Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?

View Poll Results: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?
1 week
4.76%
1 month
4.76%
6 months
33.33%
1 year
14.29%
2 years or more
42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Dubai: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?

Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:23 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Some might not 'OBEY' them.....but they for the most part accept the consequences if they get stung
Westerners, and Brits in particular, are among the worst for drinking and driving. I know a couple who'd been doing it habitually for years, finally got caught, and neither was very accepting of the fact that they had to go to jail for a month.

All you can say to people like that is "why be so f**king stupid as to drink and drive in the first place?"
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
Westerners, and Brits in particular, are among the worst for drinking and driving. I know a couple who'd been doing it habitually for years, finally got caught, and neither was very accepting of the fact that they had to go to jail for a month.

All you can say to people like that is "why be so f**king stupid as to drink and drive in the first place?"
I agree Gareth...cabs are so cheap here there's no excuse for drinking and driving. And, if you are moronic enough to do it and get caught, then accept your fate, don't friggin moan about it, it's not like we don't all know what the consequences are.

MM, xx
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:56 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
you dont kiss???
in the Hello dahhhhhhling you look wonderfull way of things....
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR

them would be da dumb ones then.
everyone knows you're screwed if you're caught drink driving and will go to jail. How can a person not accept something they knew would happen if they were caught.

Congrats to yourself and zannie BTW.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

julieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nice

Hi all, hope I am not butting in as a non resident yet, just want to say what I am moving to Dubai for and get your slant on it. Will you roll about in laughter or tell me what I want to hear I wonder.
I am moving out with hubby in August we are in mid forties, our 2 sons are not coming with us as they are at uni and college and wish to finish studies there.
My job is as a teacher Pay only about 11500 dhs a month, but I do get apartment and only pay utilities. Apparantly the apartment is 5 mins from school and no main roads. Hubby looking for work when he arrives. We have some savings, enough to cover his earnings for about 12 months if he doesnt find anything.
I want to move as I am fed up with large class sizes, very little professional development (no courses for 2 years) my new school provides 500 dollars annually for this. The kids are demotivated and think reality tv will sort their futures out. Kids hang around street corners even in quite areas. Big drugs problem in UK many school kids on weed as young as 12. Under age drinking. TAXES on everything, customer service which used to be superb now takes 4-5 hours a night for 4 weeks if ever you have a problem and if you ever dare change suppliers Allah help you, just cost us 400 quid with BT long story. I do realise I will encounter poor customer service there but I would expect worse CS there as I am a immigrant and am unfamiliar with procedures, but not in UK.
Fat cats getting fatter at the expense of all working classes pensioners etc. No dentists, my 17 year old has not been seen for 4 years. Dont know waht has happened in the past 2 years but society seems to be going mad and I cant see improvements.

Many more things but finally the bl**dy weather, Jimmy you say stuck in for 4 months, I have been stuck in for 5 months and this morning I had to scrape ice of cars, god knows when spring is due.

Niave or ready for my new life? Latter I think.

Julie
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:02 am
W10

10 things about Dubai

1, The education system is about one thing, profit and they treat both teachers and pupils fairly badly. Don't come here for a rewarding, life changing teaching experience. From what I can gather it is largely about learned response.
2, Customer service here is an alien concept for the most part
3, There are plenty of taxes here, just hidden
4, You won't get free or subsidised dentistry here, in fact it is more expensive here than going private in the UK and 99% of private health cover doesn't include dental work.
5, Dubai is a city built on, and built for fatcats whose mantra is to screw and exploit everyone, rich and poor.
6, Etisalat is worse than BT...at least you have a choice to switch providers
7, It is - however - still cheaper than the UK in the long run
8, The weather is a bitch in the summer, but isn't as bad as people make out
9, I have no idea about class sizes here but they don't seem to be too bad
10, You will be working with maps which don't feature Israel

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:03 am
W10

PS - You'll be fine on your salary, its a decent deal.
PPS - It's all about the money here...no soul, just cash

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:08 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The other side of Qatar (little jimmy this one is for you :D)

http://www.qatarsucks.com/

Just to let you know everywhere you go there will be always the bad side of it ... (if you know what i mean), Qatar is not always nice you know
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:14 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: The other side of Qatar (little jimmy this one is for you :D)

Originally Posted by novita77

Just to let you know everywhere you go there will be always the bad side of it ... (if you know what i mean), Qatar is not always nice you know
what a great site name, is there a qatarrules.com too?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:11 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77

Yep, Nov. Most of that stuff applies to Dubai as well.

I'm sure there are are plenty of sites slagging of most countries. Belgium probably has the most.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:40 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

1, The education system is about one thing, profit and they treat both teachers and pupils fairly badly. Don't come here for a rewarding, life changing teaching experience. From what I can gather it is largely about learned response.
From what you can gather says it all - from what I recall you don't have any children at school here do you! My daughters teacher has been teaching at the same school here for almost 20 years and is excellent and the standard of education is very good

5, Dubai is a city built on, and built for fatcats whose mantra is to screw and exploit everyone, rich and poor.

Cant see much differnce there than the UK!!

9, I have no idea about class sizes here but they don't seem to be too bad

We have 18 children in the class
W10 I think by now we all know your views on Dubai and as usual most of them are very biased - I don't know why you are always banging on about and taking up the cause of the residents here living on the breadline when as you stated yourself yesterday you are in the top 4% of earners - why not donate some of your salary to help then if it concerns you so greatly. There are people in that situation in every country in the world some governments look after them and some don't thats the choice people have to make!!!!

I'm quite sure no-one wants to read day after day about what the best nail spa is, best hairdresser and who was sat by the beach club pool just as no-one wants to read your comments day after day
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
W10 I think by now we all know your views on Dubai and as usual most of them are very biased - I don't know why you are always banging on about and taking up the cause of the residents here living on the breadline when as you stated yourself yesterday you are in the top 4% of earners - why not donate some of your salary to help then if it concerns you so greatly. There are people in that situation in every country in the world some governments look after them and some don't thats the choice people have to make!!!!

I'm quite sure no-one wants to read day after day about what the best nail spa is, best hairdresser and who was sat by the beach club pool just as no-one wants to read your comments day after day
"who was sitting"....
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:57 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
"who was sitting"....

Not telling you have to pay your entrance fee to get that priviledged information - don't get anything for nothing in this place
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:01 am
W10

Originally Posted by Fairydust
I don't know why you are always banging on about and taking up the cause of the residents here living on the breadline when as you stated yourself yesterday you are in the top 4% of earners - why not donate some of your salary to help then if it concerns you so greatly.
1, It's called a social conscience. Should I forget about the less well off because I'm doing ok?

2, Maybe I do donate...Just a thought. But exactly what I do with regards helping those less well off than me is a private matter.

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:02 am
W10

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Yep, Nov. Most of that stuff applies to Dubai as well.

I'm sure there are are plenty of sites slagging of most countries. Belgium probably has the most.

Belgium gets a bad rep. It's a great little country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.