Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai..Heat and Renting Property Advice..

Dubai..Heat and Renting Property Advice..

Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

cozza101uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai..Heat and Renting Property Advice..

Hi.

Hope you can help. I've never lived in a "hot" country before and don't like the intense heat.

I'm possibly moving to Dubai soon and have read that while it's ideal through winter, right now it's more than 40 degrees. Do you know of people who simply can't stand the heat? I realise there's air conditioning everywhere, but even so, is it unbearable?

Are all apartments air conditioned? Or are they more expensive? And what would be a reasonable monthly rental price for a 1 bedroom apartment near Media City?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks a lot.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:09 pm
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai..Heat and Renting Property Advice..

Hi Cozza

Welcome to the site.

Ask any friend of mine, as they laughed when I told them I was moving to Dubai, as like you I'd never lived in a hot country before and I can't stand hot weather (normally). It's probably because I'm very fair skinned and burn very easily.

I've been out here three weeks and yes it is very, very hot and humid, but I've been told this weather lasts the best part of three months, the other months have beautiful warm, sunny weather and the humidity is much lower.

So far, it's not been as bad as I've expected and your body will get used to it, I'm starting to already. Everywhere is air conditioned and you'll notice at this time of year everyone "hibernates" inside until September!! Then it's al fresco all the way!!!

As for apartments, my Husband works at Media City and we rent a villa in The Springs which is very close. There is a place called the Greens in the same area which are apartments, try Better Homes (sorry don't know their number, but they do have a website) or look up Gulf News Classifieds for apartment/villa rental listings.

Good luck

Zannie x
Old Jun 27th 2005, 6:43 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cozza101uk
Hi.

Hope you can help. I've never lived in a "hot" country before and don't like the intense heat.

I'm possibly moving to Dubai soon and have read that while it's ideal through winter, right now it's more than 40 degrees. Do you know of people who simply can't stand the heat? I realise there's air conditioning everywhere, but even so, is it unbearable?

Are all apartments air conditioned? Or are they more expensive? And what would be a reasonable monthly rental price for a 1 bedroom apartment near Media City?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

it gets hot , damn hot !
highest recorded temp here is 57C that was in the 90's

for rents check search online but probably anything from 50k to 150k a year
Old Jun 27th 2005, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Sher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant future

Hi Cozza,

Have just come back from Dubai and yes it is very HOT. The fact that there is air-conditioning everywhere does help.

With regards to rental, we have a 1 bed Aprtment to rent in The Greens which is near Media City.

Email me if you are interested.

Take care

Sher
Old Jun 27th 2005, 11:07 pm
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Up until last year, summers were actually too cold in Dubai, because everyone had the A/C up to full whack, possibly for ostentation but who knows?

At any time of year I recommend always taking an extra jacket/wrap wherever you go, because indoors A/C is ubiquitous, and you often end up at a restaurant or office desk directly in an icy blast.

In terms of the heat outside: it is far too high to bear comfortably. Your only defence against it is loose, white, cotton clothes. These literally act as armour against the sun. That's harder for a man, but men might try light, pale linen trousers and a white cotton shirt.

Otherwise, you'll just have to sweat and roast even walking a few metres between your car and your office/home. If you are a sweating-person, you'll be dripping, so take a tip and always keep a couple of clean shirts in your office.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

The cheapest apartments near Media City are at The Greens which is (literally) just across the road. For a one bedroom (about 740 sq ft) you are looking at about 55,000 to 60,000 per year. That is unfurnished but includes airconditioning, use of the pool and gym and one underground parking space. A letting agent will charge you an extra 5% for the privilige of finding you somewhere. Furthur away, but slightly cheaper is Discovery Gardens but as far as I'm aware there is still a waiting list there.

Don't worry too much about the heat, I find it about as unpleasant as Northern England was in the winter. In the UK I just didn't go outside much for 3 months of the year. Here it is the same but they are a different 3 months. It is still possible to do outdoor sports in the middle of summer (running, biking, swimming) but you have to get up early. (Very early, like about 5am). The air conditioning everywhere takes the edge off and unless you have a job where you spend a lot of time outside (showing people around houses for example) then really it isn't such a problem. There are many reasons for not liking Dubai but the climates isn't really one of them.