Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?

View Poll Results: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?
1 week
4.76%
1 month
4.76%
6 months
33.33%
1 year
14.29%
2 years or more
42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Dubai: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?

Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?

Originally Posted by MataHari
Been here over 2 years and I still like it very much....it's not 'doing my head in' at all....we have all we could wish for here. It's not as if we were living in paridise back home, and it's not paridise here...
There's good and bad things everywhere but so far so good. Maybe everything was better 5 or 10 years ago, but that's of no concern to us, we only know the here and now.
Seconded! I've been here nealy four years but I think if you are happy or not depends on what is on the inside not what is on the outside. I get bad days (and weeks!) and good days but then, I did back home as well. Remember, the reasons for leaving wherever "home" was are probably still there and still valid.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:26 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Seconded! I've been here nealy four years but I think if you are happy or not depends on what is on the inside not what is on the outside. I get bad days (and weeks!) and good days but then, I did back home as well. Remember, the reasons for leaving wherever "home" was are probably still there and still valid.
Somewhat self-constradictory there, BR. If that was true, no-one would move anywhere in the first place, they would just stay happy in the place they started. Britain isn't crap just because what's inside us. It's a mixture of who you are as a person and how different external influences affect you. People like different things, and are affected in different ways.

Just my opinion, of course.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:44 am
Just Joined

lornorder is an unknown quantity at this point

well- if she's as clever as you are beautiful, then its plain sailing...(cheeeeezy)

ps. I'm happily married!!

pps. It is your photo izzzn't it????

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Hi,

We think she will easily crack the entrance tests

Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:46 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

But it's not the country that makes you happy is it...it's what you make of it. I am not always walking around singing, but then I wasn't in Holland either. We just take all the opportunities Dubai has to offer and enjoy them as much as we can. There is trafficjams back home as well, red tape, taxes etc etc.
We came here not because we were unhappy back home, but because we wanted to try a different thing as a family and so far we have succeeded in doing that.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:48 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

oh...and I know it's spelled paradise....
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:50 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with BR on this one - we've been here nearly 4 years as well. Good months bad months but on the whole we are happy here. Also as GA said no point constantly moaning about traffic, red tape etc etc as nothing you say will change it you just have to deal with it as part and parcel of being here. My daughter definately has a better life here than in UK and for me as long as she is happy - job done
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:52 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
But it's not the country that makes you happy is it...it's what you make of it. I am not always walking around singing, but then I wasn't in Holland either. We just take all the opportunities Dubai has to offer and enjoy them as much as we can. There is trafficjams back home as well, red tape, taxes etc etc.
We came here not because we were unhappy back home, but because we wanted to try a different thing as a family and so far we have succeeded in doing that.
I'm not saying it's the country, and I'm not saying it's the person, it's both. Everyone's different, and they are all influenced in different ways by different things. If I have to type different again, I'll scream and scream until I'm sick.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:52 am
hmmmm...nice

and all those people that moan about the temperature in the summer....
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:54 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I'm not saying it's the country, and I'm not saying it's the person, it's both. Everyone's different, and they are all influenced in different ways by different things. If I have to type different again, I'll scream and scream until I'm sick.
no need to scream....
I just wonder what you expected Dubai to be....what kind of expections you had of your life here and how it's happend that it isn't what you had hoped for.
Of course everybody is different....
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:55 am
Just Joined

fantastic attitude- that's why we only live to say 60 years- why would anyone not want experience as much of this beautiful globe of ours as possible? surely this helps dispel fears and prejudices- at the end of the day we all seem to be astonishingly similar- it's fear and ignorance that helps these politicians divide us all...VIOLIN PLEASE!!!.

[QUOTE=MataHari;4541431]but because we wanted to try a different thing as a family QUOTE]
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:55 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

and the cold in winter ..............
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:57 am
Its all good

Originally Posted by lornorder
fantastic attitude- that's why we only live to say 60 years- why would anyone not want experience as much of this beautiful globe of ours as possible? surely this helps dispel fears and prejudices- at the end of the day we all seem to be astonishingly similar- it's fear and ignorance that helps these politicians divide us all...VIOLIN PLEASE!!!.

Thats rather profound - been on the pop already
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:58 am
Just Joined

HEY littlejimmy...i'm on yer side too mate- you've been through a bit of the 'eupohora', now hitting the skids and making some mental adjustments...soon you'll be back on the balance beam mate, just you wait and see...
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:59 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Fairydust
and the cold in winter ..............
and the rain....
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:00 am
Its all good

Anyway I'm just off for a swim in my pool - oh to be back in the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.