Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Information please

Dubai Information please

Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:38 am
Just Joined

dundonald is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai Information please

My thanks to all who took the time to reply, the information is very much appreciated.

I was advised against Sharjah and having driven through part of it I can understand why. The housing may be cheaper and I will look at it when the time comes to get the apartment. Mirdiff was also recommended and looks ok.

As I would be working in or around Sharjah airport travelling from Dubai will be a pain but then I was told by a local that even getting in and out of some area's in Sharjah to the airport can take longer than driving from Dubai...anyone got comments on that?

The response on the DEWA was interesting.

How does Sharjah compare to say International City or Dubailand area's.

I am also looking for good advice on car buying and running costs, if anyone feels interested in passing it on , I would appreciate it.

Thx to all

Mike
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MataHari
good thing I was in a better mood than you are...
thanks for taking the time to reply!...the info you provided , info was great..
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ethos83
And let's not forget the power outages in the middle of the summer. No AC for days on end...

Sharjah is shitty. No way around it.
so how does Mirdiff, IMPZ or International city compare with Sharjah. Looking on property search sites like better homes.com or gulf news property their seems to be plenty of accomodation in these areas which compare price wise with Sharjah. It would mean a bit extra drive for me, but that I dont mind.

Any advice or views welcome.

thx
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dundonald
so how does Mirdiff, IMPZ or International city compare with Sharjah. Looking on property search sites like better homes.com or gulf news property their seems to be plenty of accomodation in these areas which compare price wise with Sharjah. It would mean a bit extra drive for me, but that I dont mind.

Any advice or views welcome.

thx
Do not move to International City.

IMPZ - is that actually built yet? It's in the middle of nowhere. if you are happy for that kind of drive you might as well consider the springs! Motorcity might be an option.

Mirdiff is probably the best location for you. Especially if you like planes.

Last edited by Millhouse; Oct 6th 2010 at 4:38 am.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Do not move to International City.

IMPZ - is that actually built yet? It's in the middle of nowhere. if you are happy for that kind of drive you might as well consider the springs! Motorcity might be an option.

Mirdiff is probably the best location for you. Especially if you like planes.
thanks, so I guess that means that Mirdiff is a bit like Hounslow, direct under the flightpath...yeah ok I will be working near Sharjah Airport but I am not that crazy about plane noise so I would like to avoid that if possible.

This position wont happen for a few months yet and I had seen apartments for rent in IMPZ but I guess from what you are saying it will be a bit of a building site! Not exactly what I am looking for. I dont mind being a bit out in the sticks, if it means avoiding traffic jams etc, but I dont want to be totally isolated either. This is why your feed back is so usefull, please if you have more info any other area's let me know.

So Motor City and The springs , what they like then?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:28 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Barratt homes without the quality.

In all seriousness, both are more preferable to IMPZ, which is genuinely in the middle of the desert. If you are working by Sharjah Airport you will be commuting by Emirates Road, which isn't half bad and traffic flows smoothly. Silicon Oasis is cheap but nicer than International Citu and closer than Motor City or the Springs, although the latter two have many more amenities.

Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, so I guess that means that Mirdiff is a bit like Hounslow, direct under the flightpath...yeah ok I will be working near Sharjah Airport but I am not that crazy about plane noise so I would like to avoid that if possible.

This position wont happen for a few months yet and I had seen apartments for rent in IMPZ but I guess from what you are saying it will be a bit of a building site! Not exactly what I am looking for. I dont mind being a bit out in the sticks, if it means avoiding traffic jams etc, but I dont want to be totally isolated either. This is why your feed back is so usefull, please if you have more info any other area's let me know.

Motor City is ok, it now has a "jimmy's killer prawns". Springs is too far to commute.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Sharjah once, got abuse of a guy in a petrol station, leered at in a mall ( ok you get that in Dubai) so never plan on going back unless I really reallly reallllllly have to and will be wearing an Abaya, dying my hair brunette and wearing brown contact lenses when i do!

No idea about most of those areas, although I have a friend with a villa in mirdiff which is lovely. International Shitty as I have heard it named sounds delightful. Motor City- never been but i thought it was a theme park for quite a long time withe the funny rollercoaster looking thing ( what is that anyway), IMPZ- I don't have any idea at all what that even stands for, and the Springs- I have heard not such bad things about.

Mirdiff would be my choice anyway. And you get used to the noise ( I lived under Gatwick flight path, by Clapham Junction station ( close enough you could hear the tanoy) and by a fire station and I hardly ever noticed it at all!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:51 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

it's not that bad, Mirdif is quite a big place and not every part is under the flightpath...and I have lived here for 6 years, as opposed to Emiratesmillthingy, who just had a little drive round...
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:56 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing about Mirdiff is that it's like the London north versus south of the river debate.

People south of the river keep saying, 'oh, its quite nice down here, there's plenty of lovely neighbourhoods and Wimbledon and Putney are shockingly expensive and all that. And there's a nice community feel and it's quieter yet so handy to the City/West End.'

Peope north of the rivery reply with: 'you're still south of the river.'

No matter how many amenities Mirdif(f) may have it's still Mirdiff.

it's not that bad, Mirdif is quite a big place and not every part is under the flightpath...and I have lived here for 6 years, as opposed to Emiratesmillthingy, who just had a little drive round...
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

While that you think you have got me there... I'm not the first to comment on the planes... and there were a lot.

I wouldn't rule it out, and I did say that Mirdiff is the place for him.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The thing about Mirdiff is that it's like the London north versus south of the river debate.
It doesn't even come close to that. It's more like the syphilis vs. gonorrhea debate.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:10 am
Just Joined

While that you think you have got me there... I'm not the first to comment on the planes... and there were a lot.

ok thx I really apreciate all of the info all you have provided, just one silly question...where is "The Springs", sorry but i can seem to locate that area and anyway no rentals showing up for there. Funny thing is more rentals showing up for Mirdiff than almost anywhere else, I did take a drive round there when I went out for a look and I saw this big brown aparment looking area , looks like the pictures on Better homes website , it was pretty close to the flight path and Iam guess thing they just opened it up for lets/sales given the number of ads.

I am hoping to be coming back out for another look before i get things settled. Anyone got more advice on cost of cars , furnature also, must be some places that sell decent secondhand stuff, I am think of cookers ( if not included) washing machines , maybe dining tables , beds ,fridges I would buy new , but i am curious with the turnround there must be of people what happens to stuff, do people ship home or just dump?

Whats best second hand car or new?

Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:11 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I am not saying there are no planes...cause that would be silly
but it's not as if you are automatically under the flightpath when you live in Mirdif.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:16 am
hmmmm...nice

People south of the river keep saying, 'oh, its quite nice down here, there's plenty of lovely neighbourhoods and Wimbledon and Putney are shockingly expensive and all that. And there's a nice community feel and it's quieter yet so handy to the City/West End.'

Peope north of the rivery reply with: 'you're still south of the river.'

No matter how many amenities Mirdif(f) may have it's still Mirdiff.
whatever...I like it here, I don't care if it's not up to your standards or anyone elses for that matter...I don't care if it's not 'the place to be' or it's the poor area or or or....
You seem to be obsessed with status and what other people think...you really really piss me off with the patronizing crap you post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.