more accurate picture of property prices and availability. Loads of properties in the Springs.

In terms of acquiring stuff in Dubai, Dubizzle and souq.com are your best bet. High turnover so you need to move fast. Many people buy brand new furniture and sell it at huge discounts a year or two later when they need to leave Dubai. It's only worth it to ship furniture if you have an entire villa, otherwise the cost of shipping is probably more than buying new furniture at Ikea, giving it away when you leave and rebuying the identical furniture back home.

Cars - check Dubizzle. Lots of good deals at the moment. Buying new gives you a better warranty, but if you trust your instinct and buy secondhand from a respectable looking western expat, you'll get good deals.

Living expenses - be aware that utilities costs are much higher in villas than in apartments.
thx for the dubizzle ref , great source of info.., got any more sites like that stored away !
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:47 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

thx for the dubizzle ref , great source of info.., got any more sites like that stored away !
britishexpats.com is good for the odd cyber fight....
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:03 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>

How do we recognise one of those?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:06 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
they don't live in Mirdif for a start...
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow
you find one that still wears the tie and cufflinks from his public school.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

who'd want to live in sharjah...it's a frigging dump.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:08 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
who'd want to live in sharjah...it's a frigging dump.