British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-how-long-did-take-novelty-wear-off-436041/)

littlejimmy Mar 20th 2007 5:21 pm

Dubai: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?

WARNING: WHINGE ALERT!

For me, after 8 months, Dubai is starting to seriously do my ****ing head in. The traffic, the shocking driving, the hassle of red tape, the sandstorms, the lack of real culture and natural beauty, the fakeness, the inequality, the crappy customer service, the goddam expense; they're all slowly boring into me, grinding me down and making the enjoyment of the place less and less.

I don't think I'll be staying beyond my year's contract. But where to go? Not back to the UK, no way. If there's somewhere else in the Middle East that has the good aspects of Dubai, but without the hassle, please tell me now. Oman? Qatar? Bahrain?

expat.brat Mar 20th 2007 5:37 pm

Re: Dubai: How long did it take for the novelty to wear off?

Out of curiosity, where were you in the UK before you moved to Dubai?

littlejimmy Mar 20th 2007 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 4539055)
Out of curiosity, where were you in the UK before you moved to Dubai?

North Yorkshire. It's not a bad place, really. It's just the weather and the people that pissed me off.

You?

novita77 Mar 20th 2007 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4538996)
WARNING: WHINGE ALERT!

For me, after 8 months, Dubai is starting to seriously do my ****ing head in. The traffic, the shocking driving, the hassle of red tape, the sandstorms, the lack of real culture and natural beauty, the fakeness, the inequality, the crappy customer service, the goddam expense; they're all slowly boring into me, grinding me down and making the enjoyment of the place less and less.

I don't think I'll be staying beyond my year's contract. But where to go? Not back to the UK, no way. If there's somewhere else in the Middle East that has the good aspects of Dubai, but without the hassle, please tell me now. Oman? Qatar? Bahrain?

Qatar would be very similar of Dubai ... but in the smaller scope. I think you will have to think in more positive way wherever you go... :)

littlejimmy Mar 20th 2007 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by novita77 (Post 4539136)
Qatar would be very similar of Dubai ... but in the smaller scope. I think you will have to think in more positive way wherever you go... :)

Yeah, I know what you mean, nov. Reading what I posted back now makes me feel a bit self-conscious. I am having a bad week or two with various things, and the minor irritations are amplified, I think. I like a good whinge now and again.

Still, I definitely think the novelty has worn off.

IndieG Mar 20th 2007 6:35 pm

In my case not a question of novelty but just seemed a practical move at the time - didn't want to live far away from India (couldn't bear to live more than 3 hrs flying time from my parents:o ) and wanted to save as well. Dubai seemed the best option.

But the day we are both unhappy with our jobs/2009, whichever is earlier, we move to Melbourne. Luckily my sister and her family have just moved next door to my parents, so I'm not too worried about not being readily available if they need us :)

Once the kids have finished their education and are independent, we would like to eventually settle down in India (Shimla or maybe Bangalore.....).

novita77 Mar 20th 2007 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4539146)
Yeah, I know what you mean, nov. Reading what I posted back now makes me feel a bit self-conscious. I am having a bad week or two with various things, and the minor irritations are amplified, I think. I like a good whinge now and again.

Still, I definitely think the novelty has worn off.

You will have to see my husband ... whinge on everything ... whinge on his job, whinge on the driving, whinge on the red tape ... etc etc ... But he said he can't find anywhere else working hours 6.30 to 2.30pm and only 5 days a week. :D

How about your family Jimmy? Is your wife and kids happy there?

novita77 Mar 20th 2007 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 4539235)
In my case not a question of novelty but just seemed a practical move at the time - didn't want to live far away from India (couldn't bear to live more than 3 hrs flying time from my parents:o ) and wanted to save as well. Dubai seemed the best option.

But the day we are both unhappy with our jobs/2009, whichever is earlier, we move to Melbourne. Luckily my sister and her family have just moved next door to my parents, so I'm not too worried about not being readily available if they need us :)

Once the kids have finished their education and are independent, we would like to eventually settle down in India (Shimla or maybe Bangalore.....).

lucky you, you know where you want to settle down. We have no idea where we will end up yet ... :confused:

lornorder Mar 20th 2007 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 4539235)
we move to Melbourne. .

hi, melbourne is a fantastic city- only downside is government schools- VERY average/ poor services/infrastructure/ teachers attitude is disgraceful but in their defense they have no power to discipline kids properly- if you can afford it save for a private school- they get more funding from the government schools - hows that for stupidity....unfortunately its all going the american way.

