Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?

View Poll Results: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?
1 week
4.76%
1 month
4.76%
6 months
33.33%
1 year
14.29%
2 years or more
42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Dubai: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?

Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?

Originally Posted by W10

The muslim comment was a flippant one in reply to the old 'if you don't like it then leave' which is often thrown at us...
We had (pardon my ignorance here) arab/muslim or whatever women in NZ being asked not to wear the whole (ignorant again) 'kit' in the public council pools.
So they kicked up a stink and protested....not at having to wear a proper swimsuit....but protesting for their own freaking swimming pool" .......on taxpayer money.:curse:

What i don't understand is I go to other countries and have to live by their rules....but they come to mine and try and change everything.
Muslim woman were told they couldn't wear the veil when apearing in court and they protested. If it was me here I wouldn't have a leg to stand on and have to abide by the rules full stop.

The councils not allowing the use of the term 'christmas' in the UK was just a joke!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:56 pm
W10

Ooooh controversial!

Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:04 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
We had (pardon my ignorance here) arab/muslim or whatever women in NZ being asked not to wear the whole (ignorant again) 'kit' in the public council pools.
So they kicked up a stink and protested....not at having to wear a proper swimsuit....but protesting for their own freaking swimming pool" .......on taxpayer money.:curse:

What i don't understand is I go to other countries and have to live by their rules....but they come to mine and try and change everything.
Muslim woman were told they couldn't wear the veil when apearing in court and they protested. If it was me here I wouldn't have a leg to stand on and have to abide by the rules full stop.

The councils not allowing the use of the term 'christmas' in the UK was just a joke!
A joke it is. It's a non-story exaggerated and perpetuated by the Daily Mail and it's ilk.

And yeah, the Westerners REALLY obey all the laws and customs here and in other ME countries, don't they? Inappropriate dress, drinking (and driving sometimes), making moonshine in Saudi...I could go on.

The way the UAE panders to immigrants is incredible. Point is they have to, because they need the immigrants to build their country. And the UK needs immigrants to keep the public services going. And immigrants like to maintain links with their own culture, because it's what they know. How many Westerners do you know who go round in dish-dashes?

I have lost count of the times people have asked me with a straight face if I left the UK to get away from immigrants.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
A joke it is. It's a non-story exaggerated and perpetuated by the Daily Mail and it's ilk.

And yeah, the Westerners REALLY obey all the laws and customs here and in other ME countries, don't they? Inappropriate dress, drinking (and driving sometimes), making moonshine in Saudi...I could go on.

The way the UAE panders to immigrants is incredible. Point is they have to, because they need the immigrants to build their country. And the UK needs immigrants to keep the public services going. And immigrants like to maintain links with their own culture, because it's what they know. How many Westerners do you know who go round in dish-dashes?

I have lost count of the times people have asked me with a straight face if I left the UK to get away from immigrants.
Some might not 'OBEY' them.....but they for the most part accept the consequences if they get stung. I don't see many westerners trying to actually change the laws.
It was illegal for me to drive my jeep through sharjah full of alcohol.....but when I got pulled over I was prepared to accept the consequences. I got away with it but I didn't complain about the actual incident. It's the law.
I certainly complained about the bueracracy that followed though with the licence.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:12 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Some might not 'OBEY' them.....but they for the most part accept the consequences if they get stung. I don't see many westerners trying to actually change the laws.
It was illegal for me to drive my jeep through sharjah full of alcohol.....but when I got pulled over I was prepared to accept the consequences. I got away with it but I didn't complain about the actual incident. It's the law.
I certainly complained about the bueracracy that followed though with the licence.
You did complain then. And the letters pages and the internet forums are full of people complaining about stuff including medieval legal systems and traffic and wasta and so on and so on...
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:17 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

my favorite is when there is a dry night....the total panick and confusion...time and time again....
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
You did complain then. And the letters pages and the internet forums are full of people complaining about stuff including medieval legal systems and traffic and wasta and so on and so on...
I complained about the fact that no one could tell me the proper office to go to or no one knew how to do their job etc etc. and that everyone I dealt with was basically useless.
I didn't complain and request change to any law.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:18 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by MataHari
my favorite is when there is a dry night....the total panick and confusion...time and time again....
I'm OK. I still wear a nappy at night.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

i have been here about 2 years now, and TBH the whole Dubai 'falsness' is getting to me a bit.

The double cheek kissing, the stuck up element of british ex-pats who think that they are totally a cut above everyone else--you know the type!

I constantly have to listen to these garbling wanabee's who back in the UK would be stacking shelves in Waitrose go on about how great they are.

Anyway, each to their own. I am going to spend my next few years here quietly, continue to pretend to be busy work in my overpaid and underworked job, living in my free villa with my free car run on free petrol, chilling with my free air conditioning.

Yes i am lucky, but this site is anonymous, nobody knows me. I do not feel the need to stand at Barasti's and spout off how rich i am and what a great life i have.

then ill go back to reality.

If people hate it so much, then they should leave. Otherwise just get on with it

rant over

Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:23 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I don't kiss...and I am not British...you did not offend me
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:46 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Muslim woman were told they couldn't wear the veil when apearing in court and they protested

Recently I heard on the news that a law is to be passed that states that anything that covers the face or head is to be banned in schools - All to do with security and not complying with school dress code which does not represent the school uniform.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I don't kiss...and I am not British...you did not offend me
you dont kiss???
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Recently I heard on the news that a law is to be passed that states that anything that covers the face or head is to be banned in schools - All to do with security and not complying with school dress code which does not represent the school uniform.
Im sure there was a case recently in the UK regarding this. I cant recall the outcome, but the Muslim schoolgirl took the school to court as they suspended her for refusing to remove her burka (sp)

I beleive that you should play by the rules of the country that you are in.

During Ramadan, i respect the rules regarding eating/drinking althou i am not a muslim. The day i dont retain a degree of respect for the country that i am residing in, is the day i will go (prob for my own safety )
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:00 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
Im sure there was a case recently in the UK regarding this. I cant recall the outcome, but the Muslim schoolgirl took the school to court as they suspended her for refusing to remove her burka (sp)

During Ramadan, i respect the rules regarding eating/drinking althou i am not a muslim. The day i dont retain a degree of respect for the country that i am residing in, is the day i will go (prob for my own safety )

She lost the case as did a few other girls that tried to go against the ruling!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:18 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad

You're in a minority then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.