Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Housing Prices Tumble To 2008 Levels

Dubai Housing Prices Tumble To 2008 Levels

Old Sep 18th 2019, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Housing Prices Tumble To 2008 Levels

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The successful investor is one who can make money (or at least minimize losses) when they roll the 1. Everyone thinks they can win on the upside (and sometimes they do) but the real winner is the person who manages the downside properly.
Id rather be the broker in all of this and take a nice sizeable commission/spread and feed you "highly advanced research" in order for you to churn your accounts !
Old Sep 18th 2019, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Id rather be the broker in all of this and take a nice sizeable commission/spread and feed you "highly advanced research" in order for you to churn your accounts !
True - or better trade with OPM.

In my line of work we always try and avoid mediated deals. They usually only work only for two people: the seller and the broker.

Old Sep 18th 2019, 10:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The successful investor is one who can make money (or at least minimize losses) when they roll the 1. Everyone thinks they can win on the upside (and sometimes they do) but the real winner is the person who manages the downside properly.
Thing is, you only lose if you sell at a loss. Holding isn't losing.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Thing is, you only lose if you sell at a loss. Holding isn't losing.
I've sold at a headline loss and come out completely clean. No gain, no loss, money back. That's proper investment structuring - manage the downsides and the upside will take care of itself.

Old Sep 18th 2019, 11:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I've sold at a headline loss and come out completely clean. No gain, no loss, money back. That's proper investment structuring - manage the downsides and the upside will take care of itself.
Sometimes you just have to step back, look at yourself in the mirror, realise you're a demi-God and accept that you've won at life already. That's how I play it anyway.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you just have to step back, look at yourself in the mirror, realise you're a demi-God and accept that you've won at life already. That's how I play it anyway.

Are you selling yourself short (pun intended)
Old Sep 18th 2019, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Are you selling yourself short (pun intended)
Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm a genuine, complete God.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nah, it's a fairly standard provision we negotiated - but the principle is right, when you invest you should look at all the possible ways you will lose the money and try and mitigate as many of them as possible. Most people only look at the ways it will make them rich.

Using the dice rolling analogy... where 1 is a loss, 3 is break even, 6 is a great deal, of the deals done in our current fund, we have:
3 (which we thought would be a 6 but we didn't lose anything so all good),
6 (which I thought would be a three - all down to luck),
1 (which I think will be a one, but others think it will be a five/six)
3 (which I think will be a three, but others think it will be a two)
3/4 (which I think will be a three/four, others agree)
5 (which I think will be a three)

So you can see - in a standard fund we expect to lose on one, make out on two, and break even on three. That's how it rolls in reality - anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. We have one deal that is a swing deal which will basically make us kings, or just above average. If we stay on this track we will be one of the best performing regional funds, but note, it is a very low bar.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Nah, it's a fairly standard provision we negotiated - but the principle is right, when you invest you should look at all the possible ways you will lose the money and try and mitigate as many of them as possible. Most people only look at the ways it will make them rich.

Using the dice rolling analogy... where 1 is a loss, 3 is break even, 6 is a great deal, of the deals done in our current fund, we have:
3 (which we thought would be a 6 but we didn't lose anything so all good),
6 (which I thought would be a three - all down to luck),
1 (which I think will be a one, but others think it will be a five/six)
3 (which I think will be a three, but others think it will be a two)
3/4 (which I think will be a three/four, others agree)
5 (which I think will be a three)

So you can see - in a standard fund we expect to lose on one, make out on two, and break even on three. That's how it rolls in reality - anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. We have one deal that is a swing deal which will basically make us kings, or just above average. If we stay on this track we will be one of the best performing regional funds, but note, it is a very low bar.
You're not really mitigating any of the rolls individually, but working on having a basket of goods in your favour. Basically by rolling enough and ensuring one of them has only got a 4,5 or 6 on it.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're not really mitigating any of the rolls individually, but working on having a basket of goods in your favour. Basically by rolling enough and ensuring one of them has only got a 4,5 or 6 on it.
Actually, we try and do both. The portfolio affect as well as individual risk mitigation... for instance, the first deal which we thought was a six, was almost nearly a one. We got a three due to us spotting a misalignment of interests risk and negotiating a provision to protect us for it. Kind of like weighting the dice a bit in your favor.

Old Sep 18th 2019, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

Actually, we try and do both. The portfolio affect as well as individual risk mitigation... for instance, the first deal which we thought was a six, was almost nearly a one. We got a three due to us spotting a misalignment of interests risk and negotiating a provision to protect us for it. Kind of like weighting the dice a bit in your favor.
Interesting stuff mate, sounds like you were on a roll.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting stuff mate, sounds like you were on a roll.
nah, itโ€™s luck. One deal caught us on the upside by surprise ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Old Sep 19th 2019, 4:17 am
Account Closed

nah, itโ€™s luck. One deal caught us on the upside by surprise ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Did you deliberately ignore my dice pun?
Old Sep 19th 2019, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did you deliberately ignore my dice pun?
I saw it.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

The true "guru" knows that long term success is less about the picks and all about a staking plan that can withstand variance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.