Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Housing Prices Tumble To 2008 Levels

Dubai Housing Prices Tumble To 2008 Levels

Old Sep 5th 2019, 6:35 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Housing Prices Tumble To 2008 Levels

Originally Posted by Millhouse
And the pace of the slowdown is accelerating.
I'm predicting the positive news story in a few months will be that the pace of the slowdown is decreasing. Invest! Invest!

The interesting part for me is to see in my lifetime potentially a full state boom-bust cycle. Assuming the majority of debt is held in Dirhams, a titanic currency unpegging and devaluation would be a thing of beauty.

Last edited by weasel decentral; Sep 5th 2019 at 6:38 am.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I'm predicting the positive news story in a few months will be that the pace of the slowdown is decreasing. Invest! Invest!

The interesting part for me is to see in my lifetime potentially a full state boom-bust cycle. Assuming the majority of debt is held in Dirhams, a titanic currency unpegging and devaluation would be a thing of beauty.
I read a headline yesterday saying that Dubai property has never been cheaper and now is the time to invest. I read the same headline a year ago. I love a positive spin on a truly negative event - last one was the Chinese are piling in...
Old Sep 5th 2019, 7:28 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I read a headline yesterday saying that Dubai property has never been cheaper and now is the time to invest. I read the same headline a year ago. I love a positive spin on a truly negative event - last one was the Chinese are piling in...
The beauty of Dubai is that the nature of the immigrant population means that they have to push this narrative also, if the wheels fall off they have to return home too. It's an even more raw capitalism than the US
Old Sep 5th 2019, 7:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

HSBC texted me yesterday, pre approved for a loan - again - up to 400 and something thousand.

Pretty sure no bank in the UK ever texted me to tell me I could have best part of a hundred grand if I fancied it, on a whim.

TERRIFYING.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
The beauty of Dubai is that the nature of the immigrant population means that they have to push this narrative also, if the wheels fall off they have to return home too. It's an even more raw capitalism than the US
It's beautiful. Although probably a good time to look to partner with China given their newfound desperation.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 9:42 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I had an email not that long ago from ENBD to say I was pre-approved for a loan on a Lamborghini Hurucan - literally said 'click here and it will be processed on 0.5 working days'
If I was 10 years younger (or pissed when reading the email) I'd have clicked.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://m.nasdaq.com/article/dubai-h...20190905-00003

More doom and gloom. Difficult for a market based only on confidence.

Old Sep 9th 2019, 5:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

https://m.nasdaq.com/article/dubai-h...20190905-00003

More doom and gloom. Difficult for a market based only on confidence.

Yanni, what oversubbly?
Old Sep 9th 2019, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

On the radio news yesterday "There's great news for property prices in Dubai, it's cheaper than ever to buy".

Shakes head - or should that be Sheikh's head?
Old Sep 9th 2019, 5:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
On the radio news yesterday "There's great news for property prices in Dubai, it's cheaper than ever to buy".

Shakes head - or should that be Sheikh's head?
Technically correct but terrible sentiment.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

And there's more..
https://www.ameinfo.com/industry/rea...all-into-2021?
Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

30% below replacement cost... shit, if that's true we still have a long way to go.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:36 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a grim read for anyone with property in Dubai.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
That's a grim read for anyone with property in Dubai.

I'm thankful every day I didn't change my tune and actually took the plunge!
Old Sep 12th 2019, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I'm thankful every day I didn't change my tune and actually took the plunge!
I almost did but managed to back out by paying off an agent to make the problem disappear. Love Dubai.

Last edited by Millhouse; Sep 12th 2019 at 11:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.