Vimto Mar 20th 2007 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by lornorder (Post 4539938)
hi, melbourne is a fantastic city- only downside is government schools- VERY average/ poor services/infrastructure/ teachers attitude is disgraceful but in their defense they have no power to discipline kids properly- if you can afford it save for a private school- they get more funding from the government schools - hows that for stupidity....unfortunately its all going the american way.

I spent a total of 8 years in Sharjah and Dubai and left only late last year, it was easier back in the earlier days, when I moved to Al Basha in 2001 there were only 2 apartment buildings, it was called 'Hiroshima' because it looked like the bomb had been dropped on it, by the time I left we couldnt get any Satellite TV and had no cell phone coverage because our building was dwafted by all the new construction.
I was lucky I was transfered out of Dubai because if not I would have upped sticks this year, as Littlejimmy says the place just does your head in much more than anywhere else I have lived.

Blue Cat Mar 21st 2007 4:10 am

Agreed Jimmy but where to move to is always a problem. I as most of you know would love to stay in the UAE but move to another Emirate. Is that not a possibility for you. Are you in construction?? why not look at RAK. If I was planning on leaving the UAE all together I would seriously look into Muscat. Nice place, nice people, traffic not too bad. Good standard of living and weather good, though well chilly in the winter! still can't complain though. Not sure about schooling but there is a good expatriate community there too.

Qatar - was on my mind a few years back but I think it will be turning into Dubai soon! Novita is best person to ask.

Bahrain is nice too but I couldn't see myself living there permanently though I have a few friends who went from here to there and have never looked back.

Chin up lad, it's nearly the weekend! I work with expatriate women and one bit of advice I give all of them (had alot of very depressed and tearful women on my hands) is ACCCEPT DUBAI FOR WHAT IT IS - the traffic aint going to change etc etc, accept, laugh at it, and tackle it as a challenge. Not easy when you aint been here long but that is the best advice I can give.

:thumbup:

MataHari Mar 21st 2007 4:34 am

Been here over 2 years and I still like it very much....it's not 'doing my head in' at all....we have all we could wish for here. It's not as if we were living in paridise back home, and it's not paridise here...
There's good and bad things everywhere but so far so good. Maybe everything was better 5 or 10 years ago, but that's of no concern to us, we only know the here and now.

novita77 Mar 21st 2007 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4540915)
Agreed Jimmy but where to move to is always a problem. I as most of you know would love to stay in the UAE but move to another Emirate. Is that not a possibility for you. Are you in construction?? why not look at RAK. If I was planning on leaving the UAE all together I would seriously look into Muscat. Nice place, nice people, traffic not too bad. Good standard of living and weather good, though well chilly in the winter! still can't complain though. Not sure about schooling but there is a good expatriate community there too.

Qatar - was on my mind a few years back but I think it will be turning into Dubai soon! Novita is best person to ask.

Bahrain is nice too but I couldn't see myself living there permanently though I have a few friends who went from here to there and have never looked back.

Chin up lad, it's nearly the weekend! I work with expatriate women and one bit of advice I give all of them (had alot of very depressed and tearful women on my hands) is ACCCEPT DUBAI FOR WHAT IT IS - the traffic aint going to change etc etc, accept, laugh at it, and tackle it as a challenge. Not easy when you aint been here long but that is the best advice I can give.

:thumbup:

BC ... just being nosey here ... how long have u been there and how many more years you will be there???

IndieG Mar 21st 2007 6:12 am

Originally Posted by lornorder (Post 4539938)

Hi,

Melbourne is lovely, but so expensive! We can afford to send them to MGGS, but I don't think it will come to that....

I've already shortlisted their schools:

For the older kid - MacRobertsons - supposed to be the top govt school for girls. They have an entrance test (she will sit it in 2009). She will also sit the ACER test for scholarship in independent schools. We think she will easily crack the entrance tests:cool:

For the younger one - primary at Glen Waverley or the primary school in Malvern - both are supposed to be very good govt schools (nephew studied there).

fazzo Mar 21st 2007 8:13 am

i feel your pain :( been here 6 months now and its recently starting to eat at me. not sure i want to go back to the uk just yet.. what with all these recent murders.. :unsure: